Bridgestone RE040 185/55/R15/V Replacements

Started by stavros58, March 27, 2016, 13:06

shnazzle

Quote from: "tricky1138"
Quote from: "stavros58"Hi Ardent thanks for the response and I think you are right about the tyres, I think I would prefer the Yoko's as well. The annoying thing is my rears have at least 5mm on them and my fronts won't go the distance seems like a waste of money but I really don't want to mix treads so the Falkens or Avons will probably be the choice as I have to buy 4. I'm sure ill be more than happy with the Falkens as a few people have said they are good tyres despite being budget tyres. Ive a bit of time anyway before I buy, before they are on the 1.6 limit besides I may win the Lotto and just buy a Mclaren  instead but tbh I would still keep the MR2  so id still need those tyres  s:D :D s:D

I suggest that you sell the rears and get a full set of something else.

If I hadn't of just bought some new rears I would have been interested. Going to be annoying when my fronts need replacing before my new rears wear down!   s:( :( s:(  

Oh well I may have a pair of part worn rears for sale in a years time!

Depending on when you changed your fronts, good chance the rears will go through another set before the fronts are dire  s:) :) s:)

This has been a very interesting thread! I applaud you Stavros for stepping out of the speculation circle and just getting the info from the horses' mouths.
Also interesting info on the differences introduced in the AD08R vs AD08.

Some extra info I can share on the AD08s... (not Rs), when they wear down to near/on the limit they become deadly. I didn't realise exactly how bad it was until I got new rears put on. I can't for the life of me get the back to kick out now, whereas before I was slipping all over the place. Almost every time I pulled out of an intersection to turn and wasn't incredibly  gentle on the throttle.
Basically, when you're near the wear indicator by 0.5mm or so, get them OFF!
...neutiquam erro.

puma2

well done stavros58  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
excellent work  and good to have the replies from the companies you emailed  s:) :) s:)

stavros58

Hi guys thanks for the positive comments one word of advice though don't take my word for it as one thing I have found is that specs on websites like Tyre shopper, Black Circles etc are not always accurate and even manufactures info can be incorrect or simply not available, it also depends on who you talk too. Technical department is always better than customer service especially if you get someone who's genuinely interested in their work, customer services all to often read from a script which can be misleading and inaccurate. e.g. Im still not sure about the Avon availability as the technical guy has said he wasn't sure the tyres were available yet as they are a brand new product but ATS is advertising them. When I questioned him on this he said it's often the case they haven't been updated on new products and as ATS is a major outlet for Avon that they may well have products in advance of anyone else.
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

Ardent

Another excellent post.
No fluff or nonsense. Solid honest post.

stavros58

Time came to fit some new tyres so I went ahead today and had fitted 4 Avon ZV7 16" at the rear 15" on the front replacing the Bridgestone tyres that are no longer available for the front, total cost £260 + tracking at £40, a lot cheaper than the previous Bridgestones. I'm not going to write up a review on what I think about grip  yet until I've had a few trips out and settled down with them, except to say they are a lot quieter and the ride appears more comfortable. They are rated A for wet grip and both size tyres are V speed rated whereas the Bridgestone were rated W for the rears and V for the front. I've had the car for nine years now and never had anything other than Bridgestone so I'm hoping these will be as good as I always found the Bridgestones reliable and predictable.  Has anyone else had the Avon's fitted ?
MR2 Chilli Red, final 300 production run for U.K. Hard Top, TTE twin pipes, Alacantra leather. Pre registered, no mods but  Brilliant! Favourite quote "I don\'t expect to know what is around the corner but I do at least expect to know where the corner is"

stavros58

Just to update earlier post the Avon ZV7 are turning out to be a really good tyre dry grip, ride and noise level excellent and now I have had some lovely British weather the wet tyre performance is excellent as well, I've also done a couple of emergency brake tests in wet and dry and the stopping and control was also excellent. At £250 for 4 tyres I'm very happy with the buy. Even if wear is an issue and I've no reason to suppose it will be, but if so at this price it's not a major expense.

billyw

Cheers for the update stavros58 , will follow you in on these very soon
2006 silver mr2 roadster

stavros58

Hi just make sure you get the tracking done as well as it always makes such a huge difference to the handling its another £40/50 but a false economy if you don't. I'm just hoping they will continue making these, but as they are a new design it should be fine hopefully.

stavros58

Hi just make sure you get the tracking done as well as it always makes such a huge difference to the handling its another £40/50 but a false economy if you don't. I'm just hoping they will continue making these, but as they are a new design it should be fine hopefully.

stavros58

I've done quite a few thousand miles on these now and tbh they are great I like them just as much as the Bridgestone Potenza that are no longer in stock, in fact probably more they are better in winter, quieter, excellent in the wet and grip in the dry. Wear is excellent as well so I really have nothing to complain about and lots to be positive about. I've never done a track day so have no experience and imagine Toyo's and Yoko's are better track tyres unless its raining then I would guess these would be the better option but as I have no experience of either the tyres mentioned or track days it is purely conjecture on my part.   For budget tyres for the correct offset 16 and 15 inch dimension at £250 for 4 tyres you cant go wrong, im just hoping they stay in production.

K T M Rider

Really appreciate the update as i think i'll be banging a set of ZV7s on before too long. Have always rated Avons whenever I've had them on cars or bikes before and apparently still made in  the UK too
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Ardent

Always good to read a long term review.

benjamino

Really useful thread - thanks. I asked my insurer about the V rating instead of W and they were happy. I couldn't decide between the ZV7s or the RainSport3s but went for the RainSports in the end. Fitting saturdsay so we'll see how they handle this wet. The very worn landsail things that I have on at the moment are sliding on roundabouts at very normal speeds now so hopefully I'll see an improvement on that!

Tags: