Here we go again...

Started by vx220, September 7, 2016, 09:41

vx220

...parts arriving for new install.

Left over from my previous (stolen) MR2, I have

Cheap Pioneer components (tsa1604) missing their tweeters

In the spare room (stuff I hadn't got round to installing when the car got stolen)

Pioneer gmd1004 amp, to drive tweeters and MBs actively at 4x45wrms

A miniDSP 2x4 to do EQ, crossover and time-alignment for the front stage

Some leftover sound-deadening (NOT flashing tape!)

Arrived today

Another miniDSP 2x4, to EQ, TA and crossover sub from front stage

Arriving soon

New Ground Zero tweeters

More sound-deadening (NOT flashing tape!)

Some sticky CCF to stop door card vibrating against the door

Still to order

Assorted cables and fittings

2x Kenwood KSC-SW11 active subwoofers

vx220

System will run as follows...

Line out from the Pioneer head unit that was in the MR2 when I got it

Into miniDSP #1, which will split the signal into sub and everything else (hpf), and TA and EQ the subs. I'll be able to EQ and TA each sub independently, and this miniDSP will allow me to match the response of the components by EQ-ing the left and right separately, using a 31band GEQ

The HPF output of the first miniDSP goes into the second, which allows each of the four component speakers to be EQ'd and TA'd individually, and their response smoothed using six bands of parametric EQ per channel, and a further six bands of PEQ per side.

Doors will be well deadened, original mounting used for component speakers, one ksc-sw11 under the dash in the traditional roadster place, one in the passenger footwell (suitably protected)

shnazzle

LIke the sound of that. If I didn;t sometimes passenger in my own car, I'd consider a 2nd sub in the passenger foot well.
I like the idea of the miniDSPs to control sound stage etc.
You'll have to explain that to me sometime later.

Did I misunderstand or are you putting in 4 component speakers? Or do you mean 2 mid and 2 tweeters?
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Did I misunderstand or are you putting in 4 component speakers? Or do you mean 2 mid and 2 tweeters?

Sorry, two tweeters and two mid-bass

m https://www.minidsp.com/products m  has all the details, and a good forum as well

For people my age, if you can remember high end car audio equalisers that were about a foot square (and you needed one for each channel, left and right) and active crossovers (about the same size again!) with a million slidey sliders and dials, now it's all in two boxes, each the size of packet of cigarettes (roughly, I don't smoke) It needs to be set-up by a laptop, but then runs on its own after that

Also able to delay individual speakers so signals arrive at the same time, despite (for instance) one of my subs being just above my ankles, the other will be further away on the other side of the car.

I hope nobody thinks I know what I'm doing! The laptop side of it will be completely new to me, might turn it into an IT project for the kids at school to hide my IT weaknesses...

vx220

Subs awaiting "click and collect" at Argos, everything else here except some minor bits and pieces...

...and now come the excuses!

It used to be the three "w's" holding me up (work, wife and weather) now it's FIVE

Work, wife and weather all remain, but now we're about to add "Westie", a rescue dog arriving on Sunday, and our fostering placement has had his Work experience delayed. I am looking out of the window at perfect install weather, but I can't do it while he's here. Too many questions, and too much chance of him bragging about it to the local scrotes! GRRRRR!!!

vx220

Well, here's my monthly update!

Today was my first opportunity to get anything done, but of course it was raining. Once it had blown over I got out there and got some relays moved to make way for the drivers side sub, and got the bracket made for that as well. It is supported in five separate places, using Toyota bolt holes, and the bracket prevents the sub swinging under cornering or acceleration/braking. I'm going to be deadening the bracket tonight, then actually mount it and the sub in tomorrow (5 w's permitting)

The passenger side sub will be easier, as no real need for bracketry, just getting screwed to the carpet. However, I do have to protect the sub from wandering feet! My plan is for a deadened aluminium panel across the footwell, with clearance underneath for the sub. I have some L shaped aluminium extrusion to give it strength. This will all be carpeted, and will cost about four inches of leg room, but will be basically invisible from outside (unless you really knew what you were looking for)

I had a play around with the MiniDSPs, and it looks like I can get both of them in the dashtop cubby, which will allow easy access for adjustments. I am also hoping to get the little Pioneer amp under the dash somewhere, as this would leave my bins completely free and reduce the lengths of my RCAs (not worried about the length of my power cable, as its a low power system, 35a max)

Wish me luck

vx220

Ok, sub bracket deadened and in, passenger door mostly deadened (just needs sealing once I've run new speaker cables). I did almost 100% of the outer door skin, and covered the side impact bar, followed by stuffing CCF between the bar and the door skin.

Looks like my amp is going to go under the passenger seat, as any space for it under the dash lacks anywhere to mount it to. If I mount it sideways under the front of the seat it clears quite easily. Did I mention it's tiny?

That's all for this week, hopefully my diary is looking good for Thursday and Friday next week as well...

vx220

Quote from: "vx220"my diary is looking good for Thursday and Friday next week as well...

Finally, it looks like I can give this a proper go!

Finished fostering, New job working with kids in a residential setting. Been working silly hours (70+ a week at one point) but now have five days off booked for next week...

Itching to get this finished, praying for dry weather!!!

vx220

Remade my bracket for the sub under the dash, taking some inspiration from Mulaz thread I managed to get BOTH Kenwood Ksc-sw11 active subs under the drivers side. They're back to back, one fires up and one down. Hoping that the fact they fire in opposite directions will cancel some dash vibration.

Got creative in clamping them together! Cut six lengths of glue stick for the hot glue gun, and pressed them into the casting holes in the aluminium backs. That stops them wobbling while the brackets stop the whole package moving up, down, backwards, forwards or sideways! Bracket now locates to six mounting bolts, with some further cable tie supports as well.

Will get them wired tomorrow, assuming weather ok. Got one door to deaden, and a tweeter mount to do (will get pics of that, my phone won't focus up under the dash) then sort wiring for amps and miniDSPs.

vx220

Guys, an apology. They DO fit, but I have had to trim my shin panel and relocate the OBD port! Think I rushed to post yesterday...

Single one WILL fit without trimming the shin panel

vx220

Now have both doors deadened and CCF'd, wires pulled through to run active.
I have Weds, Thurs and Friday to work on it, hoping for weather to continue!

vx220

RAIN!!! RRRAAAAAIIINNIIIIING!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:x :x s:x    sarsehole arsehole sarsehole    sarsehole arsehole sarsehole    sarsehole arsehole sarsehole  

I have my tweeter mount to do, and the Westie to walk, hopefully dry after that.

vx220

Still raining, so here is my completed tweeter mount next to a standard Toyota one...

...assuming my IT skills worked.

Still raining, BTW   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

shnazzle

Really curious to see pics of the subs in place and the DSPs.
I don't think I'll go to these lengths to improve my audio, as I'm quite content with it as it is, but this does look to be quite a well thought out plan.

Out of curiosity, and as I have done this, ...what's your gripe with flashing tape?  s:) :) s:)  It made a hell of a difference to the sound when i put it in. And I only really covered the holes
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

I have some kind of curious on/off OCD I think!

I love unusual solutions to problems (for example I'm currently using a tapered abrasive stone designed to remove the hard skin on old people's feet to gently remove the plastic inside the tweeter housing, so as to maintain a perfect circle and get it just big enough. It is a new one, never used on an old person's foot!) but some things really bug me.

When I did my first deadening (probably 20+yrs ago?) Dynamat was mega money, cheap alternatives were limited to bodyshop type deadening, which I used. But nowadays deadening is cheaper, for about £70 I've done two mr2s, including a fair bit under the bins and firewall, and have a sheet left over. I could have saved half that using flashing tape, but the tests I've seen say you need between twice as much and four times as much as with the proper stuff. Also, there's been some stories about it coming off, and smelling, so to save £30-£40 I wasn't going to risk it.

As well as covering the holes, I have deadened the outer door skin and the crash bars.

It's just me, I'm able to create (and live with) some awful bodges! Some things though, I just can't...

shnazzle

Your way is definitely the correct way. Stick with it!
I tend to bodge and then improve it over time, cumulatively spending more than if I would just do it properly in the first place.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

One of the directors of the company I work for said I'm a "complex fellow, to the point of mental illness"

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"I tend to bodge and then improve it over time, cumulatively spending more than if I would just do it properly in the first place.

That has happened to me.

I'm now about £250 in with the miniDSP, starting off at half that (which would have worked for my initial passive install) but when my amp stopped working I decided to go active, which meant two miniDSPs. At that point they probably don't make sense. But I've started, so I'll finish!

Anyway, let me get on with my other tweeter while it rains!

vx220

Other tweeter finished, except I've managed to detach one of the ####ing leads!

My soldering is probably the skill I am least proud of, so I'm gonna head down to our local car audio place to see if can be saved...

vx220

Quote from: "vx220"Other tweeter finished, except I've managed to detach one of the ####ing leads!

My soldering is probably the skill I am least proud of, so I'm gonna head down to our local car audio place to see if can be saved...

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  New tweeters ordered  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Today I have wired the power supply for the miniDSPs, run the main power cable from the engine compartment, run speaker cables to drivers side storage (where amp and miniDSPs  will be), fitted the subwoofer level control under the head unit and found an earth.

Bit fed up, as I'm waiting on some RCAs to be delivered so I can button it all up, and its been such a beautiful day I could have been out all day, top down!

vx220

Bit cheerier, RCAs are here and run. However, it turned out I hadn't linked up the remote-on to the head unit, so one step forward and one back!

I can see an end in sight, now. I only have tomorrow before I go back to work, would be nice to get it playing at least before then.

Still kind of pooing myself regarding the IT side of the miniDSPs...

vx220

What do you reckon?  (assuming my pic works...)

vx220

TURN THE KEY, STEREO COMES ON, AERIAL RISES (as they should do, on standard waiting...) BUT NO POWER TO AMP, NO POWER TO MINIDSPS!!!  ####! ****!!!

Just as I'm about to throw up, I remember the shiny fuse sitting on the windowsill indoors...

Great success!

JoeCool

Tweets look spot on. Like the dsp idea, I miss my p88 rsii which had all that built in per channel.

I've got an audiosystems twister F2 which I think would be ideal for this car. But mine is just so loud already. I'd just do a passive install of something like the pioneer 16cm components with 20mm silk dome tweeters. I may have missed it, are 16cm components direct fit in the doors? The door card grilles look more like 5" ones. Any magnet clearance issues?
2ZZ '02 Roadster

vx220

Quote from: "JoeCool"Tweets look spot on.

Cheers, really appreciate that (especially as I have no sound coming out of anywhere at the moment...)

If you tear the cones out of the standard speakers, and chop the basket part of it up you can use what's left as a spacer for sixes no probs. I didn't have any depth issues, but they're fairly lightweight mids.

Tags: