Headlight Sealant

Started by Fin, August 21, 2017, 09:37

Fin

I need to polish my headlights again. I have the sanding pads and the Maguires polish to get them nice and clear again.
Which is the best sealant at the monument, to finish off and maintain the finish?
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

2 of the left

Rain-X have put onto the Market, a Headlight refurb kit with sealant ( A small spray bottle) How good it is I have yet to find out!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Carolyn

I paid the fifty quid to get mine done at ShinDing.  Money very well spent.  Mine were fairly decent as I'd used one of the Meguiars kits, but now now they look brand new. He does a 'send them to him' service.

'headlight  e mailto:heroes@yahoo.com">heroes@yahoo.com e '.  He's also on facebook.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

2 of the left

Quote from: "Carolyn"I paid the fifty quid to get mine done at ShinDing.  Money very well spent.  Mine were fairly decent as I'd used one of the Meguiars kits, but now now they look brand new. He does a 'send them to him' service.

'headlight  e mailto:heroes@yahoo.com">heroes@yahoo.com e '.  He's also on facebook.
Agreed a fantastic result on mine at " Shin-Ding"
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Fin

That was my plan. I've been stuck in hospital for the last week, so I had to cancel  s:( :( s:(
Now I'm trying to find a sealant which will give a decent result. On reading up, it seems that the final sealant/spray etc is the magic touch that makes all the difference.
I'll have a read up on the RainX one, and see if I can find any helpful reviews, thanks.

Sian

I've also been trying to figure out what final uv coat / spray to use. I'll let you know if I find something.

The Other Stu

Thing is, for £50 it's worth it. He guarantees it for 2 years although he said if it's not left in direct sunlight all the time, it should easily last 3-5.
No Longer Here

Fin

I know. I was going to get it done. The £50 price ticket was a special arranged by Simon.
His standard price is £100. I am losing 2 weeks wages thanks to septasemia, I can't really afford another couple of shifts down the pan, plus the £100 for him to do it, I have the kit and sanding sheets polish etc.
I am just trying to see if anyone can recommend a sealant.

Sian

I will get them done properly eventually but got other properties atm. I used the toothpaste trick and they came up quite well so I'd like to use a sealant just to tide it over!

wotugonado

I use Meguiars headlight protectant, dont know how it performs in a one off treatment as I apply it every couple of months.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

The Other Stu

Ah ok, I apologise. I didn't realise we got it half price. Bargain then?
No Longer Here

delhusband

How about Meguairs Plast-RX ~£10? never used it but might get some myself. This is what comes with their own headlight restoration kit. I'm thinking about it for my rear high level brake light cover.
When I searched on google also found Meguiar's "Keep Clear Headlight Coating" - don't know if this is available anymore though...
Hate pointy animals

Bernie

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

The Other Stu

Alternatively, of course, you could always get a  very, very light tint.
The reason these go yellow is because of UV. A light tint works like sunglasses, even the lightest of tints.
No Longer Here

Fin

I use Plastx (or rx depending on age of bottle, name changes etc) as part of the polishing.  It's a very fine cutting polish, and good as a last polish after finest sanding.
The Diamondite looks like the bunny for sealing.
I'll  be first on the list next year if Simon manages to get the detailers back for the refurb, I'm just looking for something until then. I'd rather not spring £300 odd for a new set of headlights right now  s:) :) s:)

steeleyscoot

Hi Guys,
I'm not on Facebook - where is Shin-Ding located please and does anyone have a contact number please?

Treboeth

Quote from: "steeleyscoot"Hi Guys,
I'm not on Facebook - where is Shin-Ding located please and does anyone have a contact number please?

l viewtopic.php?f=120&t=62442 l

It was a meet with ding removal and lots of other stuff going on.
Post up your location someone may be close enough to help if you need it   s:D :D s:D

Essex2Visuvesi

Anyone watched lees latest YouTube video?
 m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dUl3b74Tgg m
An extreme but effective method!

Chilli Girl

I ended up using Autoglym (AG) T-cut on the Honda's lights as unfortunately we ran out of time at Shin-Ding and I had to head home early.  They came up really well, I finished off with AG Polish, followed by AG wax and they look great.  Really ought to put some sealant on when I get time to keep them lasting longer!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Tags: