ECU question

Started by m1tch, June 20, 2017, 07:17

shnazzle

Quote from: "lamcote"I just had a very quick look at the Emerald K6 spec web page, it only mentions MAP (not MAF) but doesn't mention knock control at all!

Hmm... MAP would require a few more changes to the car. Unless you can tap into the air temp signal from the existing MAF, saves buying a new sensor for that.

No knock control is not something I'm entirely comfortable with. Or at least knock sensing so that you can link it to a warning of some kind so that I can go home and retard timing. Or in the case of the OMEX, you can use an external dashpot controller to turn down boost and/or timing.

But I guess, if the tune is right, no need for knock control.... bit tricky.

I know the MegaSquirt didn't work for the dude above, but the feature set continues to be very attractive for the price range. What does scare me is that I can't find any 1zz-fe implementation for it.
It seems to support everything we need though. And had knock,traction and boost control. On paper it's all very attractive. What worries me is stories like Chris' above.

...I can see how the PowerFC ends up being the choice for many.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

A Link G4+ is a lot of money but it seems to do everything you could ever want. I'd be very tempted. Looks like you could get everything you would need from TCB too.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

shnazzle

yeah, the thing is, it's about as much money as an Emerald + tuning.

I'd love a G4, but by the time I've got the ecu, harness and tune I'm in stupid money and then might as well save up and go Syvecs. Where do you stop?

Fact of the matter is, a piggyback does the job. The crappy Dastek has done the job on many a SP240.
So if there isn't a sensible solution then it'll just get remapped and perhaps an external (better) boost controller added (also an option).

But for now, something like the Mega or the K6 seem like the only sensible options.  If a PowerFC came up with all the gear required for tuning, I'd be hard pressed to ignore it as well.
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Might have my PFC up at some point lol

lamcote

The better one you buy, the more you'll get back when you eventually sell it.

I REALLY moaned about spending £250 on an Apple iPod 2 years ago.....  I have just sold it for £204!

shnazzle

The idea is to never have to sell it haha
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

I'm trying my best to give you the ammunition to justify the purchase!! I'd never heard of it but the Syvecs looks mega and you'd only need the basic model, sounds good yeah?

MrT

PM'd m1tch for dibs on his PFC if it becomes available. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. Say so if I am.

cheers

Tyler
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

shnazzle

Quote from: "MrT"PM'd m1tch for dibs on his PFC if it becomes available. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. Say so if I am.

cheers

Tyler
Nah mate. Pretty sure I'd pass on the PFC anyway
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

I understand using a standalone means you lose control of the air conditioning, the coolant temp gauge and the immobiliser? Is there anything else?
Can all these be solved and what exactly is the Air Con issue? Is it just modifying idle speed when the pump kicks in?

shnazzle

Quote from: "lamcote"I understand using a standalone means you lose control of the air conditioning, the coolant temp gauge and the immobiliser? Is there anything else?
Can all these be solved and what exactly is the Air Con issue? Is it just modifying idle speed when the pump kicks in?
All of the above ecus can work the A/C. Possibly better than stock.

You lose immobiliser, number of things on your dash (depending on ecu) , obd2 (depending on ecu).

Bear in mind that you can run the stock ECU in parallel to retain these things. The AEM Ems4 has a plug/play harness just like a piggyback to retain stock functionality while overriding any actual running gear. Also the signals are protected so that where the AEM taps into wires, it doesn't affect the signal.

AEM is possibly the best I've seen for this parallel running
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: