Standard OEM alarm retrofit.

Started by Call the midlife!, January 10, 2018, 15:59

Call the midlife!

My car is a 2000 GB model with standard immobiliser etc but no Toyota alarm.
I'm not sure if it was removed to fit the aftermarket one or just never fitted but I'm confident there's no alarm unit in the storage bins and certainly no sounder in the frunk.
So my question is: Is it possible/easier to retrofit a reclaimed OEM alarm, assuming I can get one, or have another aftermarket one fitted.
Ideally I want one that goes off if someone sticks there hand in with the top down (can't for the life of me remember the name for it, been a long day).
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

paulj

The uk models all came with a thatcham class alarm system, it was fitted at the port of entry along with other uk spec items.  The installation guide for it can be found on the Toyota tech eu website, it's in the free section.  Use the filters to select installation manuals for our car and then security as the subject area

m https://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/% ... 4RW3-F.pdf m

Not sure if that link will work, but have a go.

The alarm is armed/disarmed via the 2 button key so you would need to get those as well if you planned a refit of the original.

Regards
Paul
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Call the midlife!

Cheers Paul, that was my understanding of the standard but seemingly not all UK ones were fitted with the alarm on import, or the one on mine was fully removed when a previous owner had the Clifford fitted.
It's got the standard Toyota immobiliser and 2 fully functioning master keys, my question really should have also said can I fit a reclaimed MR2 alarm and program it to my existing keys?
Ideally I want a one key setup without an extra fob for an aftermarket alarm such as the Clifford it came with.
Thanks for your input though.

paulj

Always worth remembering the alarm and immobiliser are separate items which use separate parts of your key.  

The immobiliser uses a chip in the key and a detection ring on the ignition barrel to only start the car with the correct key.  You have this on your set up.

The alarm uses the radio part of your key with the two buttons to set/unset the alarm. Looks like you don't have this as you use the separate fob.

Have a rummage around and see if any of the old Toyota alarm fitments are on your car - things like the retro fit points for the engine bay and frunk switches are a quick way to see if you ever had one.
Today
In the late 1980's

Call the midlife!

Yup, conversant with the immobiliser chip/barrel versus alarm etc and the lock/unlock buttons on the key work the central locking on both doors.
There's an engine bay push button contact in place and a frunk one that's been unmounted and cable tied to a bracket if I remember rightly.

paulj

If the keys operate the central locking you might even still have the OEM boxes in place. Under the rear of the central console to the front of the storage bins should be the control box and the motion detector. Have a look for them.
Today
In the late 1980's

Call the midlife!

I had all the bins out and carpet up before Christmas fitting some dinosaur and remember there being at least one plastic box of tricks under the driver's side bin but can't remember that much detail.
I'm looking on the tech manual now.

lamcote

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I had all the bins out and carpet up before Christmas fitting some dinosaur

And people think there isn't much storage space in these cars!
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "lamcote"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"I had all the bins out and carpet up before Christmas fitting some dinosaur

And people think there isn't much storage space in these cars!
And there's me hopeful of a definitive answer to my question![emoji23]
I saw it after I'd posted it but found it funny so left it.
"dynomat"...

delhusband

[attachment=0:1oxn97s1] ia0 untitled.png ia0 [/attachment:1oxn97s1]
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"[attachment=0:2xblab2z] ia0 untitled.png ia0 [/attachment:2xblab2z]
I wondered how long you'd be...[emoji2]

Tags: