Leather Re-trim

Started by Anonymous, February 19, 2006, 13:17

Anonymous

Ok - got a red leather interior on this 2000 plate, which to be honest, has probably seen better days in some parts.  The top parts of the seats look a little washed out, prob just due to sun damage.  You can also notice on the drivers seat, where the previous owners have got in / out of the car, and scuffed the seat up a little.

Im interested in getting the 2 seats re-trimmed in leather, but before I go and investigate local people who might be able to do this, has anyone got a rough idea of how much this would cost.

I dont want to go and get a quote from someone, think to myself that its pretty reasonable, and then get the work done, only to find out later that i may of actually been ripped off.

Thanks

Anonymous

Anonymous

Excellent - thanks.

That sounds pretty reasonable.

heathstimpson

I'm surprised the leather is in such a poor state for a car still relatively young. Mine is coming up to three years old and the leather inetrior is mint. You must clean and moisturise the seats though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Yeah, I put it down to the previous owners.  I only bought the car in September last year, and even though they have kept the service on the car - mechanically it is sound, and bodywise its MINT.  Just looks like they enjoyed many, many, many occasions with the roof down, and the seats look a little sun bleached.   It may of also been a person of a slightly larger *cough* frame - than myself, and therefore had a bit of an issue getting in / out of the car - hence leaving scuff marks on the seat   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

alancdavis

I was told a company  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   called...Precision Trimming in Hudlesfield do a first class retrim
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

Cool - have you had any quotes from them ?

loadswine

I'm thinking of doing the same, got red cloth at the moment and want to get two tone leather/alcantara seats and have doors ,gearstick gaiter and steering wheel done.
I've sent off e-mails for a couple of quotes so far, and I'll do a bit of hunting around this week.
The companies that have been mentioned in past links look great, but if I can get a decent job done more locally, then I'll go for that.
I'll share any price info I get.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

im going to find out if any companies quite local to me can give me some quotes, and likewise, I will post prices from any of them for comparison.

alancdavis

I think precision charge around 4 to 5 ton  depending on finish  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

loadswine

Schaffino Leather have quoted £450 for just the seats and door panels in 2 tone leather. Sounds good for a start, but if I could get similar prices more locally, then that would be my first choice.
Colour wise, at the moment I fancy royal blue leather around the outside of the seats with a lighter blue alcantara centre section.
Still researching and thinking what other bits to have trimmed in what material. Don't want to go way overboard.

Rhonsmr2

Quote from: "loadswine"Schaffino Leather have quoted £450 for just the seats and door panels in 2 tone leather. Sounds good for a start, but if I could get similar prices more locally, then that would be my first choice.
Colour wise, at the moment I fancy royal blue leather around the outside of the seats with a lighter blue alcantara centre section.
Still researching and thinking what other bits to have trimmed in what material. Don't want to go way overboard.

I've just retrimmed a mk1 steering wheel - dont see it would be much different for any other.

loadswine

Hey Rhon, fancy doing my retrim?
That wheel must have been a challenge and looks a cracking job to me.
You might be able to advise on what's sensible to retrim and what is going to be OTT.
Do my colour and material choices sound sensible to you?

Rhonsmr2

Hi Nigel

Are you on email?  Can see what I can do for you  s:D :D s:D

Rhon

loadswine

PM sent Rhon.   s:D :D s:D

Rhonsmr2

You have email  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Is there any problem with the airbag??

Rhonsmr2

There must be a way of removing the centres of the wheels that have airbags, but I dont know how it works.  I must admit, that when it comes to the removal of anything like that then it would be up to the individual to do that before I had it as I would not like to take responsibility for anything going wrong.

Perhaps a search on the internet might shed some light onto it

Anonymous

Ok I'll ask a pro and let you know.
In the meanwhile, this weekend I'll upload some photos of my new seats (:

Anonymous

As promised, here is my car with a  yellow finish.
Just to add, that these are covers alcantara trim, specifically made for the MR2,  and not attached / glued on the main cloth.
It is a cheap way to change the interior, without worrying too much if you get bored of it, as price is only 110 Euros.

loadswine

Well I've found a guy to do all the bits for my retrim. Rhon was very helpful as well. I need to get the bits to Kings Lynn in Norfolk,
I am going for seats, door panels -armrest and doorpulls,steering wheel,gear gaiter, handbrake grip and console uprights(strut things each side at the bottom) . Quoted £675 for a leather/alcantara mix.
Might also get an armrest made as well.
A bit of a pain going up in the 2 and returning by train, so I was going to take all the bits off the 2 and take them up in my other car, to be trimmed there.
Any help gratefully received on:
removing handbrake lever,
any tips on removing steering wheel,
tips on door panel removal.
Have done a bit of searching and found details on the steering wheel and know how to get the console off, but tips from folks who have actually done these bits of dismantling are always helpful.
Also any idea where to get a cool gearknob, Stu's looked cool and I know others have some nice items.

Anonymous

QuoteJust to add, that these are covers alcantara trim, specifically made for the MR2, and not attached / glued on the main cloth.
It is a cheap way to change the interior, without worrying too much if you get bored of it, as price is only 110 Euros.

can you post details of where you got these?
thx

PET3R

my friend has a mk1 mx5 and he has been quoted £400 for leather seats, idk if they are new/ used or just a re trim though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "da monkey"
QuoteJust to add, that these are covers alcantara trim, specifically made for the MR2, and not attached / glued on the main cloth.

can you post details of where you got these?
thx

I'm afraid it's a local shop here in Athens - Greece.

You can choose any color you want.
There are different qualities though.
I bought the second best, cause yellow comes only in that quality.
There is a best quality for 10 euros more, makes it look like real leather, but not all colors are available.

If anyone is interested I may be able to ask for a better price and for send it directly to UK (recorded delivery). They are not heavy, so delivery would be only 10-15 Euros.

But to be honest, when you want to buy a cover, you should check it from  close distance, in order to touch it and feel it. I would not recommend buy cloth without touching it first, just in case it is not what you expected.

loadswine

Quote from: "PET3R"my friend has a mk1 mx5 and he has been quoted £400 for leather seats, idk if they are new/ used or just a re trim though.
Schaffino leather in Wolverhampton quoted £450 for 2 tone leather seat and door panel retrim.
Can anyone help on my earlier questions?

Tags: