Front lower control arms (LCA) bushes

Started by frogger, August 18, 2018, 11:42

frogger

Has anyone refurbished their front lower control arms with new bushes?

Achievable with clamps and hammers, or proper press required?

It's quite expensive to buy new arms, but only £55 for the bushes.

Carolyn

I bought a pair from the states for not much more than bushes.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Carolyn

Mr X

Quote from: Carolyn on August 18, 2018, 11:51
I know it says 'Scion' but they are identical!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Lower-Control-Arm-Left-LH-Right-RH-Pair-Set-for-MR2-Scion-xA-xB-/351007624127?hash=item51b9af4bbf

I did the same. I brought the bushes and then saw these arms. I ordered them and they were delivered in just under a week and fitted perfectly. I was going to strip the old arms but ended up just chucking them.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

dan944

Not to hijack the thread but I have brand new arms and bushes to go on but want to replace with polybushes that I have.

Is there a method to swap the bushes without a press?
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Ardent

Seriously fancy a set of those arms. But if the front had fresh, the rear would need fresh. That then becomes expensive for the same reason. You cannot just get fresh stock rubber bushes.

And i dont want poly.

Call the midlife!

I bought the same ones from the states when I saw the price and they're on the shelf for future use, apparently the same year Yaris ones now fit and can be had for £35 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

frogger

Sold!   Thanks, glad I asked.

Now to hope I don't get stung on any import duty.

frogger

Oh... you pre-pay import duty at the checkout :( damn.  If I'd known last week I'd have picked them up in the USA and save $50

McMr2

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 18, 2018, 14:37
I bought the same ones from the states when I saw the price and they're on the shelf for future use, apparently the same year Yaris ones now fit and can be had for £35 ...

Is this the case? Either a well kept secret or there must be some differences, otherwise why would the mr2 ones command such a premium?
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Call the midlife!

Quote from: McMr2 on August 21, 2018, 13:28
Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 18, 2018, 14:37

Is this the case? Either a well kept secret or there must be some differences, otherwise why would the mr2 ones command such a premium?
It's oft quoted on the Facebook group by at least one long time owner and dismantler of 2s.

Carolyn

Not so sure about the Yaris ones.

The Scion ones are definitely the same.  I've got a pair and they do match up.

I've downloaded pictures of all three and can't see a difference

J03

Just to add, I ordered similar items a few year back, albeit Blueprint branded. When they arrived they had Blueprint stickers pasted over Toyota OEM stickers.
If that doesn't tell you how much mark up they put on parts, I don't know what does!

The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on August 21, 2018, 14:01
Not so sure about the Yaris ones.

The Scion ones are definitely the same.  I've got a pair and they do match up.

I've downloaded pictures of all three and can't see a difference
Maybe a slightly different pressing but the orientation all looks the same, it was Dongle Sloan that I first saw mention it. More or less after I'd just got the ones from the States...

Bossworld

I couldn't find anyone that had actually fitted the Yaris ones.  That was the hard stop on it for me.

The danger of a fast moving page like Facebook is that it's more difficult to search for things and stuff quickly becomes apocryphal.

Ardent

There must be part numbers somewhere.
My concern is more about if the rubber has different ratings on diff cars.
This could be real or imagined of course.

dan944

Quote from: Ardent on August 21, 2018, 16:59
There must be part numbers somewhere.
My concern is more about if the rubber has different ratings on diff cars.
This could be real or imagined of course.
This was my only concern but I'm replacing with polybush anyway.

I asked on the fb as a confirmation and at least two people said they had fitted them.
But you are correct. If one person on this club had said it m, it would hold much more weight and at least be documented properly.

dan944

Just a note. Go on mr2 fb page and search for Yaris. You'll find the confirmation on there.

Joesson

For what it's worth the photo of the Yaris arm differs from the Scion and MR 2 photos in the area of the "conical" bush the metal is formed differently.
This would mean that at least two types of arms were produced. Other differences would need to be seen / measured to determine.

Bossworld

Quote from: dan944 on August 21, 2018, 17:03
Just a note. Go on mr2 fb page and search for Yaris. You'll find the confirmation on there.

There's a post from 2016 saying that there are two types for Yaris, and another poster in the same thread saying they're not the same but very similar.

I hasten to add I've nothing against different sites but I just couldn't find a conclusive 'yes I've done it' back in May 2017. If someone has done it since then happy days as they're a considerable saving even over the import Scion ones.

Edit: Idiot me was the last replier in the thread from earlier this year where the two people said they did work   ::)

dan944

Quote from: Bossworld on August 21, 2018, 18:08

There's a post from 2016 saying that there are two types for Yaris, and another poster in the same thread saying they're not the same but very similar.

I hasten to add I've nothing against different sites but I just couldn't find a conclusive 'yes I've done it' back in May 2017. If someone has done it since then happy days as they're a considerable saving even over the import Scion ones.

That's the problem with the fb page I think. It's hard to pinpoint what you need at the time you need it.

16th of may this year was the post I referred to. Little after you needed the advice unfortunately:(.

I was willing to take the punt for £45 or whatever I paid. The same as my £44 pair shocks :)

dan944

That's the problem with the fb page I think. It's hard to pinpoint what you need at the time you need it.

16th of may this year was the post I referred to. Little after you needed the advice unfortunately:(.

I was willing to take the punt for £45 or whatever I paid. The same as my £44 pair shocks :)

Bossworld

Quote from: dan944 on August 21, 2018, 18:12

I just searched for it after you referenced it and I was the last person to reply in the 2018 one lol. Back to sleep for me

dan944

ilovejapcrap

Hello all.

I may need some of these.

What cheapest I can get and where ?

Tags: