Using tablet as android headunit

Started by MrT, February 13, 2018, 16:54

MrT

Hello forum
I've seen a few odd threads about people using tablets with their head units streaming or independently of headunit for diagnostics etc.

Has anybody set up a headunit as the radio/nav unit with a stand alone amp etc? What and how did you do so please?

I have ambitions to put a unit in a Navpod , either a tablet or an entire double din unit (modded Navpod then) but will run a separate amp anyway so figured on cutting out the middle man and just hooking the tablet up directly to the amp and Bluetooth to ECU and 4g for streaming radio/music/nav etc.

Any feedback and experience welcome. Please minimise chit chat and opinions to help develop a practical solution for me and other members in future.

Thanks
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

Justin.D

If you're connecting the headphone output from the tablet direct to the amp you will need either an amp with high level input, or a High to Low line level convertor

Personally I'd keep the 'Middle Man' as you put it, and use a standard headunit.

Tablet headphone connected to Headunit line in. Headunit RCA out connected to Amp - simples
Click for my Readers Ride

shnazzle

There's a fair bit of room for a DIY amp that fits hidden where the stereo would be.
One issue is power; the tablet won't maintain power playing and having the display on using the normal 5v usb feed.
There's a YouTube clip that goes through some key components to make a tablet-based stereo.
It involves a power converter of some description.

...neutiquam erro.

Ozzy

It would be a lot easier using a head unit and connecting to the tablet via bluetooth. That way you still have radio, phone call functions, etc if stereo supports it.

For time being I sometimes just stick my old crappy Samsung Tab2 tablet which I had laying about infront of the double din stereo. Funnily enough, it fits in the gap perfectly. I've simply ran a 2amp datacable/charger behind the stereo, out of the little gap at the bottom of dash and into a twin USB ciggy adapter. No problems at all and tablet stays fully charged; Even when connected to OBD reader or tethered to my mobile data and using Youtube to play songs.

I have been thinking about placing it on top of the dash so I can see it easier. Either in navpod style like you mentioned or making a cutout in the storage lid and making some magnetic+foam lined holders or something inside so tablet sits about 3/4 of an inch deep. A bit similer to Mercs/Audi's but removable and allowing me to still being able to use some of the storage space. Don't think there's enough space to place the tablet top of the heates, just infront of the lid. Will have to take dash apart sometime and check. I'll give you a PM if I ever get round to doing this... Quickly edited a crappy old pic to give you an idea of a tablet in both locations haha.

I did this to my old Tsport Celica as well and it worked without any problems. Did same sort of thing, used magnets behind dash and tablets to hold it on and mounted a wireless charging pad behind dash also leading to a USB ciggy lighter. Didn't need an amp or power converter.

Tags: