Modifying the Reverse Beep - Now Fitted & Working!

Started by gazza1286, March 9, 2015, 12:52

gazza1286

Like most owners, I find the reverse beep a bit annoying. But given the gearbox configuration it is a good safety device. However a beep is only really necessary at the point of selection. (especially if reverse is chosen instead of first). I'm planning on fitting this 'normally closed' timer module and setting the timer to a couple of seconds. Any thoughts?

m http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 56&alt=web m

Topdownman

No helpful electrical knowledge I'm afraid but I like your thinking and fully agree with you.

If you get it working please do a how to guide!!

Good luck.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Kees

This could work, but please consider that you probably will have to cut wires to install the board electrically. You will also have to find a place and method to install the board in the car.

I followed the easy route and just sticked some tape on the beeper to make it less loud.

adamjob

I am currently looking at installing a relay with a normally open circuit, when reverse is engaged the circuit will close and beeper actuated.

A capacitor and resistor will be used between the earth and relay making a delay timer when I get the capacitor correct it will beep only once.

Around a fiver for all parts.

Thanks

Adam.

adamjob

Ok got this working.

When select reverse one beep.
Out of reverse one last beep.

So much better and took around 30 mins.

My calculations were right first time too (or may have been a fluke)

I will post a wiring layout when I get back home.

gazza1286

Hope you have a photo of the dash too. The instructions on Spyder Chat seem clear enough but any help would be appreciated. The eBay module is on route - the wiring for that looks easy. I like the idea of the timer on that unit.

adamjob

The timer comes from the capacitor the bigger the rating the longer beep you get.
Dash wiring was pretty simple. On the biggest connector, the one on the right chop the red and blue cable. I checked it first with a multimeter.

adamjob

This is the wire I cut, I crimped bullet connectors on to easily put back to standard.

This is the wiring diagram if the capacitor is uprated you will get more beeps, this one gives you one beep on activation and one on deactivation.

Gazbills

Great work. Sure I've got all the above in my box of tricks.
2ZZ-GE converted 03, black, TRD bodykit + scoops, hardtop, Meister R coilovers,  TTE exhaust with sports cat, Apexi PFC + TTE style bar & Rota Subzero 16\'s

Jaffacakes

Good job, but I'd be happy just making it a lot quieter, where abouts IS the actual beeper? kees mentioned just putting tape over it...

Cheers
Geoff

gazza1286

This thread shows the beeper - and how to reach it.

l viewtopic.php?t=36495 l

Jaffacakes

Cheers gazza

Geoff

gazza1286

The timer module I ordered from Hong Kong arrived yesterday. Nice and compact. No instructions enclosed but the sellers eBay advert has clear wiring guidance.

Splitting the loom behind the binnacle was a breeze thanks to the image posted by Adam. Many thanks. A length of twin core speaker flex was threaded behind the dash to the glove box area where there's plenty of space.

The module was cable tied in place and a ground cable added to the earthing point on the cross member above it.

The timer trim screw is set to allow three beeps before cutting out which I think is about right. £3.99, some scraps of flex and less than an hours effort. I'm well chuffed.

shnazzle

Ooohh... I like this!
Must do.
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Can anyone explain why the wiring diagram shows four connections with one wire connecting "from battery" but the photo only shows three wires connected up to the module? (I presume it is the battery connection referred to that is missing?)
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

gazza1286

If I recall correctly the wiring option and jumper link is the third diagram - there are only three wires leaving the module as per my photo.  

If you imagine that the circle with the diagonal cross is the reverse beeper it sort of makes sense. (the ground connection from the beeper is not seen and is unknown but it is the SAME ground which is linked to the module as there is only one ground on a car - the body shell).

Hope that helps.

joetait

5 layers of duct tape over the clusters squeeker takes it down to almost silent.

Tags: