Jap Style Number Plate

Started by Hogzi, May 23, 2010, 22:04

Hogzi

Hi all,

I have a MRS and the number plate on the bak looks like it should be square (have the std one on at the mo).  I'd like to go back to square as there seems to be a housing for it 11.5 x 6.5. Do you know if there is anywhere I can get this made up?  I have been on e-bay and searched Google but the closest I can see is 12" X 6".

Just wondered if there is a source anywhere.  Don't care if they are classed as 'showplate'.

Thanks

onion86

I believe 12" x 6" is the right size (pretty sure that's what I have one mine). The UK one has a larger housing on the back of it, if I put a UK 1 line plate on mine I think there'd be gaps either side of it. Jap plates have smaller letters but not sure how these map up against UK law, mine came with the smaller ones when it was first UK registered P.S. the front one is also smaller than UK plate.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

frogger

I've also been looking around at plate sizes, as I need a Jap plate for the rear of the MR-S.
It seems that plates in Japan aren't as highly controlled as they are here, so they vary quite a lot in their exact dimensions.

For a fair while I was looking to find an exact fit for the recess, but came to the conclusion that maybe a 12" x 6" will be suitable.
Whilst the recess is smaller (and therefore 12" x 6" plates will sit over the top rather than within) it will at least cover the whole of the recessed area.
And besides, most Japanese plates are even longer at around 13", so maybe sat like this all along.

Maybe someone who know's exactly what dimension the plates were out of the JDM factory may come along with a definative answer, but in the absence of that info I'm going to give 12" x 6" plates a go.

In the past I've always used  m http://www.platecreator.com/ m  for UK sized plates, as they take paypal and are very cheap.
However, their creator insists on putting the reg all on one line for 12" x 6" import plates.

For any import plate I would recommend  m http://www.craigsplates.co.uk/ m  , as they know what they're doing when it comes to import plates, number plate legislation, and any other out of the ordinary plate queries. I'll be contacting them this week to arrange one for the rear.

Regarding font size, there are effectively three legal sizes - The traditional size, a very very slightly slimmer size introduced when the blue EU badge started appearing on the side, and bike sized.
Any car can have any of the first two sizes, and imported vehicles can have the bike size too IF the plate recess is of a size that demands it.

I'll let you know how well the 12" x 6" plate works once its arrived.

onion86

Quote from: "frogger"imported vehicles can have the bike size too IF the plate recess is of a size that demands it.
That will be how mine has passed the MOT twice with them on then.

Mine is definitely 12x6 pictures of how it fits with both pre and post facelift bumper inserts here.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

frogger

Quote from: "onion86"Mine is definitely 12x6 pictures of how it fits with both pre and post facelift bumper inserts here.

Looks good to me, shall get some ordered.
Now you've got me thinking bout changing the bumper inserts too though!

Hogzi

I've just ordered a 12x6 and might cut if it's too big.

Where do you get those bumber inserts, they look really good

Hogzi

Christ I should have read the picture text, sorry!

frogger

Quote from: "Hogzi"I've just ordered a 12x6 and might cut if it's too big.

Where do you get those bumber inserts, they look really good

Whilst ordering mine from craigsplates.com I just noticed they have a 'custom size' option where you can specify exact requirements.
Now I'm undecided again!

Hogzi

Too late for me!!

I'll let you know how it goes, looks like some cutting may be required

Tags: