Re: M1tch's long term 1ZZ build
January 26, 2018, 02:35:05 PM »
Without going into detail, I suspect your theory about how to implement the MAP/MAF options is a bit too simplistic. It's probably a good idea to have that discussion with a tuner at an early stage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

February 02, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »
I have now test fitted the turbo and manifold to the engine temporarily to see how things look, will be upgrading the head to manifold studs, using copper fasteners and also bracing the turbo probably using the stock heat shield brackets etc.

Will be sending off the block for machine work probably next week - think mine will be the first ever CSS 1ZZ block in the world :)

• Administrator
  • Northumberland
February 02, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
Must feel like you've made progress when you see it all test-bolted up
2005 Sable MR2  ...neutiquam erro.
Reader's Ride link

February 02, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Must feel like you've made progress when you see it all test-bolted up
Indeed, was good to see it together, although I won't be turboing the engine initially I was happy with the setup. Looking forward to getting the block sent off and back again, will order the bearings etc in the next few weeks and after that I can start to put it all together.
Need to get a piston ring file but other than that it should go together fairly quickly - ARP studs are on the way as well.

February 07, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »
The block is being send off today to have the CSS fitted, I have asked the machine shop to take some photos of the progress, will be great to see how it comes together.

February 13, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
Parts update, arrival of parts :D

ARP main stud kit
ARP head stud kit
ARP flywheel bolts

Link G4+ plug and play ECU harness

New TCB steering UJ

Currently in the process of cleaning up the stock head ready for gasket matching, seems like it is a 4zz head as I can see that there are valve seat inserts - will only be doing light work to the ports and will look to polish up the combustion chamber.

Need to order bearings at some point but its all coming together, I have plenty of time however as I won't be looking to install this engine until near the end of the year, still need to get the spare gearbox rebuilt with JUBA gears first.

February 17, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
Quick update on the car, its all running well now, found that I had an intermittent air leak due to the evap solenoid!

I have also plugged in my Link Xtreme to the car, just to get the ECU unlocked, won't be needing to run it for a while as the stock ECU will suffice for a while, I do also have the PFC and Dastek which I might look to try out more as well but I don't feel there is much point tuning NA.

I have some seafoam in the oil at the moment which is really working it seems as the oil is much darker even with around 60 miles on it - its meant to be kept in the oil for around 125 miles or so as its not an oil flush as per say.

Next on the list is probably to sort out removing the soft top from the car, I have modded OEM brackets which will replace the ones in the car as the soft top and seatbelt brackets are attached to each other.

I also have an oil cooler which I might look to install soon, no rush on that though, plan to drive the car around a bit more over the next few weeks.

• Administrator
  • Northumberland
February 17, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
I wouldn't rest until that Link was talking to the car and starting it.
Don't know how your could just plug it in and leave it at that :)
2005 Sable MR2  ...neutiquam erro.
Reader's Ride link

February 18, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
I wouldn't rest until that Link was talking to the car and starting it.
Don't know how your could just plug it in and leave it at that :)

I will have another go today regarding the link, there aren't any base maps for the engine but have been informed to use a monsoon base map and tweak it from there. I have a feeling that the stock ECU or the PFC might have a better tune in it when running NA, the Link ECU is mainly for the turbo setup due to the knock protection etc.

February 21, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »
The project engine block has been damaged by the courier on route to the machine shop - will have to see if its repairable or if I need to source another engine for the work to be done.

I was planning to personally take the block to the machine shop but went for the courier arranged by the machine shop as this would mean I wouldn't need to take holiday from work etc to take the block over to them. So far the only thing that has gone wrong so far has been the only thing that hasn't been in my control!

The damage is on the sump side so might be weldable - the rest of the block seems fine though so fingers crossed!

• Barrow In Furness
February 21, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »
Let me know if its scrap bud, got a 65k one sat in the garage. im starting to shift the stuff out of there.
2005 Porsche Cayman S
2003 Sable - Runabout
PROJECT - 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING TURBO= viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46151&p=537444#p537444
Ex=Nikita-2004 Laguna Blue Roadster Mods[/colo

February 21, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
Let me know if its scrap bud, got a 65k one sat in the garage. im starting to shift the stuff out of there.

Thanks, I am located near Bedford - typically everyone who seems to have a spare engine seems to be in another part of the country!

• Barrow In Furness
February 21, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
itll post if its packed well :)
2005 Porsche Cayman S
2003 Sable - Runabout
PROJECT - 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING TURBO= viewtopic.php?f=9&t=46151&p=537444#p537444
Ex=Nikita-2004 Laguna Blue Roadster Mods[/colo

Today at 07:54:13 AM »
itll post if its packed well :)

No longer trust couriers with anything engine related anymore, I have sourced another block and will be collecting it tonight - nothing is even local it seems!

The machine shop might be able to use the damaged block for the machine work as only the lower part of the block has damage - might be able to simply swap out the lower part of the block from the spare engine.

Unsure of the condition of the short block I am collecting tonight though, but it should be fine as its being machined +0.5mm over so will take out any issues if the whole block is needed - doubt it will be in a good condition as the block already sent though.