Vibration from door panels

Started by zud, September 15, 2003, 08:34

zud

I've got the stock (Sony) headunit and Focal speakers, with nicely dynamat'd doors... and am very pleased with the results.  

BUT, I get some distortion when playing particularly basey tracks.  I only set the bass control to the first level, but usually play it reasonably loud as the roof is nearly always down.  I'm fairly sure its the door card itself that's vibrating, particularly the "pocket" next to the speaker.  If I put a finger on the middle of the pocket, the noise stops.  Anyone had the same, or got any good ideas/tips???
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Slacey

Funny you should mention this, as at the Midlands meet I had the cards off to apply some flashing tape to the inside of the card itself, as you said after Dynamatting the door skin all the vibration moves to the card - I applied two layers behind the cloth / leather instert, a long strip across the middle, a piece next to the speaker grille, and a piece at the back of the storage pocket.
You would not believe the difference.... it has made as much of an improvement as the original Dynamatting of the skin, it's well worth doing. It hasn't eliminated all of the rattles, but most have gone.   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Chris

yeah we all thought that buster has turned up, with the sight off sean whipping off his panels in double quick time like a pro!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "Chris"yeah we all thought that buster has turned up, with the sight off sean whipping off his panels in double quick time like a pro!!
I had a good teacher....   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

yeah sean was whaching like a hawk at JAE   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   and a quick learner

sean if you want a race at the next meet im sure we can get 2 people who want focals but i get comers tho LOL as i have already dnyomatted his   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

On the vibratinal side ware the pocket clicks into place on the door card itself on the door skin side dynomat the clips coming throught and then on the normall side (what you see in the car) put a small strip of dynomat around 3-4 mm wide on whare the pocket sits on the door card (of course on all 3 edges) this may push the pocket out a little but if you push the pocket very hard it will mould the DM to the shape of the door card and create a rattle proff surface   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Slacey still has much to learn   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   he could of answered it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

GSB

Quote from: "Buster"Slacey still has much to learn   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:    s:?: :?: s:?:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Dave, I bow to your (as Grant has pointed out) Yoda-like knowledge of all things ICE.
Still reckon I did OK though!
As for the race, well, I don't ever think I will beat the master, but hey, I'm up for a challenge!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

MRMike

Tried removing my door cards today, and I'm loathed to admit it but the buggers won't come off.  Removed all screws, and yet they seem to be attached in the middle of the door card.  Any tips on where there may be a hidden screw? Seems likely around the door pull.

Cheers
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

have you removed the plastic cup that teh door pull sits in?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Yes, I used flashing tape to line the inside of the door panel too, and it really does make a difference! I think I practically covered the inside surface with tape, mabye overkill.. but it worked!

Flashing tape is about a tenner for a big roll in B&Q... silver on one side, sticky tar-like substance on the back. Just enough to do both door panels, and also the door skins if you're too cheap to buy Dynamat like me!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"have you removed the plastic cup that the door pull sits in?

Nope..i tried prising them off, but thought that they would break if i did..any special way of removing them??

Cheers
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Slacey

Yes, there is, and they can be a right PITA - I used to use a screwdriver, but SteveJ showed me a neat trick - you need to lift a clip, one top, one bottom, both in the middle part of the holder. Slide a soft, flat piece of plastic in between the plastic holder and doorcard (a kitchen spatula is ideal) and lift the clip up, at the same time pull outwards slightly. When one is out, repeat at the other side.

Tags: