Drain Pockets?

Started by Enjay, March 12, 2018, 16:57

Enjay

I'm getting ready for a road trip to Swansea next month to get a new hood.  Jack Smith is recommending that I get new "drain pockets" and bring them down so that he can fit everything at the same time.  Problem is, I'm having difficulty tracking down exactly what I need.

I've had a hood off before so I know that there is an elaborate system of aprons guiding water down into drain tubes - is that what we're talking about?

Anyone able to enlighten me and, even better, give me part numbers or a likely supplier.  I assume Toyota but given the age of our cars maybe they no longer supply them?  I did try the local dealer by 'phone and the person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.

Enjay

I assume that we are talking about these:

(from https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=39665.0 ) but, like I said, my local Mr T doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.  A part number might help him. (Or an alternative source, if there is one.)

Thanks. :)

Enjay

Sorry for spamming my own thread, I'm picking up that Toyota may refer to the parts as "Side Gate Seals".

These?

https://parts.villagetoyota.com/products/TOYOTA/MR2/SEAL--SIDE-GATE/2195384/6567917011.html
https://parts.villagetoyota.com/products/TOYOTA/MR2/SEAL--SIDE-GATE/2195394/6568917011.html

If so, all I need to do now is find someone in the UK who can deliver to me (or Swansea) by next month.

Treboeth

It may be worth you checking with D!ck Sloan or Dean Rozier on Facebook as they may have a decent pair from one of their breakers.

SteveJ

Slightly better picture here - http://toyotamarket.ru/eu/211230/011/3/7910/1/ shows the part in-context and suggests you might have the right bit

StuC

Dean (RutlandMR2) supplied these to Steve@D1 when he changed my hood.
The funnel which lead to the drain had become unbonded. Thi directed any roof water straight under the bins and onwards to the passenger footwell.

I'd agree that if the hood needs changing these do too. I'll see if I can dig out my picture.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

StuC

URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Enjay

My wife managed to speak to someone else at MrT today.  They had heard of drain pockets and with a little help from the part numbers from the pages I linked to, I think we've identified the right parts and I should have them by the end of the week.

Looks right to me. £64 plus pennies each.  So adds about £130 to the price of the roof but it's worth doing when the roof is coming off anyway.

Thanks all for the input.  If MrT hadn't come through, I would have tried Dick or Dean.

Enjay

Drain pockets arrived today.  They certainly look right based on the last time I had my roof off and looked at stuff properly, so here's hoping.

dick2ski

Side gate seals, or Seals, Side Gate. Where they got that name I have no idea! Maybe a duff translation form Japanese, like Camber bolts! If it hasn't been done before, Id be happy to to a guide on removal/refitting the softtop.

shnazzle

Quote from: dick2ski on February  1, 2019, 16:02
Side gate seals, or Seals, Side Gate. Where they got that name I have no idea! Maybe a duff translation form Japanese, like Camber bolts!
The camber bolts thing drives me nuts.
...neutiquam erro.

B_Tank88

Quote from: Enjay on March 12, 2018, 16:57
I'm getting ready for a road trip to Swansea next month to get a new hood.  Jack Smith is recommending that I get new "drain pockets" and bring them down so that he can fit everything at the same time.  Problem is, I'm having difficulty tracking down exactly what I need.

I've had a hood off before so I know that there is an elaborate system of aprons guiding water down into drain tubes - is that what we're talking about?

Anyone able to enlighten me and, even better, give me part numbers or a likely supplier.  I assume Toyota but given the age of our cars maybe they no longer supply them?  I did try the local dealer by 'phone and the person I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.

I have been advised the exact same, but I'd like to try and check the condition of mine first before I commit another 130 pounds for replacement. Did you check the condition of yours first? Jack mentioned to be I can take out some side covers from the storage area behind the seats and check from there..
2004 MR2 Roadster Sable/Red<br />2005 Corsa 1.2<br />2003 E46 M3 Coupe SMG

Gibla

Can either the op. or indeed anyone else confirm Drain channels/pockets part # or tips - guidlines to availability in general.

I have had the 'water sloshing about behind the lughole syndrome' just recently on my standard black car and really must tackle this asap.
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Gaz mr-s

A drain may or may not be blocked....google how to clear if you don't know already.
You could have a split drain bag, or the fabric has seperated from the plastic tube at the bottom.

What you've most likely also got is a blocked secondary drain. Remove the seats. Remove the plastic bins. Underneath them in the metal each side is a round black rubber piece, which is actually a 6 inch long rubber pipe which is stupidly narrow & silts-up. You can try using a cable tie to try to clear, or a pair of pliers & haul the things out & throw away. The way they sit proud means that any water in there can't fully drain away, getting rid of them solves that.

Also......if you can actually hear water sloshing, it may have overflown & got under the carpet. The sound deadening soaks it up.  You won't be able to tell until you lift the carpet.   Remedy for that is either carpet fully out (1-piece) or raise it up & a de-humidifier for  xx days.

Tags: