Anyone ever fitted a heated steering wheel from a newer Toyota?

Started by Bugster_MR2, December 16, 2017, 08:22

Bugster_MR2

Driving my girlfriends Leaf to work in the morning makes me want a heated steering wheel. I've seen a lot of steering wheels from same era Toyota models have the same splines and can be installed easily. (For instance, a lot of mk2 owners have mk3 steering wheel.)

So, does anyone know of newer Toyota steering wheels that can be swapped into the mk3, and has heat? I understand extra wiring is necessary.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Joesson

I did wonder why anyone would want/ need a heated steering wheel. Then I noticed your location, so hope you find what you seek.
In the old days we had driving gloves, a mod certain to improve acceleration and add 10 mph to top speed. Then came leather covers for the Bakelite wheel and now leather wheels............and now with heat! Progress.

LeoD

Quote from: "Joesson"In the old days we had driving gloves, a mod certain to improve acceleration and add 10 mph to top speed. Then came leather covers for the Bakelite wheel and now leather wheels............and now with heat! Progress.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   Brillinat.

Arytons white socks and tasseled slip on shoes added 12bhp to his NSX!!!!

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: "Joesson"I did wonder why anyone would want/ need a heated steering wheel. Then I noticed your location, so hope you find what you seek.
In the old days we had driving gloves, a mod certain to improve acceleration and add 10 mph to top speed. Then came leather covers for the Bakelite wheel and now leather wheels............and now with heat! Progress.

I already have a nice set of Sparco leather driving gloves.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've always laughed at heated steering wheels myself, but I am getting older and more comfort-oriented I guess.  s:P :P s:P  
My location is a part of the deal, yes. I retrofitted heated seats last year, and it makes it possible to drive top down for much longer in the fall, and earlier during spring. At the moment it is around -10 celsius here, and I have to scrape the windows free of ice before I go home from work. Gloves are ok, but often hard to combine with touch screen stereo and smart phone. Was that a good excuse?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Bugster
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

LeoD

QuoteI retrofitted heated seats last year, and it makes it possible to drive top down for much longer in the fall, and earlier during spring. At the moment it is around -10 celsius here, and I have to scrape the windows free of ice before I go home from work. Gloves are ok, but often hard to combine with touch screen stereo and smart phone. Was that a good excuse?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Can you tell us more of the heated seats upgrade. I am pushing on and also love my comfort with the roof down so would love to hear how you did the heated seats and look froward to response OP original request about heated seats

Joesson

Quote from: "Bugster_MR2"
Quote from: "Joesson"I did wonder why anyone would want/ need a heated steering wheel. Then I noticed your location, so hope you find what you seek.

I already have a nice set of Sparco leather driving gloves.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I've always laughed at heated steering wheels myself, but I am getting older and more comfort-oriented I guess.  s:P :P s:P  
My location is a part of the deal, yes. I retrofitted heated seats last year, and it makes it possible to drive top down for much longer in the fall, and earlier during spring. At the moment it is around -10 celsius here, and I have to scrape the windows free of ice before I go home from work. Gloves are ok, but often hard to combine with touch screen stereo and
smart phone.Was that a good excuse?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm sure you are " hands free" otherwise your " excuse" would have no credence with the Police in UK.

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: "LeoD"
QuoteI retrofitted heated seats last year, and it makes it possible to drive top down for much longer in the fall, and earlier during spring. At the moment it is around -10 celsius here, and I have to scrape the windows free of ice before I go home from work. Gloves are ok, but often hard to combine with touch screen stereo and smart phone. Was that a good excuse?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Can you tell us more of the heated seats upgrade. I am pushing on and also love my comfort with the roof down so would love to hear how you did the heated seats and look froward to response OP original request about heated seats

-Bought this kit:  m http://www.paddockspares.com/waeco-msh- ... -pair.html m
-Took my seats out of the car. Took the seat apart. Covers off. Not a hard job, but there are small clips that ideally should have been but back on with special pliers. I fiddled a while with them and got them back on with normal pliers.
-Stuck the heaters on to the foam with self adhesives. All you need is in the kit. Foam. Wires. Fuses. Everything is there.
-Refitted covers. Looks like they did before I took them apart. Nothing is visible.
-I took the carpet out halfway from the rear so I could stick the wires through the carpet at the same place as the existing seat switch wires are. I tapped into the sigarette lighter for 12V. Maybe not ideal, but it works. Wiring hid underneath the center console. Switches in the blanks on each side of the steering wheel. The switches are round, so does not look stock, but I dont care about that. They have low power and high power.
-I am happy with them. They have one flaw. They take a bit too long to heat up compared to original heated seats. I am wondering if my lighter power source might be the culprit. When they warm up, the heat is more than sufficient.
Bugster

Enjay

I loooove a heated steering wheel.  Better than a heated seat in my opinion.  Only ever had one car with one though.  It's been really chilly here recently (a few nights of around  -10 C).  A heated wheel would have been nice.

toyofan

I am pretty sure that newer Toyotas still use the same spline as always, I think I have a used Landcruiser steering wheel you can try. (its only the wheel, don't have airbag or covers, but at least you find out if they fit.

Tags: