LED rear lights issue

Started by ihs61, January 13, 2018, 09:23

ihs61

Hi

I have changed the front side lights, number plate and interior bulbs for LED ones with no problems.

However I have also changed the stop tail ones for these  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381978590128 m .
When I turn the lights on, both stop and tail come on together effectively creating the impression that I have the brakes on all the time.

Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Thanks Ian

Call the midlife!

Bad earth or bulb holder contacts touching together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

ihs61

Thanks for your thoughts, however I have checked, plus wIth standard filament bulbs everything is okay. Thanks Ian

jonbill

If you don't turn the lights on, do the brake lights come on when you press the brake pedal?
Or do the brake and tail lights come on? Or none?

m1tch

Have you tried fitting them the other way around (as they are wedge) - also, does it state that these LEDs need additional resistors?

ihs61

Lots of things to try,
With the brake pressed the brake lights come on
With the lights on I get the brake lights, then they just stay on with the pedal pressed
I have switched them around, they don't work at all
They are canbus safe bulbs with no mention regarding a requirement for further resistors
Incidentally the car is a 2005 Face lift.
Cheers Ian

jonbill

It does sound like a bad earth - except they're diodes and it can't flow the wrong way. Maybe they're just duff?

BahnStormer

Quote from: jonbill on January 13, 2018, 20:30
It does sound like a bad earth - except they're diodes and it can't flow the wrong way. Maybe they're just duff?

yep, LED = light emitting DIODE, DC won't flow in reverse at all.

Sounds like something up with the earth / contacts not lining up quite properly - I've not had a look, but are there two live lines on the brake/rear lights? If so, are those the wrong way around?
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

chasmundo

Quote from: ihs61 on January 13, 2018, 09:23
Hi

I have changed the front side lights, number plate and interior bulbs for LED ones with no problems.

However I have also changed the stop tail ones for these  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381978590128 m .
When I turn the lights on, both stop and tail come on together effectively creating the impression that I have the brakes on all the time.

Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Thanks Ian
Hi Ian
Sorry, i cant help with your question but I was planning on the same upgrade to LED. Do you mind posting the links of where and which LEDs you bought.

Thank you

BahnStormer

if you really want to raise the bar: look up SparkyLee/SpyderLee's LED rear lights... youtube video on how to do them..... damn!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

chasmundo

Quote from: BahnStormer on March  8, 2018, 13:54
if you really want to raise the bar: look up SparkyLee/SpyderLee's LED rear lights... youtube video on how to do them..... damn!
[emoji106]

Tags: