My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Came home to find car returned and new chain tensioner fitted. I'll get out and about in it tomorrow, for the first time in a couple of weeks  s:) :) s:)
A thing of beauty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Merry Christmas everyone  s:) :) s:)  . I've been very lucky, and am wearing a grin you'd want to punch. Next year is going to be fun putting this all in - Need to gather a few more bits over the next few months (another pair of shocks, front arb & drop links, and all fittings).
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"Merry Christmas everyone  s:) :) s:)  . I've been very lucky, and am wearing a grin you'd want to punch. Next year is going to be fun putting this all in - Need to gather a few more bits over the next few months (another pair of shocks, front arb & drop links, and all fittings).
Saucy! What exactly are you getting dressed up as though? Pokemon?

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Saucy! What exactly are you getting dressed up as though? Pokemon?
Nope, Zebedee of course.  Time to Bed in!   s:D :D s:D
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Saucy! What exactly are you getting dressed up as though? Pokemon?
Nope, Zebedee of course.  Time to Bed in!   s:D :D s:D
Haha! Awesome. Well done on persuading Mrs H.

delhusband

I am a very happy, but financially much worse off, bunny today.
I put the car into a local mechanic on Tuesday to get my new shocks, springs, subframe and lower steering UJ fitted, and have just picked it up.
I am very very pleased  s:D :D s:D

I'd never have attempted replacing the subframe myself, that would have been far too ambitious for me.  I was originally wanting to have a go at least at attempting to build the shock/springs up - but when I priced up all new accessories (insulators/Seats/Supports etc), I got a bit of a shock (pardon the pun!) - in the back of my mind then was the fact that I might have had the car on stands for a while given the weather and available light, and there would have been the worry of what to do if I couldn't get the car to a garage for help if I was struggling.  Also didn't really want to miss out on using the car too much.  So, I prepared myself mentally for some extra cost (and prepared some evasive answers in case I start getting quizzed on my credit card balance) and took it to the garage.

First thing to come out was the subframe.  One of the arms wouldn't separate (bit of confusion here - was sure he said the #1 lower N/S arm on the phone, but looks like the #2 O/S has been replaced), so one arm stayed with the old subframe and a new one was ordered from Toyota at a fair bit of cost (was hoping this didn't happen).  The old subframe had started to rot (apologies for the poor quality pic)

Have now taken the car out for a quick first drive. As I'd really hoped all along, there is now a considerable difference in the ride quality (at low speed anyway) - the car would previously jar/crash on every pothole or imperfection in the road, with some noise and discomfort in the cabin. It now feels far more supple/compliant and composed.  I haven't had a chance to feel it at higher speed yet - I'll take the advice given and wait to get the geometry checked before having some some proper fun.  I think the stance of the car looks better too now.  I could do with a new set of fronts, there's a bit more wear on the inside, which is now near limit.

Next thing is to call the insurer about the lowering springs, then get it booked in for an alignment - really looking forward to putting through its paces properly now. Happy as the proverbial pig

Boinginess

PeaceOfMindness

OldandTiredness

More PeaceOfMindness and TCB TurnyTurniness

Lowerness

Fronts
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Tis a thing of beauty Sir...

shnazzle

Lovely!
Makes so much difference in these cars.

I have two of those arms here that you needed to replace  s:( :( s:(  Would have sent you one fo' cheep.

Love the technical names
...neutiquam erro.

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Tis a thing of beauty Sir...
Gawdblessyer  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "shnazzle"I have two of those arms here that you needed to replace  Would have sent you one fo' cheep.
Dangit. Should maybe have gone to wanted - but I'm sure Kev told me wrong one on phone - may have ended up buying twice!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Love the technical names
ran out of steam when I got to front tyres though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

I think I'm going to get some adjustable camber arms for mine, I still haven't fitted the camber bolts and sorted my ridiculous camber out yet!

delhusband

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Love the technical names
ran out of steam when I got to front tyres though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I also noticed something on Flikr that appealed to my inner geek when I was upload the photo's - it says something about obtaining Vespene gas - pretty sure that's a StarCraft reference  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Why do you have ridiculous camber? That's a bit worrying
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Why do you have ridiculous camber? That's a bit worrying
Offside rear is currently around 3.5-4 degrees negative from fitting the Meisters and lowering it.
Drives straight enough and no ill effects but ideally needs fettling.
Due to be fitting a new clutch soon though so I'll do it after that.

shnazzle

I'm really not convinced that's normal.
That's a LOT of negative camber.
When I put my BCs on I think it was out by about half a degree.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Oh it's definitely not normal but neither can we see anything "wrong" with anything else, so to speak.  
I've hardly driven it since I fitted them (apart from a few hundred miles round Wales) and once the clutch is sorted the suspension is next on the list. (Sorry Del for spamming your thread).

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"(Sorry Del for spamming your thread).
Dont mind at all, said it before, like a blether  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Collected Car post Underbody Treatment today. Really pleased with the service there, nice bunch. Plus they've had experience working on other members cars which is reassuring. This is the kind of investment that I'm not going to see the results of daily, but hoping it pays off in terms of longevity of the car.

Hate pointy animals

Topdownman

Showing up your calipers now  :-)
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Chilli Girl

Good job done Derek, bet it's nice to have it back - I miss Foxy when I don't drive her for a few days.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

delhusband

Quote from: Topdownman on February 23, 2018, 18:05
Showing up your calipers now  :-)
Not sure I have enough money left even for a rattle can of vht caliper paint, let alone a wirebrush :( Wife's at defcon 4,  waiting at letterbox for credit card statement.
Hate pointy animals

McMr2

That looks so satisfying, good knowing you've got some protection from all the muck on the roads just now.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Topdownman

When you can afford a wire brush, this is all you need, applied with a tiny art brush;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hammerite-Direct-to-Rust-Smooth-Finish-Metal-Paint-Red-250ml-/131719087452?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Tell the wife the car is all finished and this is the finishing touch!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on February 23, 2018, 16:59
Collected Car post Underbody Treatment today. Really pleased with the service there, nice bunch. Plus they've had experience working on other members cars which is reassuring. This is the kind of investment that I'm not going to see the results of daily, but hoping it pays of in terms of longevity of the car.

Looking good!

delhusband

If it wasn't for the forecast for Tuesday onwards you'd swear it was Spring - Got a couple of hours in today.

Hate pointy animals

Tags: