Difficulty putting on a JDL side skirts

Started by rokz_2005, October 31, 2017, 17:24

rokz_2005

Managed to fit the front and rear bumpers on .. just about.
Now the skirts. They're fiber glass, need I say more.

When I place the skirt against the body it doesn't fit very well. How much am I looking to pay to get this fitted? Bear in mind I just want it fitted onto the body and no prep or painting required.

Alternatively can someone advise me on how I can do this myself?

m https://www.flickr.com/photos/135555202 ... res/490VW0 m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topdownman

I fitted some fibreglass skirts to my car and they took a while to fit as they were too small for my car so I couldnt get both ends on at the same time. I got a mate to come round and help me hold on an end each but they just wouldnt fit at first. I had to cut away a bit and sand and file the inner edges a lot until I could get them to fit.
They dont actually overlap the inner wing edge by much at all.

I put 3 small screws in to hold the skirts in place in the very small area where they do overlap (use washers when trial fitting so you have more bite when you do the final fitting without the washers). These are mostly to hold in place the skirts while you glue them so dont worry that they dont look substantial fixings. It can be hard to get the holes in the right place when holding the skirt on and trying to guess where the edge of the sill is though.

I fitted them on my own in the end, Once I was confident they would now fit I drilled the holes and attached the skirt at one end then supported it with one hand while I screwed on the other end.

I then noted any areas I could sand down so the skirts followed the body lines as much as possible, took them off, sanded down and refitted until they were as good as I could get them.

I then fully cleaned and degreased the inside of the skirt and the sills where I was going to glue them on using tigerseal (available in white, black or grey) I ordered grey but got white... I then put the tigerseal on the skirts and screwed them in place. I then filled in the gaps at the top of the skirts with more tigerseal. I like tigerseal because it came off easily while wet with white spirit and kitchen roll so no problems if you get it where you dont want it (unless you let it dry!).

I then painted the white tigerseal with an art brush and touch up paint.

I made some black mudflaps to cover the ends and protect them from mud etc.

Definitely worth having a go yourself I would say.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

FuZZy_gr

Jdl...a bodykit that needs more time fitting than you would need to create it from scratch with polyester...I had to cut all the top part you say and remake it on the car! There is no easy way of you are going for a tight fit

rokz_2005

Dont look too bad. Im giving mine in into the body shop. Won't be able to do it myself

rokz_2005

Too much work for me  s:( :( s:(

rokz_2005

Quote from: "Topdownman"I fitted some fibreglass skirts to my car and they took a while to fit as they were too small for my car so I couldnt get both ends on at the same time. I got a mate to come round and help me hold on an end each but they just wouldnt fit at first. I had to cut away a bit and sand and file the inner edges a lot until I could get them to fit.
They dont actually overlap the inner wing edge by much at all.

I put 3 small screws in to hold the skirts in place in the very small area where they do overlap (use washers when trial fitting so you have more bite when you do the final fitting without the washers). These are mostly to hold in place the skirts while you glue them so dont worry that they dont look substantial fixings. It can be hard to get the holes in the right place when holding the skirt on and trying to guess where the edge of the sill is though.

I fitted them on my own in the end, Once I was confident they would now fit I drilled the holes and attached the skirt at one end then supported it with one hand while I screwed on the other end.

I then noted any areas I could sand down so the skirts followed the body lines as much as possible, took them off, sanded down and refitted until they were as good as I could get them.

I then fully cleaned and degreased the inside of the skirt and the sills where I was going to glue them on using tigerseal (available in white, black or grey) I ordered grey but got white... I then put the tigerseal on the skirts and screwed them in place. I then filled in the gaps at the top of the skirts with more tigerseal. I like tigerseal because it came off easily while wet with white spirit and kitchen roll so no problems if you get it where you dont want it (unless you let it dry!).

I then painted the white tigerseal with an art brush and touch up paint.

I made some black mudflaps to cover the ends and protect them from mud etc.

Definitely worth having a go yourself I would say.
Nice write up but I think I lack the tools to do the job such as a sanding machine or a mini circular saw to make trimming easier.

Topdownman

I wouldnt let the tool situation stop you, GF sands really easily and the most exotic thing I used was a round sandpaper bit in my drill.

You can see the gap in my picture between the skirt and the wheel arch but when you glue them on, just use some plastic woodworking clamps (like you get from the pound shop) to clamp it down while it sets and it ends up fitting well.

Have you got a price yet for a bodyshop to fit them?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

rokz_2005

I want to do a lot of things myself then get lazy. Ended up giving it to a body shop. £160 for fitting

D.B.C.

You can do it the right way, by putting it on the car, seal it and just fill the gabs and sand is until it looks right. These side skirts aren't made to come off I think, so it's an one way thing.

Mine are sealed on, and finished 100%, no gabs.

It makes it to be more "the" car, than just "on" the car.

Cheers from Holland!
Blue MR2

Tags: