Reinforcing turbo manifold

Started by m1tch, January 17, 2018, 13:18

m1tch

Hi all,

Just looking into ways to reinforce a turbo manifold to reduce strain on the pipework/headstuds, I was thinking that you could probably run a few metal straps from the turbo flange to the rocker cover (as the whole engine and turbo would move as one) or perhaps run a support to lower down the block where the OEM heat shields would bolt onto.

Just wondering what everyone has done with theirs - guess this hasn't been done much as its usually only a small turbo being bolted onto the side of the engine etc.

Nvy

The channels that im following are usually making some kind of support thats attached to the engine.

m1tch

Thanks for that, I have had a look into it a bit more and looking at some of the manufacturer race engines they all seem to have a brace going from the block to the turbo - bolted to the back of the compressor housing. I guess this means that the block just needs to support the manifold and takes strain off the cylinder studs and turbo flange studs.

ChrisGB

There are threaded holes in the block that are used to support the stock manifold, they would be my first choice.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: