Replacement Key Fob From Rutland MR2

Started by je72, July 23, 2018, 13:29

je72

Hello all,

My 2 came with only one transponder key and the valet key. It's been bothering me not having a backup key that could also disable the immobiliser. So I pucheased the very reasonably priced key fob and replacement transponder set from Rutland MR2 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123259389937?ViewItem=&item=123259389937

It arrived last Thursday and I immediately tootled off to get the spare cut, (only cost a fiver) tried it in the car and it would only insert about 2/3rds of the way into the ignition barrel, I tried it in the other locks and it was worse, say about 1cm. Took it back and asked him to polish a bit more and he reluctantly did, it helped a bit, maybe went in a fraction further, but still nowhere near. Went back to the key cut place and they said that the thickness at the end of the key was different (he only eyeballed it though) and to be fair, to the eye, the new one looks slightly thicker. So I got it home and tried the digital calipers and yes the tip of my old key is 0.1 - 0.2 mm thinner. I dropped MR2 rutland a message and credit to them they sent me a replacement blade with no quibble what so ever.

The replacement arrived today and it measures the same as the other replacement one, and it won't go in the lock. Although I have no idea if that's due to it not being cut yet, my theory is that it should insert fully, but not turn the barrel? I'm reluctant to spend another £5 getting it cut if it won't work again.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?
Lagoon Blue | FL | Almost dingless after DD2018 | Rear Calipers Aug 2018 | Clutch and Gearbox Oil Change Sept 2018

Carolyn

A decent locksmith would take a flat file to the key and make it the correct thickness.

A craz lady mechanic might do just the same.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

je72

Quote from: Carolyn on July 23, 2018, 14:16
A decent locksmith would take a flat file to the key and make it the correct thickness.

A craz lady mechanic might do just the same.

I forgot that part out of my story, I had already had a little fettle with the key and a file. But as I now have a "spare" spare, I went at the one that had already been cut a little more adventurously. I kept trying it, filing it, trying it until the new one is actually now 0.3mm thinner than the original key. But it still doesn't fit any further in the ignition and won't go anywhere near the door lock which would be less worn and less forgiving of tolerances.

Maybe I could just source a better quality key fob/blank and transfer this transponder into it. It'll still work out cheaper than going to Mr T or any of the other places I checked online. Does anyone know a good supplier of good quality blanks?
Lagoon Blue | FL | Almost dingless after DD2018 | Rear Calipers Aug 2018 | Clutch and Gearbox Oil Change Sept 2018

BahnStormer

We covered this in depth on the Security part of the forum recently...

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=62660.0

Are you sure it is a TOY41 blade that they're supplying?

I just got two of these for <£6 incl postage from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/irenetanghu

Then £5 per blade for cutting at a market stall.

Only real problem I had was coding as the first fob I got was a dud.

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

There's a Nottingham based locksmith that cuts Toyota keys to code, for about £13 each or even cheaper as/when they're advertising on eBay.  My first ones didn't work great, got sent another set which were absolutely spot on.

EDIT - Look I know this buy it now is TOY43 but the same guy definitely did my TOY41s so I would try and message them.  For the price, I personally can't see the mileage in trying to get a cobbler to do it by hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-replacement-two-button-remote-key-case-Cut-to-code-or-picture-TOY43/222139880084?epid=859699772&hash=item33b8919294:g:8EcAAOSwPoJZ4Xjy

je72

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 23, 2018, 15:54
We covered this in depth on the Security part of the forum recently...

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=62660.0

Are you sure it is a TOY41 blade that they're supplying?

I just got two of these for <£6 incl postage from eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/irenetanghu

Then £5 per blade for cutting at a market stall.

Only real problem I had was coding as the first fob I got was a dud.

Hi Bahnstormer, yes I read that post beforehand and yup it's definitely a TOY41 (edit but for some inexplicable reason all of that had slipped my memory while I posted my message, I'm probably still reeling from my month long intermittent starting problem :) ). The listing on ebay from Rutland MR2 doesn't specify TOY41 in description but it does say for MR2 Roadster. When I contacted them about the 1st one not fitting, I asked if they've had any problems and they said they have sold loads with no problems, so  :-\ unsure why the two they's sent me won't fit. Anyway I've now ordered a replacement key with "cut to code" for only £8 delivered from the ebay guys in Nottingham. If this new spare fits then I'll combine it with the transponder from Rutland and I'll still have managed to get a new key with transponder for less than MrT. I've also asked if Rutland MR2 wanted to make some kind of gesture as I've ended up with 2 incompatible blanks and I've had to buy a 3rd.

Quote from: Bossworld on July 23, 2018, 17:29
There's a Nottingham based locksmith that cuts Toyota keys to code, for about £13 each or even cheaper as/when they're advertising on eBay.  My first ones didn't work great, got sent another set which were absolutely spot on.

EDIT - Look I know this buy it now is TOY43 but the same guy definitely did my TOY41s so I would try and message them.  For the price, I personally can't see the mileage in trying to get a cobbler to do it by hand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-replacement-two-button-remote-key-case-Cut-to-code-or-picture-TOY43/222139880084?epid=859699772&hash=item33b8919294:g:8EcAAOSwPoJZ4Xjy

(edit I'd bashed my reply out before seeing you'd pretty much said all the following :) ) Spot on @Bossworld I had actually messaged these guys previously but then dropped it as I needed a transponder too. This is the listing for the guy that does them for £8.00 cut to code. IMPORTANT the listing specifies TOY43 but I emailed the seller beforehand to ask if they could do a TOY41 and they said yes and that it was ok to use that listing, however if anyone finds this post in the future, I suggest you make contact prior to buying to make sure they understand that that you need a TOY41 blade. For some reason at the time of writing, they don't have a listing for a TOY41 blade/MR2  :-\ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-replacement-two-button-remote-key-case-Cut-code-picture-TOY43-/222139880084?hash=item33b8919294

normanh

Had the same problem a couple of weeks back and posted the issue - the slot in the fleabay keys even though branded as a TOY41 is too small, I filed it out with a rifle/needle file and gave it, it just unlocked the door wouldnt lock and wouldnt turn in the ignition. Cost £2.88 came with a battery and membrane plus micro switches so wasnt the end of the world as all I wanted was the back part of the case.

Norman

je72

Rutland MR2 gave me a discretionary £4 refund, which considering they'd already tried to help by sending me a replacement spare (which is unuseable) I think is very fair indeed. Even though the blades ended up being no good I can't fault their service.

je72

Quote from: normanh on July 23, 2018, 19:28
Had the same problem a couple of weeks back and posted the issue - the slot in the fleabay keys even though branded as a TOY41 is too small, I filed it out with a rifle/needle file and gave it, it just unlocked the door wouldnt lock and wouldnt turn in the ignition. Cost £2.88 came with a battery and membrane plus micro switches so wasnt the end of the world as all I wanted was the back part of the case.

Norman

So that's two of us who've had problems with ebay keys that are supposedly the correct spec (TOT41)

Your description of the groove being too narrow is exactly the same problem I had.

Ozzy

I had the same issue with a new uncut key from Rutland few months ago aswell.

They send me the wrong type of blade, which is whats happened to you. You've accidently been given a blade for a gen7 Celica, not MRr2. The blade for a Celica is slightly thicker and wider. Can't blame them I guess since they look so similar.

Mine was other way round though. I wanted one for a Celica but got given one for an MR2 instead lol. Atleast you got a replacement blade and later a small refund which I didn't. Ended up removing the transponder and throwing rest away. Did a flip key conversion instead.

je72

Quote from: ossy on July 25, 2018, 02:06
I had the same issue with a new uncut key from Rutland few months ago aswell.

They send me the wrong type of blade, which is whats happened to you. You've accidently been given a blade for a gen7 Celica, not MRr2. The blade for a Celica is slightly thicker and wider. Can't blame them I guess since they look so similar.

Mine was other way round though. I wanted one for a Celica but got given one for an MR2 instead lol. Atleast you got a replacement blade and later a small refund which I didn't. Ended up removing the transponder and throwing rest away. Did a flip key conversion instead.

I want a flip key! I watched tha spiderlee video on the utubes, and thought NOPE! I aint using my only working key as a template anywhere near a dremel  :))

Did you let Rutland know @ossy ? I'm only asking as 1, they said they'd never had problems before and 2,if you didn't they might carry on thinking I was a "one off" and not investigate the problem properly. Then again, you made use of it so, let sleeping dogs lie :D

Ozzy

Quote from: je72 on July 25, 2018, 10:07
I want a flip key! I watched tha spiderlee video on the utubes, and thought NOPE! I aint using my only working key as a template anywhere near a dremel  :))

Did you let Rutland know @ossy ? I'm only asking as 1, they said they'd never had problems before and 2,if you didn't they might carry on thinking I was a "one off" and not investigate the problem properly. Then again, you made use of it so, let sleeping dogs lie :D

To be honest, it was very easy to swap transponder over. Took like 2 minutes, if that, but no dremel was needed. I believe that's only if you're re-using your old blade.
I got the flip key with a new blade for £4.50 and paid £5 to have it cut.

Also, I told Rutland about the key and they weren't much help. Was my first dealing with them and wasn't impressed at all. The blade was wrong and fob was all scratched up. Told me to just buy a new one off ebay and the instructions to pair it didn't work either. Ended up looking at youtube tutorials to do it instead which worked but methods were completely different  :-\  They assured me the key would be correct before buying and stuff but oh well.

BahnStormer

Quote from: ossy on July 25, 2018, 12:42
I got the flip key with a new blade for £4.50 and paid £5 to have it cut.

@ossy where did you get the flip-key with a TOY41 blade? I think that is the part that people struggle with.... the dremel approach is required if your flipkey has a different blade, you then need to dremel the old blade and swap that into the flipkey case.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Ozzy

Got the key and blade together as a pair off Ebay.

I just had a quick look and unfortunatly can't find any listed anymore... I've tried going back though my ebay purchase history to find the seller as well but the listing is greyed out as it's too old and can't click on it anymore :/

Might be worth trying and messaging some of the sellers and asking if they do the flipkeys with a toy41 blade. Sometimes the listings expire and they forget to put them up again.

normanh

I wouldnt bother mate seems everyone thats bought a TOY41 key has ended with grief, I spent a good hour gently and carefully filing out the slot to no avail. Its very likely they all come from the same source in China.

Nrman

je72

Well my £8 cut to code Toy41 blade arrived today from the Nottingham locksmith people that got mentioned earlier and it is perfect! So I've swapped over the transponder from the incompatible Rutland one and have now just got to do the dance. But the blade it looks EXACTLY like the stock one, the fob is cheapo plastic and not as good as the OEM part but it's going to be my backup so that's fine.

BahnStormer

Quote from: normanh on July 26, 2018, 19:20
I wouldnt bother mate seems everyone thats bought a TOY41 key has ended with grief

Just checking that you realise that "Toy41" isn't a brand name - it's the Toyota type 41 key/blade shape that fits an MR2 Roadster door/ignition... so we're all got Toy41's.... just some people have Toyota versions that came with the car, others have overpriced Timpson copies or others have a variety of eBay knock-offs.... and now it would see that somebody has put Toy41's on a flipkey.

Mine isn't a flipkey, but it's a very cheap eBay Toy41 knock-off (<£6 for two). Initially the locksmith was a little wary: said he didn't mind looking at the key, but reserved the right to decline - then said it looked good quality and was happy to work with it. I use that instead of my original as it looks cleaner and smarter (plus debadged), I doubt it'll look as good as the OEM one in 10 years time, but it looks pretty smart for now!

I take the point that the Toy41 flipkeys are probably all from the same sound in China though, so you're right - probably all prone to the same engineering fault for the next few years until they redo the stock :(

je72

Just done the door dance to pair the remote entry/alarm! Took a few goes, but got there in the end. Then I did the brake pedal and accelerator dance to pair the immobiliser and that worked 1st time!

So I got a working key, programmed and paired for £8 (Nottingham locksmiths) + £23 - £4 (Rutland) = £27 I'm pretty pleased with that considering the local independent auto locksmith wanted £120!!

Also I tried the "dance" that was supplied with the Rutland key and it's "almost" correct but there is a couple of things that you have to do in the correct timing, which isn't mentioned in the rutland instructions also if it didn't work at the stage where you press and hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 1- 2 seconds and then the lock button for 2 seconds, the car will cycle lock and unlock to tell you, you don't have to start all over again from the 1st step, you only have to go back to the simultaneous lock and unlock button press and try again. That part took me about 7 attempts to get the lock to work and when it did, I did a real dance! :D

These are the instructions I followed for my 2003  - https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/126549-programming-new-remote-locking-fob/

BahnStormer

I know same here...

QuoteTotal cost: ~£27 (blade, cutting, fob).

as per previous thread: HERE

Tags: