Power Steering Fluid

Started by ColleyV8, November 23, 2016, 16:14

ColleyV8

Following onto the problems with my power steering, has anyone tried this fluid, found it searching for the toyota part number, only 10.95 per litre and 6 delivery irrelevant on qty

RAVENOL E-PSF Fluid - http://www.ravenol-direct.uk/ravenol-e-psf-fluid.html

The details shows this

RAVENOL E-PSF Fluid is a unique fully synthetic fluid especially developed for use in the electro-hydraulic power steering systems of electric vehicles. The use of a high quality base oil blended together with a new generation of additives ensures the correct functioning of the system.
Recommended:

Nissan E-PSF
    Nissan 999MP-EPSF00P, KLF51-00001 JTEKT
    EHPS Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering
    Toyota PSF-EH
    Toyota 08886-01206

Characteristic:

RAVENOL E- PSF Fluid offers:

A very low pour point
    An excellent foam prevention, no foam formation
    A good lubricating ability even at low temperatures in winter
    A high, stable viscosity index
    A very good oxidation stability
    Excellent protection against wear and tear, corrosion and foam formation
    Fine tuned coefficient of friction
    Neutral behaviour against sealing materials
    Neutral behaviour against non ferrous metals
2ZZ powered Black MR2

Joesson

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36425#p434386 l

Power steering fluid was discussed previously on above thread.

ColleyV8

Can you point out here the review of RAVENOL is in the above link because I seem to have missed it?
2ZZ powered Black MR2

topsyde

Can I just say something does Toyota actually make power steering fluid or do they just put their name to it!!

Joesson

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56480&p=652512&hilit=Steering+fluid#p65251 l

From my reading on here this succinctly sums this question up.

ColleyV8

Not really, the link I submitted and asked if anyone knew that specific fluid actually states Toyota part number as a replacement, yours is hearsay about some unknown fluid and we know you cannot use atf fluid as it's to thick
2ZZ powered Black MR2

Joesson

l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36425#p435018 l

You may have missed the above, posted in the first thread I suggested.

Jon_G

Quote from: "ColleyV8"Not really, the link I submitted and asked if anyone knew that specific fluid actually states Toyota part number as a replacement, yours is hearsay about some unknown fluid and we know you cannot use atf fluid as it's to thick
I thought it was a good find, so thanks.

Don't need it, hope I never will, but I would consider using that Ravenol stuff if I needed PAS fluid.

Quote from: "Joesson"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36425#p435018

You may have missed the above, posted in the first thread I suggested.
That oilman post is nearly 5 years old. Maybe things have moved on?

ColleyV8

Thanks Jon, I have ordered 2 to save a bit on postage, so works out at 13 each, the bottle actually has the toyota part number on it and I have two pumps in the garage I need to test, so not using 40 a litre fluid just for that

By the way, I'm not connected in any way to the above, but I also like the range of oils they do from their website
2ZZ powered Black MR2

Joesson

Quote from: "ColleyV8"Not really, the link I submitted and asked if anyone knew that specific fluid actually states Toyota part number as a replacement, yours is hearsay about some unknown fluid and we know you cannot use atf fluid as it's to thick

Well a while ago, and we must look backwards sometimes to see what has happened and hopefully learn from it, at least one person with an OK from a Friend/ Mechanic used ATF. The following comment from Wabbikilla was the one I was referring to as being succinct-: " hope you haven' t buggered the pump......but there' s a reason why we all say use Toyota fluid" this was posted September 2015.
As for the Oilman quote being five years old, our cars are at least ten years old and I really doubt that there has been much if any subsequent related  research and development other than from enthusiastic owners.
Nevertheless, if the Ravenol fluid works, or otherwise,  for you perhaps you will give the forum the benefit of your findings in due course.

Jon_G

Although not well known in the UK, Ravenol does appear to be a well-established German company. And they clearly do state on the carton that their product meets the Toyota spec.

Good luck with the pump testing!

ColleyV8

Cheers Joesson, I understand that every manufacturer creates their own PS fluid spec, and that MR2 pumps/racks are picky, but I will test this fluid, hopefully for the forums benefit and report back, I would find it difficult to actually state the product code for a replacement if it is not supported.
2ZZ powered Black MR2

Jon_G

Quote from: "Joesson"
Quote from: "ColleyV8"...As for the Oilman quote being five years old, our cars are at least ten years old and I really doubt that there has been much if any subsequent related  research and development other than from enthusiastic owners...
Oil research probably didn't halt when MR2 production ceased! I don't know, but perhaps other Toyota models also use that same Toyota spec PAS fluid? And maybe it shouldn't be assumed that Opie Oils are the absolute authority on every available oil type, all manufacturers requirements and every oil supplier?

kentsmudger

Quote from: ColleyV8 on November 24, 2016, 10:49
Cheers Joesson, I understand that every manufacturer creates their own PS fluid spec, and that MR2 pumps/racks are picky, but I will test this fluid, hopefully for the forums benefit and report back, I would find it difficult to actually state the product code for a replacement if it is not supported.
Hi - Did you actually use the Ravenol in the end? Still using it? Any issues?
I note that Ravenol Direct UK now charge £9.90 for delivery for a single bottle, so 1 Litre from them is now £21.85 delivered.
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Smcknighty

Any feedback 2 years later? I'm in need of 400ml or so. Until I find a reason for the leak that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags: