My Sable 2004 - Bossworld

Started by Bossworld, November 16, 2016, 17:30

Bossworld

Picked up a fortnight or so ago, only insured for the month but after that it will sit in the garage until Jan/Feb time, giving me chance to get some changes/maintenance done.

Patrick's given it the once over and for the money paid, it's in decent nick.

Jobs to do:

Oil tensioner O-ring - sourced the sealforce one mentioned on the forum, waiting to fit.
Remove pre-cats - bought the 22mm O2 socket, just summoning up the courage/time to tackle it.
LED sidelights - bumper off time.
Fit subwoofer - Volvo /Philips 'woox' combined sub and woofer sourced from eBay for £16 delivered, mentioned on this forum, so looking forward to trying that out.
Big foot gearstick mounts
Replace gear shift cable bushings
Replace TRD gear knob with something a bit bigger (appears I already have a quick shift kit installed) - £7 one ordered from eBay.
Change the radiator (again courage, time and money)
Change the gearbox fluid (echo above)
Have a go at cleaning the headlamps - not badly faded but the nearside is slightly cloudy
Grease some parts of the clutch as it's heavy and squeaky
Double-din DAB head unit - 30th birthday next year, will see to it then.

Already done:

Aero wipers
Refitted hard-top demister cable as was disconnected and not routed properly.
Reattached the strap to remove the 'ears' and reattached the parcel shelf.
Cleaned the MAF and reset the ECU as the car was hesitating in third around 3k rpm when I first picked it up.
Cleaned up the TTE exhaust tips

Today's quick mod (stole the idea from Patrick's car):  16mm on/off switch, soldered the lugs and crimped bullet connectors on the other ends of some 16 gauge wire.  Unfortunately my 14mm hole saw is of the long variety, so due to the angle the hole is slightly oval and too big at the top.  Either way, it's more or less out of sight and the switch is firmly in place and not rotating. I've lucked in with the wiring by complete chance, so I is aerial on, and O is aerial off.  The wire's also neatly tucked out of the way since this pic.

stewart@boro

Welcome along, now don't go copying anything else Patrick does  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Try and make it along to some North East meets next year and you will discover more really useful things to do with your 2  s:D :D s:D  
Dependant on budget of course  s8) 8) s8)
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

shnazzle

I think Joe will avoid any NE meets Stew in case he runs into me and I take up his life again haha!

Even Helen was like,  "dude I think the poor guy was trying to get away".

Sorry Joe! I get carried away  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

mulaz

Like the mods but it's starting to look like at this rate stews blue and my silver car will be the odd one's out amongst the sea of sable and black mr2's at the north east meets.  s:D :D s:D
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

shnazzle

Quote from: "mulaz"Like the mods but it's starting to look like at this rate stews blue and my silver car will be the odd one's out amongst the sea of sable and black mr2's at the north east meets.  s:D :D s:D

Got a problem with that? Move down south.  s:D :D s:D
...neutiquam erro.

mulaz

Nah! Never . Funny is nearly bought my brother-in --laws red sable off him a few months ago haha  s:D :D s:D
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

Bossworld

Quote from: "shnazzle"I think Joe will avoid any NE meets Stew in case he runs into me and I take up his life again haha!

Even Helen was like,  "dude I think the poor guy was trying to get away".

Sorry Joe! I get carried away  s:) :) s:)

Ha not at all, I think I was just getting concerned at the amount of potential work the car was going to need - 'minor' jobs can end up taking hours as I'm sure you're well aware!

Hard top is going back on tonight, will get a final couple of runs out over the weekend and Monday/Tuesday before starting the more involved stuff.

Bossworld

Volvo/Philips 'woox' subwoofer and amp fitted in the rear driver's side bin.  Hacksawed the un-even mounting lugs off the back of the box, the fronts are screwed into a baton, and there's a hooked clip on the left side.  Cheated a little bit as I've completely misplaced the only other bracket I had lying around after bending it, so I've just driven a screw in at an angle.

Not the neatest of installs and unless I'm blind, I couldn't see an obvious way to route into the bin without going through the gap in the door.  It makes an impressive difference with the engine off, will see what it's like out on the road tomorrow.

Bossworld

Since previous update:

Fitted the metal gear cable bushings - makes a massive difference to finding 1st/reverse.  Hopefully going to buy and fit the metal cage mounts too.

Fitted LEDs to replace the dashboard bulbs.

Today - fitted a new timing chain tensioner seal as there was a fairly obvious oil leak and had been picked up on previous MOTs.

Took the opportunity to fit the original facelift stereo around to the single din fascia as I hated how it looked without.  I was looking at buying a Pioneer 8700DAB as I'm struggling to find anything that has:

A) DAB
2) Bluetooth with AVRCP 1.5
3) Perhaps more crucially, a user interface/display that doesn't look like it's come off a 1990s Kenwood.  I had a Pioneer in the mid 2000s that had a full pixel display - can't understand why most of the sub-£150 ones still have a calculator-esque display.

But, having fitted the cheapo UI-160 properly in its place, to be honest, with the iPlayer Radio app and Deezer, other than the convenience, I think I'll save the £120 odd and stick with what I've got.

--

To do list:

Fit new radiator (purchased and currently sat in the porch).
Change coolant
New aux belt
Pre-cat removal
Polish the headlights
Adjust the handbrake (potentially new handbrake cable which would be a kicker financially).

To buy list:

USB power bank / jump starter
Some kind of phone holder - my go-to option of a Kenu Airframe won't work in the MR2

Car is currently SORN'd until at least January so gives me some time to work on it.

Bossworld

Haven't had much time as we've been concentrating on doing up the house.

Polished the headlights using the cheapo eBay kit and some autosol which has worked a treat.  

Just purchased a new air filter, negative battery terminal quick-disconnect ( to save the alarm draining the battery ), some 'xenon look' sidelights (have the same fitted on the Mini) and some nightbreaker H7s.  After much thought, decided not to put LED sidelights in, in case they go.  Aux belt also purchased.

Have put a pair of LED bulbs on the numberplate bulbs - slightly surprised to see they both mount pointing towards the offside but still seems to light up OK).

Slightly concerned I may be throwing good money after bad but I guess if I'm planning to keep the car for a few years it's worth it.

The oil tensioner I did is fine, have noticed with the new metal bushings shifting into 3rd and 5th can be more difficult than 2nd, 4th and 6th.  Have just bought a couple of clamps from Toolstation so while I'm doing the air filter, tempted to get the gear cables back off and check everything is as level as it can be.  Still need to change the gearbox oil too so it could be down to that.

Bossworld

Couldn't get even close to moving the shift cables back off the gearbox, never mind. Took a couple of quick videos with the phone while changing at the box and it doesn't look as though the bearings spin much so I trust they're all ok.

Changed the air filter for a paper one - long Facebook comment chain later (thanks all involved) it looks as though there was an uprated filter on there previously.

Surprises me somewhat the car doesn't seem to be previously owned on this site (given the tte bits and other mods) but doesn't matter.

Fitted the battery isolator switch, and as well as the filter, tonight I've put osram cool blue sidelights in and night breakers. The sidelights are white-ish - I've currently got the same to complement the factory xenons fitted to the mini. The h7 night breakers are a bit more yellow but after fiddling with those clips they won't be coming back out unless they blow.

Still to fit: aux belt, new spark plugs.

Haven't done the radiator yet, to be honest with the frunk cover off it looks as though it's been replaced previously. The air con condenser looks bad from the front but ok from behind.

Pre cat removal booked in for early Jan, then I'll be back out on the roads. Also need to change gearbox oil and adjust handbrake

Bossworld

Spark plugs done - bought a new socket and of course first thing that happened was the rubber insert got left behind on the first plug I did!  Anyway sorted that and pushed it back in, all done.  Old plugs looked OK but for £7.50 seemed worthwhile swapping.  Also found after a trawl through my Halfords socket set that I had both spark plug sockets already, having bought a new one -_-

Handbrake - read the posts on here and IMOC for hours.  Did the caliper piston wind in/back out 180 trick so they're both correct now.

In the end, despite being able to free the lever on the driver's side, it would seem the cable is too stretched and knackered to be of any use.  Manually engaging the lever with a G clamp on the driver's side (post-adjustment) locks the handbrake properly so it can only be the cable at fault.

Interestingly it looks like I've got red stuff pads on the car.  I do find it slightly strange the car isn't seemingly known on this site or Facebook given the mods but doesn't matter.

Bossworld

Had the precats out - manifold was replaced by Dick and I've also had Herth and Buss handbrake cables fitted (£45 for the cables).

I've taken apart the rear brakes (all bar stripping down the piston itself) and greased everything.  Handbrake is now much better albeit I don't think it'll ever be 100%, particularly on the driver's side.  Need to replace both rear slider bolts and replace a boot at the top, obtained the parts from Toyota for approx £14.

Turned out the flange on my TTE was rotten and nothing left of it.  The flexis on the cat were on the way out too.

Been to the exhaust doctor in Newcastle, £280 lighter (inc. paying for a cat for £130 off eBay) but it's probably running and sounding the best since I've owned it.

Starting to turn into an absolute money pit though - I'm down £700 in total already.

shnazzle

Just think what a bargain you had buying it, so all in all you've still got a (relatively) cheap car that is amazing and will last a good while now  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

I hope so, just done 20 miles up to Blyth, up to Deleval Hall, then back via the Beehive. Put a smile back on my face at least, hopefully this will all be worth it  s:) :) s:)

Still don't think my TTE matches the burble of yours but at least it's all secure now!

Bossworld

Since the last post - stripped down and greased the front brakes as well. New slider pins all around as the nearside clearly hadn't slid in years, lord knows how it was getting through MOTs.

Washed the car for the first time since I've owned it - whoops!   In fairness it's been living in the garage.

Power steering fluid changed as per another thread.

It's got far too many miles, it's covered in stone chips low down on the bumper, and the bumper is misaligned, but it's still my (knackered) pride and joy.

Some of the excess bumper and trim gel on the hood seems to have come off in the wash, so just going to keep working at it and hopefully it'll clear.  Won't be using it again either way.

Bossworld

Properly fitted my blanking plates, seem to have got the soft top demister working again after checking the voltage, and a little more excitingly, fitted my new larger wind deflector following this guide

m http://www.keytechniques.net/Wind-Deflector.html m

Left the white protective film inside the letters on, quite like it. I've gone for it so that the text can be read by anyone following, and it's the right way round in my rear view mirror

Hasn't bloody stopped raining down in Chesterfield all morning!

shnazzle

Joe are you going to use the rest of that bottle of power steering fluid?
I'll do your aux belt if I can have that  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Quote from: "shnazzle"Joe are you going to use the rest of that bottle of power steering fluid?

Yes more than happy with a swap, was going to offer anyway, but wasn't sure how many miles we're all waiting on me to do first, to check it won't blow up lol

shnazzle

Quote from: "Bossworld"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Joe are you going to use the rest of that bottle of power steering fluid?

Yes more than happy with a swap, was going to offer anyway, but wasn't sure how many miles we're all waiting on me to do first, to check it won't blow up lol

Good point. I'll wait  s:) :) s:)  haha. THere's really no rush. Wasn't planning on doing it, but seeing how dark my fluid is compared to fresh it's just...nice  s;) ;) s;)
...neutiquam erro.

Bossworld

Well, £295 on a new subframe later, £10 on Hammerite and cavity sealant, and £350 of labour later, I think we finally have a car that's good to drive.  Offset the cost by selling my hard top I suppose but I'm happy with just having the soft top.

The mechanic had to get two bits on the rear re-machined by a friend down the same industrial estate (assuming some form of suspension component or arm) - possibly could have been cheaper from a breaker but too late now.

Brake lines checked and replaced as appropriate, apparently it was mainly surface rust.

The rear brake pads have also been replaced but I'll need to do the 180 degree rotation thing as I've now got no handbrake at all.

Clutch was given a clean bill of health albeit it still squeaks!  He wasn't particularly enamored with the idea of metal bushings for the gear cables due to the added strain/lack of flex but I'll see how they work over the summer and possibly swap to polybush (if I can remove the others).

Other than that I believe all is well with the car, did 150 miles back from Chesterfield without missing a beat and it just feels so much more planted/safer/stable at 70mph for having had the subframe and the other bits done.  MOT is due in June so that'll be the big verdict.

Mum also put 100 miles on my car just for the fun of driving it, and ended up getting her own as a result.  Either way I'm happy with the PAS fluid swap.

Bossworld

So, a week's troublefree commuting - ish.  Monday I cycled in (only the second time from this house) and got well and truly lost.  Tuesday took the car in, hoping for a roof down trip home.  Had a bit of sunshine but nothing to shout home about.

Had Thursday off work, as did my partner, so with our daughter in nursery we set off for Northumberland.  All going well until walking back to the car I notice that the offside TTE exhaust pipe was at a rather strange angle.  Gave it a quick shove and it was worryingly loose.  Nipped in somewhere on the way back who said they could take a look but would be a 40 minute wait.  Decided just to break it off - the clamp was rusted away to nothing so didn't take long to come off, probably took more effort to detach it from the hanger.

Had some helpful advice from the FB group and then found this thread -  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29619 m

The ECP clamp is still correct and was only £2.  As I read further down the thread (after getting home), the Volvo gasket is a few MM too big, and so this morning I decided just to clean up the old one.  I then had a look at the nearside, which although corroded was looking solid.

Took the Mini out for the big shop so while out decided to call via ECP and swap the ring for another gasket.  Got home and was a pain in the backside to remove this one; the bolts had siezed with rust so I ended up using a dremel to cut through 2/3s of the bolt, then use a hacksaw blade to get the rest.  Judging by how it pinged off, it was clearly under some tension.

Anyway that's both sides swapped, I'm sure I stink of exhaust fumes and it's all I can smell but from initial testing there's no leak at either clamp (sprayed GT85 liberally at both with the engine running and nothing was visible).

I set both exhaust pipes at the same height, though I must say the nearside is probably a good centimetre further inwards on the car than the offside.  Can't see how this could be adjusted without it not sitting on the gasket properly, so I'm just going to leave it as-is.

Bossworld

Couple more bits sorted

Sourced a 'cabin' bag as suggested on the FB group, from Home Bargains - £9.99 but it's a snug fit so happy enough with that.

Also tidied up my amp install, much better now.  Also transpires the left channel was cutting out so I've sorted the wiring on that too.

Bossworld

Replaced the bumper, now JDM badged, replaced the number plates while I was at it.  Took it out for a 20 mile blast to give a really good chance to properly bed in the replacement rear pads, feels much better now.  First time up to 6k revs as well  s:) :) s:)

Looking to swap the wheel centres out as well so watch this space

photo website hosting

Chilli Girl

Well done with the work, it looks really smart.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: