Disabling the reverse beep!

Started by Anonymous, July 1, 2003, 18:14

Anonymous

Managed to locate and disable what is for me the most annoying thing about this car.
All 2003's beep when put in reverse, easy fix - could do it again in 10 minutes.   s:D :D s:D  
Anyone interested in how to do it???   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Jon

Anonymous

Yep...is it easy to do?

Anonymous

If i can do it then anyone can!

need to pull off the dash instrument hood - the bit with the speedo and rev counter. Theres 2 clips at the top and 2 at the bottom and it just pulls out.
Then unscrew the instrument panel, one screw at top and 2 at bottom. This will pull forward enough to get at the three connectors.
On the biggest connector, the white one on the right hand side going into the instrument panel, theres a red with blue stripe wire. Its on the top row, 3 in from the left hand side as you look at the connector.
I just snipped it and taped off both ends.

Voila, no more beep!   s8) 8) s8)  
You could join this wire back together at a later stage if you're missing the beep too much...    s:D :D s:D  
Then put everything back together, which is very simple.

Job done!
Jon

Peter Laborne

filcee

My 2001 SMT is fitted with a reverse beeper, and I find it annoying.  (My friends call me the dustcart when it starts going off, though the less well informed think it's a parking sensor!)  Having said that it does server a useful purpose on the SMT ... which is to remind you that you have selected the wrong gear, and are about to back into the bloke behind you at the lights   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

In an SMT reverse gear is selected by 'left and forward' with the stick.  This is the same position as first gear on most manual 'boxes.  There is no detente on the stick - locking collar, push down/pull up movement etc. - to prevent you from selecting reverse - hence the beeper.  Having inadvertently moved the stick in the wrong direction when exiting roundabouts - selecting 1st instead of 3rd for example   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   - I should imagine it is possible to do the same when moving from neutral to 1st gear.  Fortunately I haven't managed to do that yet .... but have resisted the temptation to disconnect the beeper just in case I do.

Of course, you could always avoid using reverse - in which case a trip to Tesco's to practise your donuts is required   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Chris

Quote from: "Jon H"If i can do it then anyone can!

need to pull off the dash instrument hood - the bit with the speedo and rev counter. Theres 2 clips at the top and 2 at the bottom and it just pulls out.
Then unscrew the instrument panel, one screw at top and 2 at bottom. This will pull forward enough to get at the three connectors.
On the biggest connector, the white one on the right hand side going into the instrument panel, theres a red with blue stripe wire. Its on the top row, 3 in from the left hand side as you look at the connector.
I just snipped it and taped off both ends.

Voila, no more beep!   s8) 8) s8)  
You could join this wire back together at a later stage if you're missing the beep too much...    s:D :D s:D  
Then put everything back together, which is very simple.

Job done!
Jon

YES!!!!! there is a god! that beep is gonna get it!  Well it will if i can bring myself to start snipping wires on my new car!

How did you find out about that?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Really easy to do and only 1 wire to snip!

I took the dash apart and went through every wire i could find with a multimeter checking the voltages.

My next task is to find the second most annoying thing - the beep when you open the door with the key in the ignition   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jon H"My next task is to find the second most annoying thing - the beep when you open the door with the key in the ignition   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I've always thought that bonging noise made it sound like I'd got an american motor (for some reason!).

filcee

Yep, they have them in the US because (for some reason) if your car doors are shut for a length of time, they will lock.  

Even if
- the engine is running
- you are not on the drivers seat

Now how hard would it be to check those things?

I guess we have to suffer it because it's easier to have as much of a single spec. to build to than to have to build 47 different variations for each market you sell to.  (Of interest is the fact that the Elise at one time had 3 different front bumpers because of the different markets they were selling to - all highlighted by the fact that the original front-end was not to US spec.)

Ho hum - back to the rental car  s:D :D s:D  

filcee
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

In the US they lock, as some insurance companies will only ensure if you have anti-car jacking features on your car (ie the doors lock automatically).

The MR2 ROC has this feature, but it must be enabled by the dealer.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"In the US they lock, as some insurance companies will only ensure if you have anti-car jacking features on your car (ie the doors lock automatically).

The MR2 ROC has this feature, but it must be enabled by the dealer.
So the owners club has an anti-car jacking feature?!

Nice one!

s:P :P s:P  

--H--

Anonymous

Yeah, thats why im here so much... aint worked out how to get out!!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"So the owners club has an anti-car jacking feature?!

Oh ho bloody ho!...the MR2R then!

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Jon H"I just snipped it and taped off both ends.

Does this affect your warranty? I'm not too sure Mr T would be happy that you took out the instrument panel and snipped wires.

Anonymous

You lot are getting rid of reverse bleeping. You must be MAD. I think its dead classy and I'm going to add it to my '51 roadster; along with brown go faster stripes and black-out window film.

OK before I get lots of offensive replies ... only kidding  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Actually bit jealous of the 03 side vents and rear lights... may very well partake of these; its nice to see there will be something left for Mr T to improve next time!

Anonymous

Hopefully in the next model Mr T will reintroduce the sony head instead of the fisher price one that we 03 drivers have to put up with.

It seems that the cost of rear 16s, new vents and spots was so expensive, that they could afford a decent stereo anymore.

Anonymous

I thought the stereo was a panasonic unit, and as Panasonic are Toyota F1's main sponsors, I wouldn't be surprised if a change back to Sony will have to wait until Toyota change sponsors.

Anonymous

I followed the guide to stop my MR2 beeping when reverse is selected, all OK until I removed the big white connector from the back of the clocks. There is no red/blue wire and the hole in the connector 3rd in from the left is empty. But still it beeps ARRRGGHHH ! I've got a 2001 SMT, please someone help and tell me which wire to cut. Thanks.
Mr L
  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

The guide I wrote was for a 2003 onwards manual so i'm not much help with smt.
If you can get hold of a multimeter then check the dc voltages along each of the wires when reverse is selected - when you find one that goes to 12v when in reverse and 0v when not then you've got your man!

GSB

The reverse beep is fine, I dont mind it as its the only thing that stopped me doing a full throttle banzai 0-60 dash the other day at a set of lights. The ones that REALLY 'kin annoy me though, are the "keys in the ignition" beep"  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   and the "you're not wearing your seatbelt" beep...

The seatbelt one is the most annoying thing I've ever ever come across. It beeps at you, and when you ignore it, it actually gets louder and more insistant!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Bongo

you can turn that off with some sort of secret key twisting ODO button pressing code...

roger

Quote from: "Bongo"you can turn that off with some sort of secret key twisting ODO button pressing code...

I tried that, but I haven't been able to do it. I got the "sequence" from a post in here somewhere I think. I only gave it about 5 minutes, perhaps one day I'll give it a proper go.

Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Asterix

Quote from: "JonHatto"The guide I wrote was for a 2003 onwards manual so i'm not much help with smt.
If you can get hold of a multimeter then check the dc voltages along each of the wires when reverse is selected - when you find one that goes to 12v when in reverse and 0v when not then you've got your man!

Or that wire is for the white reverse light on the back of the car  :-) :-) :-)

Marcel

Anonymous

You say there are two clip at the top and bottom of the instrument hood but I'm unsure where you mean and how you're supposed to release them to pull the hood out. Could someone please explain as I've got a very annoying rattle behind?   s:? :? s:?  

Thanks,

Andy

roger

Quote from: "AndyR"You say there are two clip at the top and bottom of the instrument hood but I'm unsure where you mean and how you're supposed to release them to pull the hood out. Could someone please explain as I've got a very annoying rattle behind?   s:? :? s:?  

Thanks,

Andy

The clips hold the cluster finish panel to the main dashboard. They are above and below the outside instruments. I have never done it, but apparently using a taped (to stop marking) scraper ie flat thin mettalic thingy, insert this between the two surfaces and lever / prise the panel from the dashboard. The instruments themselves can be removed by undoing the 3 screws that are exposed when the finish panel is off.

I am not too certain whether the clip is reusable though. The diagrams are a little confusing.  Can somebody who has done it confirm?

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: