Broken Front Coil Springs

Started by buzzerbill, March 16, 2017, 16:59

buzzerbill

Purchased a full set of Toyo Proxes TR1 from Blackcircles and took my 02 PFL to tyre place to get them fitted. When jacked up, found that both front coil springs were broken. Car has been living under its cover over the winter and this has been the first time its turned a wheel in months!  I'm gonna have a go at replacing the springs myself - Anything I should watch out for? If someone could suggest the best order of things to do, I would appreciate it.
Got the new rubber fitted, but don't wanna try it out till springs are replaced.
cheers
Bill

wotugonado

---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Jon_G

I replaced my front pair in November, following an MoT fail. It's an easy job, but obviously a decent coil compressor will be needed. As well as the springs I also took the opportunity to replace the shock absorber gaitors which had fallen apart some years earlier... I bought the springs ('oem equivalent' Suplex) and gaitors (genuine Toyota) from TCB Parts. While the spring was removed I checked the operation of the shock absorber. The hydraulic flexi pipe clamp bolt was rusted solid into the bracket on both sides, resulting in the heads breaking off, but it's easy to drill the threaded part out once the assembly is off the car and replace it using a longer bolt and a nut during reassembly. At some point too much grease had been applied to one of the top bearings, which had run down into the rubber cup on top of the spring and caused it to swell and distort... I would have liked to replace it, but time was against me.

nadeemxb

I have some TTE springs that I've just taken off to fit my coilovers if you're interested. Only done about 500miles on them so they look brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

disssoof

Without wanting to be too presumptuous...
If the OP doesnt want them I may be interested as my OEM springs were an advisory at the last MOT..
If this breaks any 'rules' I apologies.

buzzerbill

Nadeembx - thanks for the offer mate but I already got the new springs.

buzzerbill

Wotugonado - thanks for the link - looks just the job!

JoeCool

It's not too bad a job, but you do need a way to hold the damper rod as you undo the top nut. You also need spring compressors, it's lethal trying to bodge it.

Basically:
Jack and support car safely
Remove wheels
remove under bonnet trim (trim clips X many)
Undo 19mm Strut bracket/hub knuckle bolts X2 (Strongly recommend a good 19mm Spanner + a breaker bar and 6 sided socket for this)
Undo top nuts x3 on top mount (12mm under bonnet)
Remove strut
Commpress spring.
Fnd flats on damper rod to hold it from spining. Undo top nut on damper rod.
Pull top mount off damper rod.
Remove compressed spring like a UXB and slowly decompress it.
Compress replacement spring.
Refit replacement spring, redo top nut.

Refitting is reverse of removal.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

wotugonado

Quote from: "buzzerbill"Wotugonado - thanks for the link - looks just the job!
No worries, it's not to difficult a job with that guide. There's a how to section on the forum with good guides for loads of common tasks and lots of good members on here to give you any more advice if needed.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Tags: