Metal gear selector plate

Started by michaelb, January 23, 2018, 20:34

michaelb

Hi, does anyone know if instead of the normal gaitor you can install a metal plate (like you see in some old sports cars)?

michaelb

Do you guys know what I mean? I probably haven't got the right name for it. I've seen them on Ferrari's etc. And wondered if they could be installed on a 2.

Topdownman

This was discussed a while ago on here but I cant remember if anyone succeeded in doing one. Try doing a google search and you may be able to find the old thread?

I did try making a cardboard template but I couldnt get a useable shape.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

michaelb

I'm surprised if someone hasn't managed it but it may depend on the way the gears are set up I suppose. I think it would look sweet though.

Enjay

Are we talking about these kind of things, as usually (always?) seen on Ferraris?

shnazzle

I'm sure someone on here had tried something similar and couldn't get it to work nicely.
Was it you Simon?

In the end I think it just ended up with draft prevention brushes at the bottom or the like. Looked surprisingly good
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Quote from: "shnazzle"I'm sure someone on here had tried something similar and couldn't get it to work nicely.
Was it you Simon?

I certainly couldnt get it to work with the movement of the gearlever. I an currently using the top of a haagen daaz? ice cream pot as a dust cover...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

michaelb

Yeah that's the one enjay, it would look really nice in the car.

wotugonado

Someone tried something along those lines with a carbon effect material of some sort iirc, but since all the photos no longer show its pointless looking it up   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Edit  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60588 l
I'm bored so I looked it up , it was pointless............
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

m1tch

Quote from: "wotugonado"Someone tried something along those lines with a carbon effect material of some sort iirc, but since all the photos no longer show its pointless looking it up   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Just get the photoshopfix extension on Google Chrome  s:) :) s:)

wotugonado

Quote from: "m1tch"
Quote from: "wotugonado"Someone tried something along those lines with a carbon effect material of some sort iirc, but since all the photos no longer show its pointless looking it up   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Ahh a work around, where do you find it ?

m1tch

Quote from: "wotugonado"
Quote from: "m1tch"

Ahh a work around, where do you find it ?

Here you go:

m https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... apbifiaedg m

wotugonado

Ha nice one, thanks.

Screw you photobucket!  you mercenaries  s:P :P s:P

Topdownman

This was the thread I was thinking of;

l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59610 l
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

michaelb

Anyone know why it's so tricky to do? I might have a crack at it but if it's been tried and deemed impossible then there's not much point!

alancsalt

Selector slots too close together for any "fingers".

Photoshop fantasy:
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

Ozzy

Had a thought...

These selector plate thingies are available for the Gen7 Celicas. Wouldn't they be a direct fit? Or be modified to fit?
Used to have one in my Tsport and caused no issues or anything. The shape of the hole/gap around the gearstick seems to be the same as in Celicas, so would imagine the plate would slot right in.

alancsalt

Only thing I can find for Gen 7 Celica is an owner made custom gate by a German enthusiast, who only made two and said they were too difficult to do - he didn't want to go into production.

Did anyone else or any firm make anything like this?

https://celicahobby.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/426240/re-shift-gate-mod.html

And found another - http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=219587
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

Tags: