Radiator bushes

Started by swedishpimp, May 29, 2017, 10:07

swedishpimp

I've just ordered a rad off Fleabay from coolpartsuk, going on the decent reviews members were giving them on another thread.

I read somewhere that the bushes at the bottom of the rad benefit from being replaced by something a bit more substantial than the normal Toyota ones but I can't find anywhere that sells them. My Toyota garage is only 4 miles away so I know I can always get my hands on the original ones, but I was just wondering if anybody had links to the stronger bushes. I've had a search through the forum but I can't find any mention of rad bushes.

I just have to say, I can't remember where I saw this info, and there's no guarantee that I just didn't dream it all up!
Bad choices make great stories

Topdownman

I cant say that rings any bells.

I think people recommend swapping over the drain plug is it from the OEM to the aftermarket rad?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

normanh

If you buy a rad from Coolparts it comes with a new fitting kit.

Norman

shnazzle

What you probably read is about the o-ring on the top bleed valve that needs replacing with a thicker one to prevent leakage.
Halfords sell a box of rubber o-rings. The correct size is in there (find one that matches the one that comes with the coolpartsuk one and go one thicker).

And use the bleed screw from the old one
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

A photo of your new rad would be much appreciated, I' m interested in the top/  near side rear of the rad. There is what looks like an outlet for an expansion bottle hose but it is redundant, as far as I know on the 2. I would like to see how this is sealed off.

When I changed my OE rad for a Coolparts I changed the bleedvalve and used the OE bleedscrew ( with the the O ring from the new one IIRC). The OE bleedscrew is a ' Thumbscrew' requiring no tool to open/ close. My Coolparts one had a two way straight screwdriver slot that would be very difficult to access.
The bottom OE mounts seemed fine to me, there is very little weight in the rad.

Fin

+1, the mounts are fine. Changing the bleed valve makes life easier.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

beavisrules

The bottom mounts are often corroded and hard to work with(expand and squash the rubber bits).
Probably fine if you have time to clean them up.

Gaz mr-s

I bought one & fitted a couple of weeks ago. The thicker o ring can be swapped onto the oem Toyota bleed screw with the 'butterfly wings'. Mine did not come with any kind of 'fitting kit'.

Bossworld

Bookmarking  s:) :) s:)

Bossworld

Very quick one - it looks as though my current radiator was a Coolpartsuk special.  Doesn't actually appear to be leaking so may list up at some point when I'm back on the road.

Decided to plough on with a gratuitous change as I also had some new silicon hoses and clamps.  I've swapped the top bleed valve over and used a healthy coating of PTFE tape. 

The bottom valve looks to be the same on both the new and old rads (the awkward screw type) - my question is, other than wrapping a shiteload of PTFE round the threads to compensate the rubbish looking O-ring (not convinced it's even rubber), do I need to change this out for a different type?  If I ever need to drain the coolant again (touch wood I don't), I'd probably just remove the central hose again instead?

Thanks

Tags: