Double Din HU and Air/Heater control positions

Started by delhusband, June 1, 2018, 21:16

delhusband

Without either wishing, or being able to, rip my car apart before Ding Day - Is it possible to swap the positions of the heater control panel and a double din head unit?
I appreciate there might be mechanical linkages for the air recirculation and heated air direction.
Seems to me a head unit would be better where the heater controls are and vice versa - particularly if it's a full touch screen head unit.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June  1, 2018, 21:16
Without either wishing, or being able to, rip my car apart before Ding Day - Is it possible to swap the positions of the heater control panel and a double din head unit?
I appreciate there might be mechanical linkages for the air recirculation and heated air direction.
Seems to me a head unit would be better where the heater controls are and vice versa - particularly if it's a full touch screen head unit.
I would imagine a Navpod in the top cubby world be an easier approach.? I know Perry Byrne's orange car had two screens in the centre and the heater controls moved around but I bet it took some fettling. If you've ever had the heater panel off it's quite involved behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  1, 2018, 21:20
Quote from: delhusband on June  1, 2018, 21:16
I would imagine a Navpod in the top cubby world be an easier approach.? I know Perry Byrne's orange car had two screens in the centre and the heater controls moved around but I bet it took some fettling. If you've ever had the heater panel off it's quite involved behind it.
Never had the heater panel off (really want to now!) but yeah I imagined it might be a bit "fixed" in there due to the nature of the controls.  I'm such a short arse that even the top pod is a bit of a stretch for my wee arms, although agree it's better than looking at the floor at 90 70
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

The double din unit in mine is a lovely piece of kit but like you say the position and led screen make it nigh on impossible to read with the top down and it's a stretch for me with my Abe Sapien arms!

StuC

The directional knob is a cable linked doofer. Linked to the hvac unit behind the dash.
The fan speed is a rotary switch (from memory).
The temperature is also a cable. Again linked to the hvac.

As CTM pointed out, it has been moved by an ingenious owner previously. Perhaps have an ask of someone like @Loadswine if he ever saw it or remembers how it was done.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Call the midlife!

Quote from: StuC on June  1, 2018, 21:28
The directional knob is a cable linked doofer. Linked to the hvac unit behind the dash.
The fan speed is a rotary switch (from memory).
The temperature is also a cable. Again linked to the hvac.

As CTM pointed out, it has been moved by an ingenious owner previously. Perhaps have an ask of someone like @Loadswine if he ever saw it or remembers how it was done.
I wonder if thats why you can only see two dials on the orange car, those being the cabled ones?

StuC

They have a fixed length. So in theory they can be put anywhere within the radius of the cables. Think Perry had one on the glove box area IIRC.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: StuC on June  1, 2018, 21:57
They have a fixed length. So in theory they can be put anywhere within the radius of the cables. Think Perry had one on the glove box area IIRC.

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

StuC

@Call the midlife!
I had never noticed before that the temperature and direction have switched sides.
Not sure where the fan speed is. Could be a completely different type of switch in fairness.

Interesting to see how the cable works with the glovebox operation, for the temperature knob.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: StuC on June  1, 2018, 22:10
@Call the midlife!
I had never noticed before that the temperature and direction have switched sides.
Not sure where the fan speed is. Could be a completely different type of switch in fairness.

Interesting to see how the cable works with the glovebox operation, for the temperature knob.
I would imagine the fan speed is a simple rheostat so wouldn't take as much imagineering as the rest?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June  1, 2018, 22:07
Thats quite awesome that
Get cracking then![emoji23]

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  1, 2018, 22:13
Thats quite awesome that
If the cables stretch that far (glovebox and other side) they must be able to go below then? also, maybe possible to get another type of cable? (I'm thinking about the kind on my telescope that move it around) - Fab up a plate / cut out.  I'm up for giving this a go at some point
Hate pointy animals

StuC

That's the spirit Del. Get on it my son!! ;)

delhusband

Quote from: StuC on June  1, 2018, 22:18
That's the spirit Del. Get on it my son!! ;)
Pictures of epic-failness (like most of my ride thread) shall follow! ;D
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on June  1, 2018, 22:14
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June  1, 2018, 22:13
Thats quite awesome that
If the cables stretch that far (glovebox and other side) they must be able to go below then? also, maybe possible to get another type of cable? (I'm thinking about the kind on my telescope that move it around) - Fab up a plate / cut out.  I'm up for giving this a go at some point
Probably a flexi-spring more than a cable, used to have them as control cables on print machines, just a bit prone to twisting up.

Tags: