12v sockets

Started by Call the midlife!, October 30, 2017, 21:55

Call the midlife!

How many sockets could I feasibly run off the feed to the standard cig lighter socket?
Basically I want to move my standard socket up to the dash top bin but still retain a 12v lower down that will be wired to a USB socket.
I have my dashcam hard wired via a piggyback fuse holder in the cig lighter fuse already.
My plan would be to wire the standard feed into some chocolate block then take the two new feeds from that.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

15amp fuse on the cig lighter.
Rule of thumb is 80% amp load.

So, 12amp.

Cig lighter runs at 12v,so it's built for 144watt.
Most USB devices run at 5v, so only max 60watt for 12 devices of 1amp each.

So, basically.. . Fill your boots.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"15amp fuse on the cig lighter.

So, 12amp.

So (and I won't hold you to this obviously) l'd reasonably be good for the dashcam on the hardwire, satnav plugged into the repositioned cig lighter socket and my youth snapchatting away madly with his iPhone plugged into USB when I decide where to mount it?
Great, super, smashing!
Appreciated, as always.[emoji1303]

shnazzle

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "shnazzle"15amp fuse on the cig lighter.

So, 12amp.

So (and I won't hold you to this obviously) l'd reasonably be good for the dashcam on the hardwire, satnav plugged into the repositioned cig lighter socket and my youth snapchatting away madly with his iPhone plugged into USB when I decide where to mount it?
Great, super, smashing!
Appreciated, as always.[emoji1303]

That would be absolutely no issue at all.
At one point I had: dashcam, 2.1amp phone socket, rear camera and external video output screen.

Remember back in the day people would have phone charger, satnav, mp3 player, external GPS module, radar speed camera detector all running on ciggie lighter
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Yeah, fair point, although back in the day all I had was a sat nav the size of a small, portable TV and a Nokia that only needed charging once a week![emoji23]
Thanks again Patrick, I'll add it to the ever growing list of jobs for the weekend!

shnazzle

Oh, just thought of something else I've recently run on cig lighter. A 2x 6inch dvd screen + dvd player, while running my 2.1amp phone plug and dashcam in our Audi.
You get the point  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Oh, just thought of something else I've recently run on cig lighter. A 2x 6inch dvd screen + dvd player, while running my 2.1amp phone plug and dashcam in our Audi.
You get the point  s:) :) s:)
I get the point [emoji38]

paulj

Have a look on Halfords, most of their ciggy adapters are three or four way models.  You will be fine with what you want to do!
+1 on "fill your boots"
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "paulj"Have a look on Halfords, most of their ciggy adapters are three or four way models.  You will be fine with what you want to do!
+1 on "fill your boots"
Yeah, cheers Paul, I'd got fixated on the length of cabling and rerouting and never thought about the fact you can buy 3 way sockets. That should've said something to me at least [emoji23]

Tags: