Subwoofer installation - Amplifier location

Started by gazza1286, July 28, 2015, 18:26

gazza1286

Hi - planning to build an under-dash subwoofer to enhance the audio system. I've checked a few posts but cannot find the dimensions of the unit previously sold by markii. Does anyone have the correct measurements?

The next issue is Amplifier placement. I'm considering mounting it on the outside of the storage bin in the frunk. Fabricating some type of shield to protect it from the elements shouldn't be too difficult.  Has anybody tried this? Or have any opinions?

s12vea

I would put amp in the storage bins behind the seats. Nice and easy and close to rear bulkhead for running the power cable.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Bernie

Budget dependant JL 500/3 in the bin fits a treat

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

s12vea

Neat amp, looks tiny.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Bernie

Quote from: "s12vea"Neat amp, looks tiny.

Cheers Steve

Not cheap but great spec, only the best !

m http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/product/54216. ... _/XD5003v2 m
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

gazza1286

That does look neat. I suppose putting it on the side of the frunk bin would also mean wiring through two bulkheads which would be a pain.

The measurements for the Underdash sub box is the main concern. I'd like to work on tried and tested sizes as opposed to mocking up with guesstimates....

JoeCool

Definitely go in the rear bins. Battery location is ideal, there's a grommet there to put power through, easy peasy.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

cptspaulding

For safety's sake (EMC & all that) put it in the driver side bin. your ECU is under the passenger side.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

stargazer30

Quote from: "cptspaulding"For safety's sake (EMC & all that) put it in the driver side bin. your ECU is under the passenger side.

Yup a 8kg weight right behind the passenger's head   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  !  Same reason I cringe when I see mashoosvie subs between the seats too lol

Joking aside, its the best place as long as you take the bin out and bolt the little bugger in so it can't go anywhere in a crash.  Make sure your drains are clear first too!  You don't want your new shiny amp to get rinsed (literally)
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

gazza1286

Finally installed the subwoofer. An under dash (no pictures unfortunately) with a Lanzar 6.5 subwoofer. The amplifier is a Bassface Monoblock. Never had a sub before and I'm amazed at the difference. The sound is so much fuller. Kept the original stereo and used a signal adapter to get the RCA feeds for the amp

The remote control was fitted in the passenger well within easy reach

vx220

Do you have some measurements for the box?

gazza1286

This is what I should have used. Mine was 4" all round which made it a bit snug for the speaker. 5 3/4" might be a bit better for height as I had to trim the vanes on the panel under the steering wheel to re-fit it.

vx220

Mate, thank you so much!

Tags: