Service questions

Started by Reeflodge, January 25, 2018, 19:38

Reeflodge

Hi
I'm going to service my 2000 MR2 at 72k and have a few questions.

Is Petronas Syntium 3000 or 5000 5w30 fully synth oil any good?
What's the difference between 3000 and 5000 oil above and which Is better?
Is there a fuel filter to change of so where is it?
Is there a cabin filter for aircon cars if so where is it?
To look after the fragile engine is it best to service annually even though it's only done 2000 miles in one year?

Thanks
2000 PFL Yellow MR2 Roadster
http://www.fredwoodman.co.uk

JoeCool

>Is Petronas Syntium 3000 or 5000 5w30 fully synth oil any good?

I've used it for 2 years and It's been absolutely fine apart from that time my engine grenaded itself. Seriously though, it's main brand fully synthetic oil, it'll be fine and the price is good. My engine didn't fail because of the oil, although if you subject the car to HARD use I'd consider a slightly heavier weight (like 5W40). the 5000 is fine, I think the 3000 is specific for ford formulation, I.e. a bit more expensive for specification you don't need.

> What's the difference between 3000 and 5000 oil above and which Is better?

Stick with the 5000, it's fully synthetic and it's cheaper.

> Is there a fuel filter to change of so where is it?

The filter sits in the tank. It's probably fine. It's probably not worth your effort and risk to get into the tank to find out. I've cracked open plastic tanks with 160,000 miles on them and they've been immaculate inside. Petrol is clean.

>Is there a cabin filter for aircon cars if so where is it?

I'm genuinely not sure!! Probably under the glove box if it has one.

>To look after the fragile engine is it best to service annually even though it's only done 2000 miles in one year?

Yeah, oil ages by use and by pure age. A year for oil and oil filter is sensible. With low milage you can probably get 2 years out of the air filter. Remember brake fluid too, that also 2 years max to be on the safe side - it's hydroscopic and pulls moisture out of the air, lowering it's boiling point.

BEst way to look after these fragile engines is to keep close eye on the oil level. If it does start losing oil, it'll run for ages more so long as you don't let it run low and starve itself of lubricant. Check it weekly until you know if it's a burner or not, then monthly if you have concerns (or anyway really, always a good thing to check regularly).
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Reeflodge

Thanks Joe

Actually the 3000 Is cheaper than 5000
3000 Is £26 & 5000 Is £37 for 5ltrs

Still need to find out about the Cabin Filter though.

JoeCool

Oh sorry, I misread ECP.

I'm sure I used 5000, and never more than about £25 a bottle. But anyway, it's fully synth, and if you're changing it at 1yr/2000 miles, and the car is only for road use (no track time), don't spend the extra for specification you don't need. The 1zz is not a special or high tech engine.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

SteveJ

Quote from: "Reeflodge"Still need to find out about the Cabin Filter though.

No there isn't one.

krazysteve

I personally would not use 5w30, like putting chip shop vinegar in imho.
We use millers or equivalent 5w40, fully synthetic.
Another thing is clean the PCV as this does get neglected, or even replace it about £29.
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Reeflodge

If 5w30 is thinner than 5w40 surely that would pass through the tiny piston holes that get blocked better?

pauls0212

Quote from: "Reeflodge"If 5w30 is thinner than 5w40 surely that would pass through the tiny piston holes that get blocked better?
i agree totally!
and that is what toyota says should go in.
red 2003 standard so far

Carolyn

Unfortunately, once the holes are a bit blocked, the oil control rings stick in their grooves.  The only proper method is to change oil more than you think you should and then it doesn't happen.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: