Best rear wing for additional downforce?

Started by HFB, December 12, 2017, 18:47

HFB

Looking to do aero mods once get car back from Steve Norris putting in roll cage.

What is the best rear wing to give some downforce to the rear wheels please?

Looked at Subaru Imprezza 2001 rear wing (nice and cheap) but nobody seems to know if it offers any downforce.

Any suggestions as to best options?

Thanks

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

lamcote

One that is mounted high up in less undisturbed air above the surface of the car, well above the engine cover.
Any wing which genuinely makes downforce on its lower wing surface will be utterly useless if it is mounted within a few inches of the car because the low pressure on the lower wing surface acts equally on the upper surface of the car, thereby cancelling out the downforce completely.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

m1tch

I have removed my TTE spoiler from my car, unless you go for a high big rear wing that is chassis mounted (rather than just bolted onto the lid etc) its just a styling item that creates drag.

shnazzle

Quote from: "m1tch"I have removed my TTE spoiler from my car, unless you go for a high big rear wing that is chassis mounted (rather than just bolted onto the lid etc) its just a styling item that creates drag.
I'm having an internal battle with that. I removed mine and I found it rather noticeable on my drive to/from work on dual carriageways...fully legal speeds of course.
So much so that I've ordered a new spoiler (not TTE this time)
...neutiquam erro.

m1tch

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "m1tch"I have removed my TTE spoiler from my car, unless you go for a high big rear wing that is chassis mounted (rather than just bolted onto the lid etc) its just a styling item that creates drag.
I'm having an internal battle with that. I removed mine and I found it rather noticeable on my drive to/from work on dual carriageways...fully legal speeds of course.
So much so that I've ordered a new spoiler (not TTE this time)

Think I need to do a 'tuft' test when the weather clears up and see what the airflow is like back there, I am running a hard top so might fit a hard top spoiler - worth also noting that the nappy was also designed to help with stability. Mine seems to be ok but it is lowered slightly running slightly wider tyres etc.

Might revisit aero in the future, might look to fit a front splitter as well but need to work out airflow around the vehicle first.

lgriffiths

Spoilers and wings are not the same thing.

Quoteworth also noting that the nappy was also designed to help with stability
How so? I would have presumed someone had just done a blend and an extrude, then cut some holes in it.

JoeCool

An impreza spoiler is designed to do something completely different: Because of the saloon shape and steer rear window it is designed to 'carry' air in front of the spoiler, and the detachment point becomes the spoiler, so you trade lift over the boot lid for drag behind the car. It reduces lift, it doens't create downforce.

I'd suggest that you need a proper wing on the back of an MR2, especially one with a hard top, because the roof line is sloped enough to keep air attached. There's still a low pressure zone though because that's what sucks heat up out of the engine bay.

Ultimately, if you want actual aero, you need wind tunnel time to check it's working how you want.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

lamcote

Quote from: "lgriffiths"Spoilers and wings are not the same thing.

+1

That's pretty significant and means m1tch and shnazzle are both right.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

HFB

So wing it will eventually be.

Thanks for the input everyone.

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

JoeCool

Hey HFB I found you a wing!

2ZZ '02 Roadster

HFB

Not sure if that wouldn't fit in my garage from a length perspective or a height one!!!!
2000 Roadster

MilesH

I had this fitted on an old mr2 with circa 220bhp.

It wasn't until this height that it started to make a difference, and you definitely need a proper front splitter to counteract the lift it can create at the front. I used plywood (pic below).

p.s the rear wing is mount to the rear structure not the boot or bumper.

Tags: