Finally, brighter speedo LED bulbs that work!

Started by Ozzy, January 19, 2020, 22:22

onion86

Mine finally came today... need to add that to the ever increasing list of things to do!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Jonquirk

I got a set of these in white. After a short night drive I reverted to the tungsten bulbs in the indicator repeaters and the main beam warning as the leds were just too bright. I am very happy with the instrument illumination now.

househead

Quote from: Jonquirk on February 23, 2020, 23:29I got a set of these in white. After a short night drive I reverted to the tungsten bulbs in the indicator repeaters and the main beam warning as the leds were just too bright. I am very happy with the instrument illumination now.

Yep, I did the same. Those indicators would have sent me into a hypnotic trance!

Very happy also. Running it on maybe 25% full illumination for full-night driving, where before it was on 100%. Not had the pleasure of using it at dusk yet. That's more of a summertime thing.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Ozzy

Which bulb is it for the full beam? Mine's been blown for ages but thought it wasn't possible to change that without taking speedo apart?

Guess I must have missed it thinking it's indicator bulbs as I left them stock.

Jonquirk

There are ten bulbs. Three illuminate the speedo. There is a row of four in the middle. The outer ones illuminate the rev counter, the middle two are the indicator repeaters. Of the remaining three, two illuminate the ancilliary gauges and one is the main beam repeater. There is an unused bulb holder position, used on SMT cars only.

Bossworld

I've had my first dusk and nighttime run outs with these.  They are so much brighter than the LEDs I had previously (but in a usable fashion, and as others have said, the dimmer works fine too).

I'm running with a 300mm steering wheel so haven't noticed the indicator issues (mainly as they're blocked by the wheel) but may drop some of my original LEDs back into those slots so I've got a couple of the brighter ones as spares.

Tags: