Issue with from suspension HELP

Started by ilovejapcrap, July 21, 2018, 09:33

ilovejapcrap

Hello all I have two new top mounts for front suspension.

They look a little different to old bit deeper so surely the shock will sit lower ?

What do we all think ?

The new one is a japanparts part

Also new gator and bump stop is very different was it changed on newer models ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovejapcrap

Hello all no one has had time to reply but think I've sorted it.

Soooo

In the picture below you will see an original top mount

Then a rubber washer , this protects the top mount bearing as it's open and gives the next part something to sit on

The next part is a cup that holds a large rubber

You then have large rubber the spring sits in

For the new assembly I have used a new top mount of slight different design by japanparts

I've dumped the rubber washer as it's a sealed bearing

The cup sits nice against the sealed bearing and turns well / free etc

Finally the rubber / bump stop from an eBay seller although looks very different fits nice and looks right.

With this the most chamfered of the bump end should face down

Ardent

I could provide an exploded view of the parts if its helps.
Take it you didn't forget to prime the shocks before assembling.
Easy to forget shen mind on getting bits together

ilovejapcrap

Uhmm prime the shocks ?

frogger

I did this job recently and encountered all the same queries as you...  only thing I wished I had done is had new 'cups' too, as they were the only reused part in the end.

Priming is not necessary, so don't worry, see here for info https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/07/02/tech-101-the-hows-and-whys-of-priming-your-shocks/

ilovejapcrap

I'm same with cups put rusty ones back on very upsetting for my OCD [emoji22]

Ardent

So not necessary, but better if you do.
And illustrates such in fitting instructions.
But good to know will sort itself out in time.

Bossworld

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on July 21, 2018, 10:24
Hello all no one has had time to reply but think I've sorted it.

Soooo

In the picture below you will see an original top mount

Then a rubber washer , this protects the top mount bearing as it's open and gives the next part something to sit on

The next part is a cup that holds a large rubber

You then have large rubber the spring sits in

For the new assembly I have used a new top mount of slight different design by japanparts

I've dumped the rubber washer as it's a sealed bearing

The cup sits nice against the sealed bearing and turns well / free etc

Finally the rubber / bump stop from an eBay seller although looks very different fits nice and looks right.

With this the most chamfered of the bump end should face down

Hey, about to swap out some top mounts onto some second hand struts I purchased and I've got the Japanparts top mounts to fit.  Did you experience any longer-term issues skipping out the rubber washer?

Unsure what condition the ones on these struts are in so giving some consideration to keeping it there if they're in servicable condition, or is there genuinely no point?

ilovejapcrap

as a matter of fact yes i have got an issue, only found yesterday.

the spring looks to have eaten the rubber mount holding spring at top, my first impression is top mount is not turning so it chewed up the rubber.

why do you ask? do you have same issue ?

Bossworld

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 16, 2019, 07:43

the spring looks to have eaten the rubber mount holding spring at top, my first impression is top mount is not turning so it chewed up the rubber.

I've got some second hand struts that have covered far fewer miles (15k) than the top mounts they're attached to (65k) at the moment.

I've also got a pair of the same Japanparts top mounts to go on but was wondering whether to add the dust seals or not as I remembered seeing this post.

That's a shame you've had problems, my original top mounts (135k) were dry but after repacking with grease haven't caused any issues. Just seemed a good idea to put these new ones on while I've got the suspension in pieces but now I'm not sure  :-\

Bossworld

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 16, 2019, 07:43

Coming back to this.  I've disassembled and reassembled so understand it all a bit better now.

The top cup has a pair of flats that sit in position on top of the piston nut, so for the rubber to get chewed up something's gone badly wrong.

I have refitted the rubber washer/seal even though the bearing is a sealed unit.

I need to torque them up to spec, and obviously they're new so will likely be tougher than the originals, but they're not as free and easy to spin around as the ones that were fitted.  Dunno if it's just something that loosens up with use.  I put a couple of dabs of grease on but presumably there's no point packing the area out if it's a sealed bearing?

Tags: