Power Steering Fluid

Started by paulj, October 6, 2019, 19:06

paulj

I have managed to answer most of my questions relating to a problem I have - whining PS pump.  My fluid is well past its best so I am going to start with a flush through.

Ive spotted that the Ravenol EPSF seems to be a good replacement for the OEM but.....

one question remains - HOW MUCH DO I NEED?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I have missed it somewhere!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

ManInDandism

I recently had my power steering pipes changed by a local garage (corroded and leaking).  I supplied both the pipes and the fluid.  I bought 2 litres of the stuff and had a full unopened bottle returned which suggests that actual volume required is a litre or less (have the workshop manual but can't see this listed anywhere).

If I was doing a flush, would still err on the side of caution and go for 2 litres - you can't easily pick it up on the high street and don't want to be caught short...but at least you now know that 3 litres is probably overkill!

YouTube video of a chap doing a flush where incidentally he has also gone for 2 litres.

Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

furbern

I did a flush; needed 1 litre (bought 2 of course but Psod's Law says if you buy 1 you'll need 2). I don't think you can change it all, so it's good to have enough to do it again. I just disconnected the return hose and let the pump fill a can  while I poured fresh in, and the other half sawed the steering from lock to lock.

Turbotrucker

Total fluide da is also recommended. 1litre is enough to flush and fill.
2005 Sable grey Red edition,2zz by Rogue,Toyota GB skirts and spats.Markiii pipe+k&n Panel, Rogue manifold, Sports Cat,TTE Exhaust, TTE style bar, S2000 Seats, Mongo's;) Red Mohair Roof, Whiteline ARB's.

paulj

Thanks for your help, as always a great response from our community!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

cyclehead

My two cents - I'd avoid all Ravenol products after their sloppy applicability research caused the total destruction of my SMT hydraulic shifting system.   They said their GHA-F product was suitable for the spyder SMT system.  Wrong.  Their hydraulic oil is completely incompatible with the system.  It caused all the seals in the HPU and GSA to swell and destroyed both units.  They never paid for their mistake, and never even apologized.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

cyclehead

Just checking their websites, the jerks STILL have it incorrectly listed on the Australia website.  They've removed it from the Germany and US sites.You cannot view this attachment.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

ManInDandism

Quote from: cyclehead on October  8, 2019, 11:49My two cents - I'd avoid all Ravenol products after their sloppy applicability research caused the total destruction of my SMT hydraulic shifting system.   They said their GHA-F product was suitable for the spyder SMT system.  Wrong.  Their hydraulic oil is completely incompatible with the system.  It caused all the seals in the HPU and GSA to swell and destroyed both units.  They never paid for their mistake, and never even apologized.

@cyclehead - I did recollect reading the GHA-F thread/posts on the Spyderchat site (and have just been through them again and noticed that many are by you). Can only empathize. One would imagine that they take some sort of legal advice and won't admit culpability as would potentially leave themselves open to lots of claims.

Very understandably you are going to give all of their products wide berth, but I would have been on the site to check for the suitability of their PAS fluid which does actually get the all-clear.     
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Beachbum957

There has been considerable investigation and testing of alternatives to the Toyota power steering fluid for the MR2.  Ravenol E-PSF has been used by some, but the Nissan 999MP-EPSF00P seems to be an almost exact match for the Toyota fluid in all specs and has been used successfully by many.  They are about the same price in the US.

Tags: