de-badging!

Started by angryman, August 24, 2017, 05:53

angryman

I have purchased 2 x screaming eagle badges for my 2.
Anyone have any tips for removing original toyota badge from front of car.?
thanks.

Fin

Warm the badges if possible, to soften the glue a little, then patience becomes a virtue. I removed all my badges using the time honoured toothfloss technique. The floss is simply used as a type of saw. You get it in the gap behind the badge, and start pulling back and forth, to break the tape/glue behind the badge.
I found the biggest pain was getting rid of the last few traces of the original glue without damaging the paint.
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

angryman

Thankyou.
ill get the hairdryer on it.
rgds
peter

Topdownman

White spirit to clean off the glue residue then it will need a very good polish to get rid of the outline of the old badge!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

angryman

Thanks for the tips.
i shall polish until its gone !!

angryman

Done it!!
looks fab!
thanks for the tips/hints, they worked a treat.
how do i post pics now that pb has thrown its dummy out the pram?
rgds
peter

ilovejapcrap

I'm using imgur now for pics

Treboeth

Quote from: "ilovejapcrap"I'm using imgur now for pics
l viewtopic.php?p=257299#257299 l
Forum Guide here as well   s:D :D s:D

m1tch

I have debadged the rear, still to take off the front badge and repaint  s:) :) s:)

BahnStormer

Quote from: Fin on August 24, 2017, 06:39
I found the biggest pain was getting rid of the last few traces of the original glue without damaging the paint.
I've not done my MR2, but I've done this several times in the past on other cars and I found that Autoglym's "Tar Remover" took the last lumps of glue off with zero fuss and no rubbing / risk of scratching..... and also I found that a cheap (£10?) hairdryer is a BETTER alternative to a heatgun (which will just soften the badges and will probably damage paint unless used really carefully). I bought mine YEARS ago, but just aim for around 2kW: I can see them for <£10 on Amazon, £12 for a decent brand on Prime if you want to buy a "gift" for the missus after you're done!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Hamezi

looking to remove the Toyota " badge from the back of my Roadster. (Successfully did the bonnet badge and replaced with screaming chicken) does the rear bade have pegs?

Thanks

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Hamezi on January 13, 2020, 15:17looking to remove the Toyota " badge from the back of my Roadster. (Successfully did the bonnet badge and replaced with screaming chicken) does the rear bade have pegs?

Thanks
Nope, assuming they're all standard issue the wording on the rear bumper is just well stuck on.
60% of the time it works everytime...

steveash

After 17 years in the sunlight the paint colour of the rest of my car is a shade lighter than that under the badges. These shadows of the badges won't polish out as there is a gloss coat over the colour. I guess it will even out over the coming years unless I get fed up and put the badges back on again.

Tags: