Front suspension arm pin or bush worn

Started by MrChris, June 12, 2021, 14:32

MrChris

Hi all, my quest for a 2 continues this weekend. Going to potentially look at a car that has the following:

Nearside and Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush

How much of a problem is this given that I'm keen to refresh the suspension anyway. Not 100% on what this means so any help/pointers appreciated! Thank you

Gaz mr-s

Sounds like the lower arm bush. Some bushes can be replaced, not sure about that one. There is a model of Yaris that uses the same arm & is cheaper.  Different Yaris have different spec though....bush diameter....?....I've seen mention of 12 & 14mm. 

Dev

Both Superpro and Whiteline have these large front control arm  bushings in poly. They are not that hard to replace as long as you are mechanically inclined and can remove the control arms from the car.  Once removed you will need to cut out the rubber from  large bushing with a knife and then hacksaw though the casing to get it out. The new bushing can be positioned by using a bench clamp supported by a block of wood or tapped in using a plastic mallet.

Iain

You can buy the arms ready built up with new bushings, or replace with polybushes.

Certainly not a big thing to worry about. At the age of these cars now, (unless you're lucky to find one that has already had suspension work done) most bushes will be ready for replacement.

Carolyn

The a-arms are the 14 mm Yaris ones.  Best not to buy the cheapest on offer, as the rubber will probably be past its shelf-life.

My the time I've done the work to get the a-arms out- I'm too pooped to start re-bushing them!

I just put new ones in.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Alex Knight

Dev

virginpaul

Here from my previous post... Mr2 Mk3 Post Face Lift - Suspension Parts - Useful Info?

Front Wishbones
There's been alot of debate around the lounge about the suitability of these, but at the price, I took a punt!
Via Ebay at https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351007624127
TRQ Front Lower Control Arm Left LH & Right RH Pair Set for MR2 Scion xA xB
Unit Price $94.95  Shipping $33.67 Import Duty (at source) $31.23 Total $159 (at current exchange Rate £117.24

I obtained replacement bolts from Anayama (Japan) - bear in mind I purchased front and rear rods and all new bolts/nuts so was worth the shipping.

Wishbones with new bolts
IMG_5928 by virgin_pabs, on Flickr

I originally asked my garage owner mate to recover the old wishbones (for refurbishment by myself) and rods - as spares, but this was not possible as they had to be angle cut out.

hope that helps

Tags: