Respray or body wrap?

Started by deviantmr-s, August 22, 2017, 06:51

deviantmr-s

I have a number of stone chips and a couple of scrapes on the front underside and I have tried building up the paint etc on the chips, but not happy with the end result.

Contemplating a respray, but that then opens up a minefield of possibilities... do I go for just a respray of the affected areas or the whole car? If so do I change the colour? Do I go for a bespoke off the wall colour and design lol...

Or do I consider a complete body wrap? Has anyone used the body wrap vinyls? Or can they recommend someone I can speak to to get advice etc.?
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

The Other Stu

At Jap Perf on Sunday, Custom Paints were there. Their paint is very cheap. I've had a chat with them in the past and they admit their paint isn't that hard wearing until you put the clear coat on.

2 litres of kit spray (that's 2 litres of silver base plus a pearl coat and a 2k clearcoat and thinners) is ~£220.

I saw one of their cars. It's mightily impressive if I'm honest. As good a candy finish as I've ever seen.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

ummm are you saying that a full spray is £220??

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "jvanzyl"ummm are you saying that a full spray is £220??
That's just for the paint.
You'll still need a primer coat and labour to flat and prepare the bodywork

lukeydoo

Quote from: "The Other Stu"At Jap Perf on Sunday, Custom Paints were there. Their paint is very cheap. I've had a chat with them in the past and they admit their paint isn't that hard wearing until you put the clear coat on.

2 litres of kit spray (that's 2 litres of silver base plus a pearl coat and a 2k clearcoat and thinners) is ~£220.

I saw one of their cars. It's mightily impressive if I'm honest. As good a candy finish as I've ever seen.

That's not cheap! And no basecoat is hardwearing - that's why it is clear coated!

And once you've bought the paint you then need a 3hp compressor or larger, an air-fed mask, 3 stage filter, various water traps, a spray gun, all the associated sundries, a makeshift booth with extraction...

And it still won't turn out perfect. But then, most bodywork places don't turn out perfect work either.

My vote would be to wrap it.

The Other Stu

I don't disagree. It's not super cheap, but try getting a couple of litres of 8M6 with the undercoat. It's a lot, lot more expensive than that.
There are also quite a lot of people that do have all that gear.

I'd be surprised if Dev doesn't, or doesn't know someone who does!

I've never seen a decent wrap that's more than 6 months old unless they're constantly garaged and only showed.
Go have a look on Facebook when Hannah had hers wrapped last year.....
And when people start saying that a decent wrap is £1200+, you might as well get a full respray.
No Longer Here

deviantmr-s

Thanks. Comparing options.   s:D :D s:D
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Essex2Visuvesi

When the 2 is finally ready for paint mine will be going to someone I trust.... That means sending the car across the country to Exeter, but its a small price to pay for a quality job

Some of Jays work:-

Chilli Girl

That's interesting.  I'm often in the West Country.  Where exactly is Jay in Exeter?  Maybe worth a visit?   s:D :D s:D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Essex2Visuvesi

Chilli Girl

Thank you for the link.  s:D :D s:D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

The Other Stu

I saw that car on Sunday - it's on the Jap Performance Thread.
Star of the show too. Absolutely amazing job.
No Longer Here

2 of the left

I have yet to see a perfect wrap on any motor!! - Go to a Body Shop for Re spray - They will quote you total price- Taking in existing dings, Rusting on panel edges etc. and then you have to inform DVLA and your Insurance robbers, should you change the colour!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

deviantmr-s

Thanks for recommendation and link, very helpful.

Looks like I will be looking into a respray...  s:D :D s:D

deviantmr-s

Has anyone got any recommendations in the Northumberland or Scotland areas for a resprayer?

cptspaulding

Quote from: "deviantmr-s"Has anyone got any recommendations in the Northumberland or Scotland areas for a resprayer?
Hi Caroline. I dipped my toe earlier this year & had a look around in Glasgow, visited a few shops for prices.

1st place quoted me £2k for full respray incl hardtop. £3k for a colour change.

Couple of other places I was recommended only do small stuff, accident repairs, 1 or 2 panels but one of them recommended JB Coachworks in Paisley. I liked the guy & what he had to say. He had a look around the car & said it didn't need full respray. Quoted me £1500 for front & rear bumpers, bonnet, 1 wing & some blending & polishing.

Last place sounded like he practically wanted to do a back-to-metal respray & wanted a "balkpark" £3500, didn't matter the colour.

I've also heard good reports of a place in Torrance but by then I kinda knew I didn't have the readies to have my car repainted. Hey ho. Still drives nice [emoji4].

Not sure if that helps on a place to go but might give you an idea of prices. They were all reasonable sized places & all busy. No one-man-bands.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

deviantmr-s

Thank you Stewart, very helpful and appreciated.
  s:D :D s:D

Tags: