Anybody switched from an Impreza track car to a 2ZZ roadster or vice versa?

Started by bluesmoke, November 16, 2017, 14:44

bluesmoke

Hi folks, it's been a while but I am considering a return to the fold  s:) :) s:)

After rescuing my last roadster and sending it off to a very happy new owner, I have been mainly focused on building my Impreza STI hillclimb car. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with it being such a heavy beast though, and that's got me wondering whether a 2ZZ roadster would be more rewarding. I'm loathe to switch to something that doesn't have enough pull on the straights, however.

I know it will be biased on this site, but has anybody made a similar switch and is able to give opinions on how powerful a 2ZZ might feel in comparison to a 350bhp Impreza?

Something else I wanted to ask, does the Celica 6 speed gearbox not come with an LSD? I've been doing some reading and keep seeing people mention swapping in the LSD from their MR2 box.

My rev limit currently is set to 7750. With a Power FC, how high can you safely take the 2ZZ? If I were to go down this route, I think the ultimate plan would be to either turbo it after a season or bite the bullet and switch to an Elise, but you really don't want to be crashing an Elise on track....   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm really torn on this. Our class with the Impreza is ultra competitive and we'll struggle to challenge. The roadster offers us a car that's better handling, easier on consumables and I can pretty much fix/repair anything on them. It's hard to look past all that but on the other hand it feels a bit like giving up if we change car and I really do love the Subaru's power.

bluesmoke

Just had a reply through after I asked to clarify the engine thing with the chief scrutineer. If the 2ZZ looked like the 1ZZ externally I.E. essentially the same then we could run it. If it is clearly a different engine and not the same head and block construction (internals being different isn't an issue) we'd actually end up in Sports Libre and that pretty much makes the whole thing a no go.

That's a shame.

jvanzyl

They look pretty similar externally.... You would have to compare side by side to realise the difference if you weren't familiar with the engines...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

JoeCool

If you're being sportsmanlike about it there's no hiding the fact it's an engine swap. Completely different engine heads, and look.

Very different to drive, about as chalk and cheese to an Impreza power delivery as you can get. No guts low down, needs keeping above 6krom all the time. It's own challenge, but nothing like a turbos grunt.

The stock 2zz valvetrain suffers float at 8,600 rpm so if you want to go higher than that it's big money from the outset.

I don't think a 2zz is what you're looking for, to be honest. I'm sure it could be made to be competitive, but not out of the box, and I think you'd need to make it forced induction as a bare minimum to add torque - by which time you may be in a 'pay to win' class.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Mark A

I could not decide so have both  s:) :) s:)  except neither is working at the moment because I'm too lazy and balls deep in DIY

Tedtiler

Our 2zz track car can hold its own with a lot of more powerful cars but torque out of corners is woeful. It also feels 'fragile' engine wise when pushed at 100 per cent all day . We are on our third engine. K20 would be ideal

Tags: