[GI] Carbon Side Vents Streamline

Started by StuC, August 4, 2012, 21:23

StuC

I headed over to Northampton today to visit Streamline Carbon to see what was what, armed with the side vents and clips D!ck2ski had sent over to me FOC. (Thanks fella   s:D :D s:D )
(prompted by this THREAD)

They had already made a basic part, shown here alongside the standard pre-facelift part. This was a simple single skinned part with no retaining fixings.

I then removed my vent and offered up to the car, for a 'first off' part it fits OK...

There are a number of development issues, which have an effect on the price namely due to complexity of fixings.
The base price for these is coming in at about £200.

With that figure how much interest is there?

They also asked if anyone else made anything like this. So apart from the C-One vents does anyone know of anything out there already and if so how much?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

I think there will be zero demand for that shape. The FL ones are in demand. Something like the C1s but better is what Id hoped for.

StuC

I am sure the lay tool can be modified to produce the facelift version.

I thought the C-one version was a pod that extended over the top of the existing vent. Is that correct?

Anonymous

Nathan can answer that one.

chris3boro

Looks good but could never pay £200 for them, or half that personally speaking (just couldnt justify it, nothing against the items)

andibell

C-One vents look like these:

I think these look a lot better than the standard, pre-facelift, but at £200 are more than I could justify spending.  I think somewhere around the £50 - £75 would be closer to what I would have expected.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

nathanMR2

There are a few versions on the C-one vents knocking around. The 2 ive seen are quite different in comparison. Im sure mine are different to Andy's but im not sure if he's are originals or not
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

They would be worth about £120 IMO, and ive bought plenty of carbon! Thats considering the amount of work gone into them and for that price i think would be worth it. All depends on personal taste guys. They look much nicer then the originals or the FL inserts i think but ive told myself NO CARBON for the 2 had enough nightmare with the stuff on the 7.

StuC

Quote from: "nathanMR2"There are a few versions on the C-one vents knocking around. The 2 ive seen are quite different in comparison. I'm sure mine are different to Andy's but I'm not sure if he's are originals or not

Are yours a total replacement for the current vent or more like this version?

Pictures taken from here

Anonymous

There isn't one that is made in one they are all like your pictures. I attempted to make an all in one vent but couldn't make the clip points so was using pre face vents and bonding them on but the bonding kept moving so the paint cracked.

StuC

Are all these additional parts just stuck onto the body then, with something like 3M tape?

onion86

Original C-One vents attach to Pre-FL vents with 2 screws but also have to be bonded to the bodywork. There's a few pics of mine attached to the vents here  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37509&p=447459&hilit=vents#p447459 l

If you want anymore pics they're still sitting in my garage at the moment.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

StuC

Quote from: "onion86"Original C-One vents attach to Pre-FL vents with 2 screws but also have to be bonded to the bodywork. There's a few pics of mine attached to the vents here  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37509&p=447459&hilit=vents#p447459 l

If you want anymore pics they're still sitting in my garage at the moment.

Thanks Stu  :-) :-) :-)

Can you easily see those fixings from the outside of the car then? It looks like those screws go from inside to outside.

onion86

I guess you can see them but they're not that bad (see pic below - you can also just see the top one in Andi's pic earlier). The main thing is the grey pre-facelift vents make it look a bit, meh. I'm sure you can fix them without the fixings (i.e. with nice looking FL vents behind and just bonded to the bodywork like the copies you posted earlier) but they're obviously not as secure, I'd say just spray the pre-FL vents in body colour, that's what I'll be doing with the new car.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

StuC

What is the general fit like to the body, on the rearmost upper portion in your picture, it looks like it is standing off from the body.

onion86

Yeah it was off a little bit there when the pic was taken. I'd been a bit lazy with refitting it after I cleaned the drains out. Was fitted perfect before hand and later on when I got round to re-doing it.

AckersMR2

I like the idea, could they could also make a plain version ready for painting for those wishing to go down that route instead of carbon?
If it was me I would think about permanently bolting it to the wing to ensure it pulls down flush to the panel, then prep and fill the edge so that it becomes a part of the wing and respray the whole panel, obviously a whole lot more work and money but it would look so nice  s:) :) s:)
You'd have to make sure you invent a self cleaning drain before you did it though  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

andibell

Quote from: "nathanMR2"There are a few versions on the C-one vents knocking around. The 2 ive seen are quite different in comparison. I'm sure mine are different to Andy's but I'm not sure if he's are originals or not

Mine say C-One on the inside, so I'm hopeful they're original!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal

nathanMR2

Yours could well be Andy but i have seen atleast 2 different versions. I think mine just stick out from the body a little bit more
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Anonymous

Isnt a mk3 version of these what we want?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Ca ... 500wt_1361 m

Sorry about the link, mods, its just to demonstrate an idea.

chris3boro

^ Nice!

wotugonado

The ones in d!ck2skis link are quality, if they made those for the roadster id snatch their hand off.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

StuC

Quote from: "dick2ski"Isnt a mk3 version of these what we want?

I am getting the feeling that different people want different things! lol

E

Quote from: "dick2ski"Isnt a mk3 version of these what we want?

Ideally something like that but an all in one unit that replaces the whole side vent so that fitment was a perfect fit and the same unit would fit both pre and post facelift, now that I would happily pay £200 for

StuC

I was going to create a poll for this, but then realised I have no idea how!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Can anyone help me on this please?

Tags: