OCV + filter replacement - P1349

Started by onion86, April 28, 2012, 17:04

onion86

Well I had a 1349 code come up on my new '2 3 times since I've bought it including after an oil change so I thought I'd get down to trying to give the OCV a clean, after a nice bit of helpful info from Richard (rbuckingham) I thought I'd give it a go. Quite an awkward thing to get to.

I managed to get the OCV out easy enough but the filter (a bolt underneath this) stayed in the engine after removing the bolt... I then processed to drop the bolt due to the awkward nature of where my hand was straight after thinking "don't drop that you'll never find it"   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   I've removed the nappy and looked under car but can't see it, looks to be almost directly above the oil filter area... any idea where it would've come to rest down there and whether I have any hope of retrieving it?

Also any way to get the filter/strainer out as I put my little finger in and can't feel it after trying to get at it with tweezers as per the Aussie OC ( m http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/i ... strainers/ m ). If it's got pushed into the engine it's not going to go anywhere it shouldn't is it?

I'm tempted to just try and find the bolt, put it back in and leave it to someone that knows what they're doing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but that's tomorrow's job as surprisingly it started raining again and I'm a little annoyed as nothing ever goes to plan!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   the joys of diy!
You can buy extending magnetic pick up tools for five or six quid and probe around in there but it may be cheaper to buy the bolt!
You can also buy extending mirrors with lights to see whether or not the filter is there.
Your plan 'B' starts to look more attractive   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

onion86

Flexible pick up tool purchased (£5.99 at Halfords), they did have the flexible mirrors right next to them but decided against bothering with that I'm sure I can figure out a way to have a look... now I just need to wait for the 'drought' to finish so I don't drown outside!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Tried to call you yesterday mate regarding this as it no doubt stuck in the plastic which goes round the tank. As for the strainer nose pliers with that 90 degree bend should get it.

onion86

Cheers for the phone call mate sorry I had to rush off, had to get to the cinema. I'll see if I can get the bolt today hopefully I can just stick my hand up and grab it.

Thought I'd get a new bolt ordered today just in case as I have to use the car on Thursday so I've got all the parts ready for pickup Wednesday morning from MrT (filter was already in stock but have to order bolts, I'm sure they're not usually required  s:) :) s:) ) and I'm screwed if I don't have a bolt by then  s:? :? s:?

For future ref (thanks to CTP)
part numbers are:

WASHER - 90430-14009
BOLT - 90341-14013
Filter, OCV - 15678-21010
Cost £11 for the lot from MrT

PeteT

When you finally get the filter out, would you mind telling me how you did it please? and any tips if you were to do it again   s:D :D s:D  

I have the same error code appearing. I have changed the OCV valve but not the filter. I have had the code trigger once in the last 6 months since changing the valve but i do get a pending code every so oftern.
Pete

onion86

These are my weapon of choice, but I'm still not holding out massive hope, will have a go this evening!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_530651_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Anonymous

they might not be able to grip mate as they round at the end.

this is what you need as it has a flat edge to grab with.

m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65469#tab1 m

onion86

Spot the run away bolt caught on top of the oil cooler pipes  s;) ;) s;)

Well last night I got a little helper (Emma) to give me a hand, with her small hands she got into the space a lot easier than I had. She tried the tweezers but the filter was obviously in too far as she couldn't get at it. Instead, I asked her to put the bolt back in and turn it hand tight, I then unscrewed it again really slowly and carefully and the filter came out with it... that then fell down but luckily it was caught directly below so she could reach (phew)  s:D :D s:D  then the heavens opened so at least we'd finished!

The filter film didn't really look blocked, only a couple of little darker parts obviously from the old oil so hoping that's the problem. I've cleaned it up so it looks good as new but I'm picking the new one up from MrT tomorrow morning just to rule that out. I've cleaned the main solenoid and that's dry so it's ready to go back in too.

Didn't need the pliers in the end but I might go pick them up anyway as they will help out with the turbo install, normal pliers like to slip off circlips a lot.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be up and working again o/

onion86

Well car's running with the old filter cleaned and back in, I'll put the fresh one in next week if I get a CEL this weekend, if not I'll leave it as it is as that was harder than fitting a turbo! Driving up to Telford tomorrow and back Monday so didn't really want the car out of action until I picked up the new filter this evening. Thanks for everyone's help on this as always  s:) :) s:)

CEL was on when I first started the car but realised I hadn't set the ECU so it was a P1656. Open or short in OCV circuit from when I'd unplugged the OCV. Code reset and all working on a short 10 mile drive, took her round topless go-kart style... definitely missed driving her!

PeteT

Thank you for your write up.

Quote from: "onion86"it is as that was harder than fitting a turbo!
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   What did you remove if anything to get to the bolt. Just the charcoal canister?
Pete

onion86

I removed the charcoal canister, but left the holder. Yesterday I also removed the dipstick tube from it's bracket on the engine and bent it upwards as goes round directly above the bolt and made it extremely awkward to get to (that's originally why I dropped it).
**It did bend back and the dipstick goes in/out as it should but I assume doing this may damage it so if you can do it without I'm not recommending this.**

onion86

250 miles later and the light didn't come on so currently (touch wood) looks to be OK!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

On a slightly different note, the bolt replacement (90341-14013) isn't identical to the original bolt, instead of being a hollow 14mm bolt it is a hollow bolt with an allen key hole instead... this would probably make life slightly easier to undo/tighten it as it's impossible to get any more than 1/4 turn from a spanner in there as then you'll hit metal, but might be a bit more difficult to get it in the hole to start with as it might be slightly harder to grip.

Wabbitkilla

Replaced my filter at the weekend too, but it was while I had the wlternator out too ... made sense at the time.
It's a tricky place to get at with the alternator in position.

100K miles and the filter was really pretty clean, I'd bought a replacement anyway so the new one went in without issue.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

onion86

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"100K miles and the filter was really pretty clean, I'd bought a replacement anyway so the new one went in without issue.
I'd say as long your oil is changed regularly this issue should never arise; so anyone that looks after their car (unlike the woman that used to own mine) should never have to go through this.

I'm definitely going to leave it with the cleaned old filter in for now. If there is any gunk in there anywhere I'd rather it got on the old one then I'll replace the filter with the new one after a couple more oil changes. So far I've averaged well under 100miles/month in my car so might be a while until I do actually change it but I generally do it twice a year.

I'll also amend the title of this thread to filter replacement rather than my lost bolt for future ref  s:) :) s:)

PeteT

Quote from: "onion86"250 miles later and the light didn't come on so currently (touch wood) looks to be OK!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

On a slightly different note, the bolt replacement (90341-14013) isn't identical to the original bolt, instead of being a hollow 14mm bolt it is a hollow bolt with an allen key hole instead... this would probably make life slightly easier to undo/tighten it as it's impossible to get any more than 1/4 turn from a spanner in there as then you'll hit metal, but might be a bit more difficult to get it in the hole to start with as it might be slightly harder to grip.

I picked up a spare bolt at the weekend just incase i did the same (drop it) and it is the same hollow bolt with an allen key hole . I imagine its easier to put this allen key bolt in. I haven't tried it yet though.
Pete

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "onion86"I'd say as long your oil is changed regularly this issue should never arise; so anyone that looks after their car (unlike the woman that used to own mine) should never have to go through this.

Indeed, I just did it as a precaution as I was replacing the alternator anyway, I've had the car since almost new and it's always been serviced with flush and decent quality FS oil. I had to replace the ocv last year so it made sense to replace the filter just in case it was clogged. It took a bit of torque to undo the old bolt, but I guess the Aln version allows you to get the bolt in place on the end of the aln key ... which gives you more room for fingers so you don't drop it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

onion86

Well, code came back on with a vengeance this weekend (did ~500 miles though), out of the 10 or so times I started the engine it came on 5 times at various points in journeys... time to cry. Tempted to take it to MrT for a full service but put almost £40 worth of Fuchs in it just over a month ago which's still in tip top condition.

I was hoping I could wait until turbo time and having a clean sump and another oil change under her belt would've completely got rid of it but not quite so sure now. Not wanting to use engine flush type products, is a professional engine flush likely to be safe for the engine?

Also noticing the timing belt being a little squeeky which I don't like the sound of  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

Wabbitkilla

Time to try replacing the actual OCV then   s:? :? s:?

onion86

Yeah probably best to try that rather than throwing heap loads of oil at it. Still think it's due to the old oil that was in the car when I bought it but at least then I can check that off the list.

Wabbitkilla

The OCV isn't all that dificult to change (with a cold engine   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), probably easier than the filter.
May be worth checking the plug on the cam position sensor too   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

If you still got that new filter might be worth doing that first, might still be some clagg still in it.

onion86

I did clean it pretty well with soap/water and half a can of carb cleaner  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm thinking if it is still due to old bits in the oil then the new filter would surely just getting bunged up which may be why it was fine for 300 miles with the clean filter then came back again? I'll definitely try the new filter and currently seeing if Mr d2ski has an OCV. Unfortunately I don't have any trips in the car planned until at least the end of July.

Yeah Nic, I cleaned the OCV when I did the filter too, don't think I ever would've got to the filter without taking the OCV out, MUCH easier job!

Wabbitkilla

It's not scary to use engine Flush, a few of use use Wynns...
 m http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255221 m

Dump it in, bring the engine up to temperature and a little drive around the block.
Stop it and drain.
Replace filter, and fill it back up again with a decent FS oil.

End of story.

Agree it might be good to take a look at the filter again, you could see clearly through mine and there were no lumps or deposits and that was after 100K miles.

PeteT

funnily enough mine came back on today   s:( :( s:(   I still haven't fitted my filter yet though. I've tried but i can't bend my arm round enough corners to get too it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I have had quite a lot of pending codes, they have been clearing themselves though. I cleared the code and when i got home, i had another pending code   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Pete

Tags: