Dashcam recommendations please.

Started by Carolyn, December 26, 2017, 19:36

smarty72

Well my 'Yi' camera has arrived.

The quality of the packaging and its contents seems far superior to the Nextbase camera I purchased a year or two ago for twice the price.

I've reviewed footage from both day and night and can safely say, that is far superior to the entry level Nextbase we have in our other car too.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, for the minuscule price (£30) it's a no brainer.  I've not tested the ADAS function as I'm not interested in that although I have tested the Wi-fi function + App which lets you quickly review and download footage to your smartphone - that also works great.

Just need to add a class 10 micro sd card (up to 64gb), everything else you need is in the box.

The power lead plugs into a usb, and it comes with a single 12v usb plug for you cigarette lighter socket.  Those that want to power anything else while on the move can just swap that for a twin usb socket.

Hope this helps.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

J03

Replaced my old dash cam on the recommendations in this thread. Received the Yi on Saturday & as above, it's a quality bit of kit for the money.
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

AndPow68

Use a Thinkware F770 2 Channel (front and rear) with hard wire kit. I drive with a hard top hence rear cam. No problems to date, good quality video, easy to use and editable settings using phone app and a WiFi connection. Cost £249.00. 

Bossworld

Checked the footage from my Yi for the first time yesterday. I'm really happy with it, just wish the camera itself was a bit more inconspicuous

smarty72

Quote from: Bossworld on March  9, 2018, 19:54
Checked the footage from my Yi for the first time yesterday. I'm really happy with it, just wish the camera itself was a bit more inconspicuous

It's really quick and easy to download a clip (or part of) to your smartphone via Wi-fi using the app too.

Agree with the conspicuity of it though.

HFB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007SUU7I0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front and rear facing cameras
Turns on and off with car (lighter)
Continual loop record with a tremble sensor which saves a window of video either side of an impact.
Had for 2 years now and working fine.

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Carolyn

I went for the Apeman A80 in the end.  Has all the usual features and a screen but small enough to mount almost behind the mirror.  cheap as deep fried sliced potatoes too.

Thanks all, for the input.  Doubtless this thread will go on.....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BahnStormer

This one has me intrigued as I'd love to have a dashcam that doesn't have to be installed and removed constantly...
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63475.0
Quote from: stchris356 on August 25, 2017, 22:45
Fitted this dashcam today, purchased because it's difficult to spot and bonded to the screen so no one can lean in and pinch it!. I'll post a video from the camera later.

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

tricky1138

Well decided to replace my ageing dashcam and went for the Yi after the recommendations on here.

Plan to swap the camera between my 2 cars so got 2 mounts and cables.

Its fine in the 2, but have a problem in my other car, as it affects the DAB radio in it, completely stopping the signal on it. I've tried turning the wifi off on it which does help a little, but it still cuts out in anything but a good signal area (which is everywhere to be honest!)

Obviously, the solution is not to listen to DAB, but just wondering if anyone had come across this and had a solution?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Bossworld

Quote from: tricky1138 on May 31, 2018, 15:04
Well decided to replace my ageing dashcam and went for the Yi after the recommendations on here.

Its fine in the 2, but have a problem in my other car, as it affects the DAB radio in it, completely stopping the signal on it. I've tried turning the wifi off on it which does help a little, but it still cuts out in anything but a good signal area (which is everywhere to be honest!)

Obviously, the solution is not to listen to DAB, but just wondering if anyone had come across this and had a solution?

How are you powering the Yi in your other car?

In my Mini, the SJ4000 I've got is hardwired and not a problem for DAB. However, my little cigarette lighter usb plug causes DAB to cut out if I plug a phone into it for example. Tried a couple of different cig lighter adaptors and same problem so must be something to do with grounding.

tricky1138

Quote from: Bossworld on May 31, 2018, 18:40

In my Mini, the SJ4000 I've got is hardwired and not a problem for DAB. However, my little cigarette lighter usb plug causes DAB to cut out if I plug a phone into it for example. Tried a couple of different cig lighter adaptors and same problem so must be something to do with grounding.

Oh I never thought of that! The usb plug that came with the yi didn't work (must try getting replacement off them!) So bought another one and that powers it. Might try  a different one, or as you say sort out a hard wire for it.

Thanks.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Justin.D

Quote from: tricky1138 on May 31, 2018, 19:22

Oh I never thought of that! The usb plug that came with the yi didn't work (must try getting replacement off them!) So bought another one and that powers it. Might try  a different one, or as you say sort out a hard wire for it.

Thanks.

In my experience it's not the camera that messes with DAB. It's the wiring, or the cheaper cables. In my daily I've switched the cable for a branded one (Can't remember the brand) and no more issues. I found the hard wired ones had issues with the stop/start in my car so I'm USB powered from a lighter socket now
Click for my Readers Ride

tricky1138

Quote from: Justin.D on June  1, 2018, 07:15

Thanks.

In my experience it's not the camera that messes with DAB. It's the wiring, or the cheaper cables. In my daily I've switched the cable for a branded one (Can't remember the brand) and no more issues. I found the hard wired ones had issues with the stop/start in my car so I'm USB powered from a lighter socket now

Oh more complications!  :(  Think i'll try a different usb socket first and go from there!

Have heard about suppressors for the cables too so might try that if the new socket doesnt fix it.

smarty72

Quote from: tricky1138 on June  1, 2018, 09:38

Thanks.

Oh more complications!  :(  Think i'll try a different usb socket first and go from there!

Have heard about suppressors for the cables too so might try that if the new socket doesnt fix it.

I recently moved my YI from a car without a DAB receiver to one with (in an aftermarket HU) and experienced the same - I assumed it was because I ran the power cable for the Dashcam next to the DAB aerial cable - not got around to re-routing the cable yet to see if it improves things.

Justin.D

Quote from: tricky1138 on June  1, 2018, 09:38

Thanks.

It's worth getting a decent USB adaptor too. The cheap ones don't often have the output they advertise. Some only have 1a output, some have 2.4a. The higher amp rating ones are FAR better even if your camera is drawing low amps. Not all that expensive either. I'll find the ones I use and edit in the links

Edit - I only paid about £6 for this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/MVPower-Chargeur-Allume-Cigare-tablettes-smartphone-Black/dp/B00LXTT2OM/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1527850994&sr=8-25&keywords=aukey+car+usb

Black is out of stock - but I use this cable too - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JuicEBitz-HEAVY-DUTY-20AWG-Micro-USB-Right-Angle-FAST-Data-Charger-Cable-Lead/272622085300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=571743385427&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Fitted to 4 vehicles over the years (And removed from 3, obviously ;) ) and still all working fine (All have DAB which is also fine)

tricky1138

tricky1138

Justin.D

On paper it looks good. I don't think I'd trust anything on the 'Slow Boat from China' though. It's really up to you.

My dashcam is on for about 8 hours a day and I keep 30 days of footage on my PC so I'm happy to spend more for the guarantee it will work, and the warranty.

'Orses for courses and all that jazz. I don't think I'd expect a £30 dashcam along with the bundled cables to be all that reliable in the long term, and have the proper shielding (which could be the DAB issue)

tricky1138

Well decided the take @Justin.D advice and get the Aukey charger. ended up with this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Compact-Aluminum-Adaptor-Samsung/dp/B06XFMFGY4/ref=sr_1_6?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1528106501&sr=1-6&keywords=aukey

All I can say is a big thank you, as it has solved the issue. No breakup of DAB on the way to work this morning and camera working.  8) 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:

Justin.D

Bossworld

Just got around to test viewing some footage from the YI cam since I was able to move the mirror a little further out of the way.

The footage quality is far better than my SJ4000 in the other car and if you pause when you're close to a car, even if it's coming the other way, you can read the reg.  That said, presumably given the MR2's lack of ridigity, it's quite bumpy viewing.  Still for £30 it's a bargain.

Bossworld

The YI is currently £25 on Amazon for 'Cyber Monday'

(You have to click the option to redeem the code to reduce the price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G?tag=22

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bossworld on November 26, 2018, 12:45
The YI is currently £25 on Amazon for 'Cyber Monday'

(You have to click the option to redeem the code to reduce the price)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CXDP69G?tag=22

That does look interesting - for £25, it seems amazing! I'm still on the lookout for one that I can mount behind the rear view mirror fairly silently... ideally no screen and then access the video via WiFi...

Best example of one of these that I've seen: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071ZKVD4S for £70...

Although there's a fairly similar Yi version too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0792Z4M4Z - dual camera, rear view mirror mounted, WiFi sharing AND has a screen built in... £50 if you apply the voucher...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

benjamino

I've just got the Toguard dual 1080. Front and rear facing with combined coverage of 340°. Very good quality picture. Looks a bit combersome in the pics but the format actually works really well. It sticks flat to the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror and the rear facing camera just pokes up above the rear view mirror. It's easily removable just by sliding it off it's flat mount. I think rear facing footage with the top down should be pretty good as the brightness will be even with the scenery. They were on offer recently and with an eBay 10% voucher I got it for £39 delivered. Will post a photo of it mounted if anyone is interested.

idnan

Quote from: benjamino on December 20, 2018, 08:12
I've just got the Toguard dual 1080. Front and rear facing with combined coverage of 340°. Very good quality picture. Looks a bit combersome in the pics but the format actually works really well. It sticks flat to the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror and the rear facing camera just pokes up above the rear view mirror. It's easily removable just by sliding it off it's flat mount. I think rear facing footage with the top down should be pretty good as the brightness will be even with the scenery. They were on offer recently and with an eBay 10% voucher I got it for £39 delivered. Will post a photo of it mounted if anyone is interested.

I'm interested in some pics please. And have you got a link? They do a few different type of dual camera ones

Tags: