Headlight issue

Started by Pavett1990, February 9, 2013, 11:51

Pavett1990

Hey guys,

Iv had a little search here but cannot find the answer I'm looking for..

My bulb has blown and need to change it.. ..

Now my question is I have tried to remove the old bulbs and it seems the metal clips that hold the bulb in place are screwed in? I have never seen this before I'm kinda hoping that toyota have used a money making scheme so people take the cars to them rather than for some reason it's just mine..

My dilemma is now I may have to remove the headlight units themselves to gain access (fat hands)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Iv had a look but can only see 2 screws that's holding the unit in but nothing else..

Is this going to be a bumper off job?

Thanks guys

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

AckersMR2

I don't want to dampen your fireworks and I'm not sure if, when, or if it has already been introduced? But I thought VOSA were making changes to effectively outlaw retro fitting of HID kits to headlights?
Something along the lines of they either have to be a standard manufacturer fit or the car must be fitted with self levelling headlight adjusters and a headlight cleaning system? Something like that.
A quick search found this
http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/tp/hid-kits-new-legislation-2012/
My only car is a Ducati 

Pavett1990

Iv heard nothing there are hundreds of cars around this area with hids that are not standard fitting,, all I need to know is the info regarding headlights

Zonda_

Yep, aftermarket HiD kits will not pass an MOT.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

nathanMR2

Front bumper needs to come off to remove the front lights
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Pavett1990

No more mention of HIDs it wasnt my question  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Is there an how to on here so I can follow to do quickly and without breaking anything lol.. Or does anyone know how to do it properly?

minimike

I am sure you don't need to remove the headlights to change the bulbs. I removed the bulbs from mine to fit night breakers only to discover I had bought the wrong ones. It is a bit of a bugger to do tho. If you can get a small mirror it means you can see what you are doing better. There is a spring holding the bulb in like every other car, you just need to unclip it. No screwdriver is needed. I think you will find a 'how to' on here or just google it.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Pavett1990

That's what I thought you see.. There are 2 small screws holding the metal clips in place so they won't come off..

AckersMR2

Quote from: "Pavett1990"No more mention of HIDs it wasnt my question  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well we'll soon see, you've got your MOT next month?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
My only car is a Ducati 

Pavett1990

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "Pavett1990"No more mention of HIDs it wasnt my question  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Well we'll soon see, you've got your MOT next month?  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Indeed I do lol

2 of the left

Think of retaining clip as a horseshoe shape - squeeze the 2 outer ends together (or towards each other) and they will release themselves from the keyways that hold the clip - I reckon the 2 screws you are seeing are the screws that anchor the bracket that allows the spring clip to pivot down when released (So that it wont drop away completely from the area!)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

minimike

He's right, the screws hold the spring clips on but you just unclip the  spring and it pivots out. You don't need a screw driver.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

Pavett1990

I just can't get my hands in there is there a way of getting more room without removing headlights?  

Zonda_

Is there an how to on here so I can follow to do quickly and without breaking anything lol..

No, you'll always be breaking the law!   s:D :D s:D
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Zonda_"

Is there an how to on here so I can follow to do quickly and without breaking anything lol..

No, you'll always be breaking the law!   s:D :D s:D

Not funny  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

2 of the left

If you think the headlight transfer is bad - Just wait until you have to change the sidelights!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  There are 3 holding screws to the whole unit - 1 of which is under the bumper- If you remove the 2 you can get at you can lift the light array up a few mils - It may just be enough to get your hand in to unclip the headlight!! You will also find that the passenger side is more difficult than the driver's!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Pavett1990

I'm not looking forward to that now because they were next on my list.. Perhaps I should do them the same time when headlights are out

2 of the left

Quote from: "Pavett1990"I'm not looking forward to that now because they were next on my list.. Perhaps I should do them the same time when headlights are out

Correct  Do remove headlight before attempting the side/parking light The lights on drivers side = position yourself next to the wheel and turn you hand backwards (if your right handed)and locate the top of the spring and apply pressure to release by pushing the ends towards each other - once they have released move the clip so that it pivots away from the area and remove the headlamp - Underneath the headlamp position you will see the parking light connection - remove by a quarter turn to the left and extract (my parking light was a pain to remove - the previous owner had burred the apperture so that the bulb housing was "locked" in) Expect to lose some skin during these evolutions!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Once the headlights are in there is no reason to worry about centring because of the lugs on the bulbs are positioned in such a way that the lamp/bulb will naturally centre itself!!

Pavett1990

Awesome thanks for that

Tags: