From 1.8t to MR2?

Started by jd26, October 11, 2017, 23:06

jd26

Hey all,

So I have been a member of this forum for 7 years, but I am still yet to own a roadster   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

In a predicament at present.. I am running a b6 A4 Avant in s line 190bhp quattro flavour.. but as usual I have the MR2 itch..

I have two options... Keep the avant as a long term project and try to pull some extra power from it to fully exploit the Quattro and have a bit of a 'sleeper' so to speak..

Or, Chop it in and potentially bag myself an MR2 along with some change in my pocket..

The OH has a 'practical' car now, so I potentially have more scope than usual...

Anyone come across from cars such as mine and able to offer experience?  Part of me is worried that in a few years I'll look back and regret selling a practical (slightly) spritely wagon ... Or are you all in your mr2s years and years on with no regrets ?

I feel like I'm just looking for more reasons to warrant making the change   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

JoeCool

The MR2 will feel slow in a straight line. It will be a billion times more fun in the bends.

If it were me, I'd be thinking along the lines of -

If I like fast and want a wagon because they are handy, swap the 1.8t quarter for an S4 avant. (no point tuning a more basic model when the manufacturers made a quicker one for you anyway).

If I want a change, something with zero practicality but maximum driver enjoyment, find a decent MR2 roadster.

Such chalk and cheese options, it really lies with you knowing what floats your boat.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

wotugonado

Quote from: "jd26"Hey all,

So I have been a member of this forum for 7 years, but I am still yet to own a roadster   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Wow that's some hardcore lurking  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I think you know the answer to your question otherwise why be on here for so long, you won't regret it, you may want more power eventually but you wont regret it.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Treboeth

Quote from: "wotugonado"
Quote from: "jd26"Hey all,

Wow that's some hardcore lurking  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I think you know the answer to your question otherwise why be on here for so long, you won't regret it, you may want more power eventually but you wont regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bQwin3Vv0k  

and always remember more power isn`t always more fun   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

delhusband

Funny, I owned a b6 A4 2.5 tdi after owning my first roadster . Needed more practicality, couldn't justify two cars. Big time regrets for quite a few years over that move. Not that Audi was bad, just nowhere near as much fun.
Hate pointy animals

stewart@boro

7 years membership and only 11 posts, I'm surprised you have survived the Autumn pruning  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Having had a 2l turbo diesel at the same time as owning my roadster the roadster provided much more fun, although the diesel did take a few people by surprise  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
TF 160 TTE exhaust and style bar and other shiny bits.
Replaced by an Abarth 124 Spider

Nvy

So from somebody who has 2 cars at the moment - Civic 2.2 cTdi remapped to 220 hp and the new addition to the family Mr2 - i can say some things. I have the car for 2 weeks now.

1. Mr feels slow in straight line by a lot, the civic is shredding tires and getting up to 100 mph takes no time.
2. Mr stops a lot better i guess this is because of the weight and 50/50.
3. Once on the go Mr feels sharper and easier to turn. Altho my civic is heavily modified its pretty close but the Mr feels better coz of the lower center of gravity - less body roll is present.
4. Mr - Rigidity of the chassy - if the Mr has no under braces(before 2003 facelift) it will feel lose a lot. Lots of rattles and cheap plastic even in the trim that i have.
5. Mr - Suspension wise its great and with the right setup the "snap over steer" will not be present. Im on TTE springs and i quite like the ride.

That being said i love my Mr2 and for a weekend warrior is an awesome car but I think ill need to either turbo charge or get engine swapped in to be happy with the power. The civic has lots of tq coz of the turbo and getting up to speed feels so free. If u want to switch it will take some get used to i guess.

P.S. I know i cant compare turbo and NA but this is what op is asking.

Bossworld

Mum currently owns a B6 Avant (1.9 TDI 130) and having had custody of my MR2 for a week, decided to buy an MR2 for herself a few months back.

So to answer your question...

I was down at mum's recently (drove the 150 miles in my '2) and used her A4 a few times for errands.  I have to say I think they're still superb for motorway lugging but it doesn't feel as responsive as I remember 10 years ago. That said, the pickup from 60-80 on the motorway still feels effortless in comparison to either my 2 or my Mini Countryman Cooper S, so I suspect you'd find the same comparison with your 1.8T.

The handling difference of the '2 over my Cooper S has to be felt to believed (and even the Cooper S is comically good at cornering for such a big car), but going round corners in the A4 feels even more detached than that.  The Cooper S is 184bhp and turbo'd so probably a similar comparison to your A4 - I miss the turbo urgency when in the MR2, but it pulls well in 2nd and 3rd through the rev range, and the lack of weight means you never feel particularly slow.

Mum and stepdad both had B6 1.9 TDIs although he totalled his in an accident a couple of years back.  Bought another (this time automatic) as they like them that much, but for all their reliability (on 180k and 80k respectively), they've spent quite a lot of money keeping them on the road.  Seems as though daft things like the position of the electronics is prone to water ingress, then standard bits like turbos, bearings, suspension have ramped up the cost in recent years.  That said, unless you've got the earliest of the B6s, it's not as though an MR2 will be much newer.

shnazzle

I'll just throw in there that my mr2 (stock-ish) kept up with our 3.0tdi v6 up to somewhere around 70mph  s:) :) s:)
Drive it right and it rewards you.
You will miss the torque that the MR2 simply does not have.

Cornering, handling and fun is on another level. And I'm a big fan of the Audi drive (excluding the hideous 2012-2014 S3)
...neutiquam erro.

jd26

Haha hands up I am clearly the biggest lurker on the site, ever since sitting in a sable roadster in a showroom all those years ago I have occasionally hankered for one and come crawling back.

Appreciate it's a really random post so the replies are awesome and appreciated, a friend of mine has recently obtained an NC 2.0 MX5, which I blame for the sudden relapse into MR2 longing...

The Audi is a lovely example, but sadly due a cambelt & service imminently, just after 4 new Goodyear rubbers on each corner which suddenly has me thinking as an enjoyable performance car (if I did get more power from it) am I off the mark..

I imagine the spritely little Mr two would be far lighter on tyre and brake use? Along with the *hope* that it would be a car that I could potentially look at learning some absolute basics about maintenance myself on..? Not got any previous knowledge of tinkering other than the odd filter / induction kit / stereo fitting.. but most cars are a bit complex to bother with yourself..

Chain driven being a huge plus too..

I feel being a bit of an Audi guy I've been spoilt interior wise.. but the better halfs new wagon is also an Audi so I'm thinking best of both worlds   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I've owned an ep3, 182, clk, 330ci amongst other things so do miss the more fun aspect....

Justin.D

Quote from: "jd26"Along with the *hope* that it would be a car that I could potentially look at learning some absolute basics about maintenance myself on..? Not got any previous knowledge of tinkering other than the odd filter / induction kit / stereo fitting.. but most cars are a bit complex to bother with yourself..

You wouldn't be the first to have this attitude. I'm happy tinkering with bits on my MR2 (owned since May this year) that I would never have considered on previous cars. The Other Stu will surely be along soon to explain his journey with the tinkering (Ahem, rebuilding  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: )
Click for my Readers Ride

K T M Rider

I've owned quite a few Turbo VAGs -  Octavia / Fabia / Passat / T4 Van.

All TDI diesels admittedly, but I think I get the lingering appeal of your Audi as they all share attributes that make for a satisfying long term ownership experience (beautifully engineered / styling that never dates / great engines / massive spares availabilty etc etc.)  - making them difficult to part with...........  

The 2004 Passat (1.9 130TDI PD) I was driving May  / June this year before getting my third (that's a clue right there as to which way this is going   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) MR2 in July, so I think I can do a fairly relevant comparison.

Compared to the MR2, the Passat has a grin inducingly potent engine and the rest of the car is decent enough to let you enjoy it (if hardly exciting). Straight off idle, just touch the accelerator and enjoy the drama as the nose of the car lifts and a big wave of torque surges the car forward all the way to a court appearance if you don't keep a beady eye on the speedo. This really is my issue with modern - era VAGS, it seems the only way they can make most of them even slightly fun, is by fitting an engine that regularly tempts you straight onto a speed awareness course (or worse). The MR2 could not be more different, but then it is a bit like comparing a tank and a go - kart.................  

Step into (or actually half fall into) the MR2 and it's just a grin inducing car !!! (and the engine is decent enough to let you enjoy it !)

On my regular work commute (NSL rural road with long straights and regular oncoming traffic) the Passat inspired a bit more overtaking confidence, but in reality the MR2 seems to get past traffic just a quickly, it is just that there is no fuss or drama - because it's something that ISN'T there (about half a tonne of mass) that gets the job done. Get to the (90 degree) bends and the MR2 handling is phenomenal - the Passat is erm, reasonably satisfying for a big car   s:) :) s:)  

Switch to a roadie and yes you will be dropping circa 50bhp, but as you will also be shedding about half a tonne in mass the Roadie will have a better power to weight ratio    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So in short, buy an MR2 and I cannot for the life of me imagine why on earth you'd regret selling your Audi, as you'll be having far too much fun.

This video "10 things I love bout my MR2" sums up the appeal of these cars very well IMHO. Item 9 on his list (the traction off the line) followed by item 6 (the handling) is huge fun just at 25mph in town at traffic lighted T junctions  - feel the instant traction as you gas it away from the lights, then turn the wheel and marvel at the ease that the car changes direction   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAgtLsLhlg m
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

delhusband

+1 what KTM_RIDER said  s:D :D s:D
Hate pointy animals

jd26

What a fantastic reply  s:) :) s:)  thank you!

Am I insane to think I might find a rust free example? If I can get my hands dirty and learn a few maintenance bits myself I will be over the moon

The Audi is currently in for a service and cambelt , sadly taking a while as the garage have come up against a seized pinch bolt whilst updating suspension... Something I imagine is common on the MR2 that I claim i want to learn mechincs on haha..
 once returned I will make good use of it for a while but start seriously considering the move.. I think it's more when than if now!

Hoping to spot one in a dealer in south Wales sometime to have a real good look

steveash

I swapped my B6 Audi S4 Quattro for an MR2 this year and haven't looked back. The Audi was a fabulous car that I had for about 5 years but it is a comfy GT not a sports car. If you use it daily, year round then the Audi is easily the winner. Comfort, quality and highly capable. But for driving pleasure the MR2 Roadster is as fun and agile as just about anything. My S4 was much faster (and to be honest I do miss the V8 growl) and while it was very capable it lacked driver feedback. The MR2 is much more rewarding and as said above, it makes you smile without taking your license.

ColinC

Quote from: "jd26"Am I insane to think I might find a rust free example?

I think you should be starting from the point that you are looking for a rust free example, there are lots out there with very little rust underneath and, none on panels, the main rust is on the rear sub frame, as I am sure you know having been on the site for a while.I am not mechanically minded, though I am gaining a little more experience and recently changed the suspension and there was almost no rust on the underside, but there was some on the components, as you would expect, but nothing that prevented us changing the parts, they all came undone with very little struggle. good luck in your search.

Colin

BahnStormer

They're pretty polar opposite cars - MR2 is a hoot!!

Sorry for the list + essay, but I have a fairly comparable car history, so thought you might appreciate the elements you could relate to - and FYI - the "extra" cars are just that - I'm the only driver in the household:

10 years ago: sensible + fun: A3 1.8T (stock) + Mk3 Golf GTI convertible - HEAVILY modified (far too much to list!)

Sold the A3 for an A4 B6 similar to your one, but the 2.5 V6 TDI quattro sport version: mapped to 220bhp and top spec + lots of mods, but all Audi OEM - SLine bodykit, RNS-E, R8 FBSW, RS4 RARB, lots of S4 mods - alloys, pedals, etc.

Eventually sold the Golf as it wasn't being used enough and with the new baby, it was seeing less and less use. Rusty Brembo's are heartbreaking!

Then onto my current family snotwagon: the family expanded to 3 kids, so needed a bigger rear bench, so 5 years ago I went for a 2012 (C7) A6 TFSI Avant: with the S5 supercharged V6 engine, where Audi detune it even more than they do in the S5 - to 300bhp. Then most owners remap it back up to 375wbhp (450wbhp if you do the SC pulley swap too).

Remapping the A6 was the tipping point... never before has o-62mph in under 4.5sec's felt so boring... the effortless pace, phenomenal road-holding combined with weight of nearly two MR2's and utterly dead, artificially weighted steering make it very boring. Don't get me wrong: if I needed to replace it, I'd buy the same (or Passat/Superb)... but I needed more fun, not more speed. Glad I didn't bother with the pulley as another 75bhp wouldn't have made it any more fun despite 0-62 in "under 4 sec", top speed up from 180mph to 190mph....

More is less! Enter the MR2!

I can't fully explain how different it is: roads that were previously dispatched with a yawn at speeds that would threaten my license (and possibly freedom?!?) are now handled at "approximately" the speed limit and with a huge grin! My theory is that in terms of mods, you don't actually want bigger tyres, etc unless you're chasing laptimes... part of the fun is the way the car can be pivotted/adjusted through the corners on the throttle and wider tyres don't add anything here, they just encourage you to get the same kicks at higher speeds and the Audi has taught me that it is about so much more than speed! The added element is that the car is so light and responsive, that you can very easily unsettle it with one badly timed gearchange, so getting your kicks at lower speeds is probably sensible. That said I am considering an MR2 trackday project in 2018 - TBC if it will be the current MR2 or a new (older) one....

The last car I had this much fun in was my old E30... and that had the extra "fun-factor" of a back seat!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Tags: