Dash top cubby hole.

Started by Call the midlife!, August 30, 2017, 13:39

Call the midlife!

What, if anything, is directly underneath the dash top storage bin please? Anything sensitive that I probably should avoid drilling through to insert a 12v socket (cig lighter style)?
I'm assuming heater matrix etc is somewhere in that area.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59290 l

I  asked a similar question a while ago. Not sure if there would be room if you wanted to sink a cigar lighter socket though.
Easy to take the glove box off though and have a feel around!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Topdownman"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59290

I  asked a similar question a while ago. Not sure if there would be room if you wanted to sink a cigar lighter socket though.
I'll have a fiddle, cheers!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "Topdownman"http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=59290

I'll have a fiddle, cheers!

The photos are broken but between yours and the others comments at least I know where to start. I was hoping to sit the 12v socket in there to plug my sat nav into instead of having the cables hanging down the front of the dash all the time. I might have to buy a spare cable for the tom tom and route it through and leave it in situ instead.

ilovejapcrap

Call the midlife!

Tomo70

Done something similar put the twin usb in. Used the power from the cig lighter. Cig lighter now defunct. A 10mm hole at bottom drivers side.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Tomo70"Done something similar put the twin usb in. Used the power from the cig lighter. Cig lighter now defunct. A 10mm hole at bottom drivers side.
My stereo head unit has a USB out on the front so I'm sorted in that respect but I know where you're coming from, might be worth looking for a combination socket.
I'm looking at replacing the centre console at some point too and doing away with the cig lighter socket and ash tray altogether.

MR TWO

I have a second cig lighter socket wired to the original which has a dual USB converter. This hidden behind the centre faicia held in place with velcro.  From this I have a power cable - sat nav-which comes up through the cubby hole via a small drill hole. The actual drill hole is hidden by a rubber mat in the cubby hole.

The original cig lighter remains easily available for impromptu phone charging etc.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "MR TWO"I have a second cig lighter socket wired to the original which has a dual USB converter. This hidden behind the centre faicia held in place with velcro.  From this I have a power cable - sat nav-which comes up through the cubby hole via a small drill hole. The actual drill hole is hidden by a rubber mat in the cubby hole.

The original cig lighter remains easily available for impromptu phone charging etc.
Appreciated. Thinking on, my sat nav powers from a USB into a cig lighter adapter so could probably cut that out of the equation too.

Topdownman

If you could still see the pictures it would look something like this!

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Topdownman"If you could still see the pictures it would look something like this!

Yeah, works for me! I'll add it to my list. Need to get my handbrake working more betterer first though.

MR TWO

Lots bestest handbrakes are good to have (new cables). I still always leave mine in gear as a precaution!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "MR TWO"Lots bestest handbrakes are good to have (new cables). I still always leave mine in gear as a precaution!
I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issue but prepared for the worst, it does work as long as the handle is pointed skyward [emoji23]

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I'm looking at replacing the centre console at some point too and doing away with the cig lighter socket and ash tray altogether.
I thought about that too (my stereos gone, I wanted that whole bit empty) - but I got the impression that'd mean losing the cupholder too? Mine's a daily driver - I'd miss my morning Maccy D's coffee if the cupholder went - that's just soooo not an option
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I'm looking at replacing the centre console at some point too and doing away with the cig lighter socket and ash tray altogether.
I thought about that too (my stereos gone, I wanted that whole bit empty) - but I got the impression that'd mean losing the cupholder too? Mine's a daily driver - I'd miss my morning Maccy D's coffee if the cupholder went - that's just soooo not an option
Don't drink and drive...

delhusband

Don't drink and drive...
S'what I'm all 'bout, homes (*BLING*)
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"I thought about that too (my stereos gone, I wanted that whole bit empty) - but I got the impression that'd mean losing the cupholder too? Mine's a daily driver - I'd miss my morning Maccy D's coffee if the cupholder went - that's just soooo not an option
Don't drink and drive...
S'what I'm all 'about, homes (*BLING*)
Oh dear.. at least it's club and not Pokemon..

Tags: