Lockwood sills

Started by michaelb, November 25, 2017, 16:30

michaelb

Hi, I am putting on a couple of Lockwood 'Roadster' sills at the moment, followed the instructions but they don't seem to want to stick. Any ideas?

Call the midlife!

I put some of those on earlier in the year, the chrome ones with tape already attached?
All I did was give the plastic a good degrease and the tape stuck like Sticky the stick insect, stuck on a sticky bun...
They might benefit from a warming up at this time of year to activate the adhesive. But if you've tried already they might need some fresh tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

michaelb

Call the midwife, you are my car guardian angel lol or perhaps fellow Blackadder fan! I completely degreased but you may be right about the temperature. I may need to get more tape!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "michaelb"Call the midwife, you are my car guardian angel lol or perhaps fellow Blackadder fan! I completely degreased but you may be right about the temperature. I may need to get more tape!
I fitted some flashing to bits of plastics on an evening last week and had to give it some encouragement with the heat gun just to get the adhesive tacky, it's not a cold weather friendly job.

michaelb

Yeah its 2 degrees here at the moment. I should have waited but patience is not a virtue I have!

michaelb

I'm going to have to remove the old tape now which could be a bit of an nightmare! I was thinking of trying that gorilla tape the next time.

Call the midlife!

Good luck with that, same methodology applies though it comes off better with a bit of heat applied. Also check that the tape is mating with the raised surfaces of the sill and not sitting in the valleys.

michaelb

Success! The tape came off really easily with hot water. I've got new tape ready but will wait for a bit warmer weather this time!

Call the midlife!

A gentle waft with a heat gun or hair dryer should be enough to get things nice and tacky...

normanh

Don't expect double side tape to stick in 2C its just no gonna work consistently I am afraid having some knowledge in adhesives, it has to be warmer, heat is a cure but remember you really need to warm both substrates .

Norman

Smcknighty

The trim comes off really easily - bring it inside?

michaelb

Thanks folks, I have learnt something new! Adhesives hate the cold and I'll problably have to wait until Spring before I can try sticking them on again! Lol

Tags: