Project #2 - Staggered Enkei Wheels, Mondo Interior Goodies

Started by rich_p, August 31, 2017, 22:21

rich_p

Welcome to project #2

Sadly my original 'Tincan' project was not long for this world, Keen to carry on as intended I've picked up it's replacement last Saturday, rather spur of the moment after looking at loads of roadsters on fleabay and autotrader and deciding they looked too risky or were simply overpriced. When I found this one a on gumtree at 11.30 at night it looked far too tempting to leave. An email was sent and the next morning viewing arrangements were made, inspite of the 3 hour drive to stoke on trent.

The car as advertised

Reality was not quite so good, I've a feeling the pictures were taken when the previous owner first got hold of it two years ago. All the same as a late model with TTE accessories, service history and a solid rear subframe meant the car came home that evening!

M62 services alongside the wifes Juke

The car was faultless all the way and I couldn't stop grinning as passers by were turning their heads to look at it. I even ended up in a little bit oversteer on a roundabout close to home. Accidental yet predictable and easily controlled. My first real taste of the MK3's handling on the limit.  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen: 

Quick polish of the headlights the next morning with PlastX

Far from perfect but much better

The rest of the day was simply spent enjoying it with the family

There was however plenty of work to be done, the car was filthy, wiper blades were failing, i'd noticed a faint glow from the engine warning light and the brakes had a bit of judder.

Single DIN USB/Bluetooth unit fitted together with switch on the aerial, interior stripped revealing all manner of badness underneath  s:? :? s:? 

cleanedup, hovered and Vaxxed carpets

Black leathers fitted in place of the red cloth, Avensis (I think) gearknob in place. I quite liked the splash of colour from the original door cards so I've left them for now.

The interior is now really quite a nice place to be. Also notice the sunvisor blanks, actually an mx-engineinwrongplace  part slightly modded to almost fit  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: 

Yesterday was a whole day spent getting all brake discs replaced, new rear calipers as I had them in the garage anyway, EBC green pads and braided hoses, as well as fresh DOT4 fluid and shiny silver hammerite smooth.
MeisterRs fitted too whilst the wheels were off!

I was really amazed at how well everything came apart and how solid the whole thing is underneath,  I can excuse it's very much average bodywork.

Somewhere in amongst all that I've managed to fit my black vents and mirrors, HID's, polished up the exhausts and cleaned the MAF and fixed the wipers with some silicone spray.
The engine light had been covered duct tape   s:| :| s:|  so although I suspect it's simply an o2 sensor ill need to invest in a code reader and investigate.

The car how it stands now, feeling transformed already.

delhusband

Brilliant, glad you got sorted with another one  s:) :) s:)  happy motoring
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Very nice progress in a short amount of time!
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Quote from: "shnazzle"Very nice progress in a short amount of time!

+1

Well done, looking good!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

m1tch

Good job  s:D :D s:D  what are your plans with this one? Always good when you get a slightly unloved car to give it a good clean up - I would also suggest looking to get some detailing clay and pull any impurities out the paint as well - will be even shinier  s:D :D s:D

manos3003

Well done! Really good work  s:) :) s:)
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

rich_p

I really am over the moon with this one.
Progress has certainly been helped with the parts I stripped from my original one, one reason why I always try to keep standard parts after upgrading.

Strangely I think one of the most satisfying fixes has been getting the wipers moving again as it didnt cost a penny.

I picked up some bulbs from Toyota yesterday to replace the blown ones in the heater controls and renew the dull ones behind the dials as per Delhusband's thread, as well as two new rubber exhaust mounts as I found one quite badly perished whilst doing brakes/suspension.

I've some smoked side repeaters to go on, helping out the black accents and need to sort some tyres before the MOT runs out in November, they'll be going on my gunmetal coloured 'hyper black' Enkei wheels. I'd also like the windscreen wrapped gloss black to complete its styling. Inspired by the 'Sonic Shadow' MK2 MR2 I've always liked the look of.

I've road tripped to Edinburgh this weekend for a mates 30th Birthday so simply enjoying driving it now. Then it'll be tucked away in the garage for a few weeks as I'm taking the Celica to work in South Wales, even its had a fresh MOT and rear brake pads fitted this last week!

Oh almost forgot after it's first tank of fuel I've calculated 38mpg so it's also the households most economic   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s12vea

Some speedy progress, I'm sure the eml will be an easy fix and prob o2 sensor.

How low have you set coilovers?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

rich_p

I think so too, getting perfect performance and economy so shouldn't be anything serious. I've already got myself an 02 sensor socket ready.

I'm actually not sure how low these are now, I've about 10mm travel left at the front and more at the back, they were set on the last one and simply swapped straight onto this. I like how it sits, just needs its new wheels now.

rich_p

One big change and many small ones since the last update,

The smaller stuff which I haven't pictured includes a clear interior light cover, new bulbs fitted in the dash behind the clocks and heater controls, new Toyota rubber hangers on each side of the exhaust and new wiper blades.

I also got myself an OBD2 reader and found my error was, predictably p0141. I've replaced that sensor with a new DOX206 today and the code hasn't returned  s:) :) s:)   Really would recommend spending the little extra and getting the genuine item as most impressively it even had new clips at the right intervals along the wiring to match the original.

It did however cost me almost as much in new tooling to replace it! the first socket I bought was terrible and did nothing but try to round off the securing hex head of the sensor as the window was too wide and despite being the correct 22mm size was a sloppy fit. I found screwfix supplied a much nicer set of shallow, offset drive sockets which paired with a 3/8 breaker bar managed to get it loose without much fuss at all!

And now the more exciting stuff, brand new wheels and tyres!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  you may also spot the smoked side repeaters too.

Enkei YS5, Hyper Black,  in 15x6.5 ET38 and 16x7 ET38, wearing 195/50/15 and 225/45/16 Yokohama AD08R.

To say I'm pleased would be a massive understatement. I love the fitment and the overall look they give not to mention the improvement in driving. The last time I had it out on it's old setup of worn out naff tyres it was like driving on ice. now it's as firmly planted as it should be.

As soon as I'm happy no more ride hight adjustments are needed ill be looking at getting proper alignment done to finish out off. So far so good though as, I've not felt any rubbing yet and both front and rear wheels sit nicely flush.

Hoping to get some decent time behind the wheel this coming week.  s8) 8) s8)

shnazzle

Loving the wheel and kudos on getting the perfect fitment
...neutiquam erro.

JoeCool

Mint. You don't mess about.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

delhusband

They go really well  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

J03

Perfick fitment   s8) 8) s8)
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

skippa

Looks superb...where did you get the wheels and tyres from?

rich_p

Thanks everyone!

Not sure there's ever such as thing a thing as perfect firment these days with so many different styles, but I'm I'm happy enough arches nicely filled without compromising other areas.

Trust me though, they're the result of nights of headaches considering specs vs what was actually available and trying to compare against the now limited range of photos available across forums. Then it was simply time to take the plunge and go for it hoping for the best!

The wheels were supplied by cyberspeeds/ MeisterR, though they weren't listed on their site as they're an dealer I emailed them and they provided a competitive price.
Tyres were simply from black circles and fitted at a local ford dealer. Can't fault their service though they did seem confused when I dropped off 4 wheels in boxes rather leave a set of car keys!

rich_p

Bit of a long overdue little update here.

Over Christmas I got hold of a few interior bits. Some awesome pieces trimmed by Mondo @hidenseat interiors and a set of JBL speakers which have now all been fitted for a fair while.

I really can't recommend Mondo trimming enough it really enhances the interior and his work is top notch.

Steering wheel and gear gaitor, with speakers hiding in the door card, and also a celica gen 7 arm rest mounted in the middle.

And now some random photos of the car, just because I like them.

andyroo104

Love the look of the interior, car is looking great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags: