Here we go again...

Started by vx220, September 7, 2016, 09:41

s12vea

Quote from: "JoeCool"Tweets look spot on. Like the dsp idea, I miss my p88 rsii which had all that built in per channel.

I've got an audiosystems twister F2 which I think would be ideal for this car. But mine is just so loud already. I'd just do a passive install of something like the pioneer 16cm components with 20mm silk dome tweeters. I may have missed it, are 16cm components direct fit in the doors? The door card grilles look more like 5" ones. Any magnet clearance issues?

The twister amps are great and the f2 is a nice size. I have two waiting to go in mine.
Another one won't hurt  .....

JoeCool

Cool. I'd probably try and build a bit of a plywood baffle if I were to go there.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "vx220"
Quote from: "JoeCool"Tweets look spot on.

Cheers, really appreciate that (especially as I have no sound coming out of anywhere at the moment...)

If you tear the cones out of the standard speakers, and chop the basket part of it up you can use what's left as a spacer for sixes no probs. I didn't have any depth issues, but they're fairly lightweight mids.

I'm in the process of making some adaptor/spacer plates for my door install that I'll 3d print.
Happy to share the files or 3D print for anyone that's interested once I have proof of concept

vx220

Due to me being unlucky/ham-fisted or maybe due to Ground Zero making s##t tweeters, I am needing a couple of tweeter mounting rings/pods if anyone has some?

l viewtopic.php?f=68&t=61955&p=720818#p720818 l

vx220

Got my tweeter rings, will get that sorted tomorrow

Still couldn't get miniDSPs working, 99% certain its my IT skills. I've decided to get it over with, and "settle" for a new head unit instead. I have a Pioneer DEH80PRS to be fitted, supposed to be a fantastic head unit, will still allow me to run active just with less processing power than planned.

Actually got financial permission for a Pioneer 99Rs (£980 or so! She's a keeper!) But I thought that was taking things too far in a £1500 car!!!

Just feel "it'll do", been waiting too long for music in the car!!!

vx220

Fairly sure that all I have to do tomorrow is swap head units, and then it's over...

vx220

YYYEEEEEEEEESSS!!!!!!!!!!

SOUND! From all six speakers!

Only slight issue was I got it all wired up, tested and about to bolt it all back in and realised I'd left the sleeve on the head unit. So disconnect the earth, unplug everything, slide sleeve off, plug everything back in and off we go!

vx220

Chuffed. Sounds really good, sat for a while in a quiet car park with my mobile RTA app waving a mic around in front of my face listening to pink noise and measuring the distance to each speaker from my head (none of that got me any weird sideways glances, oh no...)
Then, I've been driving seemingly from one bus stop to the next flicking through CDs and making minor adjustments. Very, very happy!

vx220

Had a bit more time, so went back and re-measured my distances. Surprising how tricky this is with a tape measure, also surprising is how absolutely dead set against helping me do this my lovely wife was! Sounds even better now. Just need to make a cover for the amp, and I may install a fan as well

Essex2Visuvesi

What will you do with the MiniDSPs?

vx220

I wasn't sure if it was me or a fault, so in all honesty I couldn't sell them, so I let them go for a charitable donation. The guy knew they might be faulty, but is apparently handy with a soldering iron, just in case!

vx220

Quote from: vx220 on April  2, 2017, 10:59
Still couldn't get miniDSPs working, 99% certain its my IT skills. I've decided to get it over with, and "settle" for a new head unit instead. I have a Pioneer DEH80PRS to be fitted, supposed to be a fantastic head unit, will still allow me to run active just with less processing power than planned.

Actually got financial permission for a Pioneer 99Rs (£980 or so! She's a keeper!) But I thought that was taking things too far in a £1500 car!!!

Just feel "it'll do", been waiting too long for music in the car!!!

Remembering this post, I noticed a great deal on a P99RS on Amazon, Best.Wife.Ever said "yes" (she might be the wife from Del Monte?) so the DEH80PRS is in the classifieds.

Now for even more "sitting in quiet carparks, waving a Mic around my head with strangers staring at me"

shnazzle

All very good but where are the pics?
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: shnazzle on February 16, 2018, 14:34
All very good but where are the pics?

Pics of me waving a Mic about? Or pics of people staring? Or pics of the best headunit ever?

Tbh, not sure I'm recovered from the Photobucket debacle, will need to sort something. Nice thing about it is there's not much to see, almost looks like an old dual spindle thingy from the 70's...

shnazzle

The resulting setup. Curious to see what this unit looks like fitted and the speakers etc.

The rest would require a good listen :) Ding Day?
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

My tweeter pics are on the first page of this thread, nothing else shows (subs, mids)

Won't make Ding Day, working far too much. Will see about a dashboard pic, until then there's this...

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageHandler/trim/620/378/products/2010/25/130/g130DEXP99R-o_mt3.jpeg

...which hopefully shows the copper-plated chassis (to reject interference) which looks really nice up close. The whole thing just feels like a nice thing to own and hold.

vx220

...and listen to!

Fancy stuff! I'll make do with my Sony double din hehehe

Tags: