softtop scuff advice

Started by northernalex, April 16, 2006, 23:51

northernalex

Hi all, new to MR2 Roadster Owners Club (just bought my '2 two weeks ago) on a 52 plate with 18K on the clock.  Just noticed two small spots of wear/slight cracking or perishing on the outer softop.  I have a full manufacturers warrenty (something from Toyota used scheme).  Does any of you know if this would be covered by the warrenty, or of any way I could seal these blisters so they dont turn into full blown cracks.  Cheers all.  Alex. PS it seems like a great car! Real head turner.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

markiii

[ADMIN]

Moved to Maintenance from Appearance

[ADMIN]
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

You say it has a full toyota used car warrenty on it. Did you buy it as a Toyota approved used car from MR T?

If it is the extended toyota warranty not sure if it covers reasonable wear and tear (again depends on your definition of reasonable!)

In this case as you only bought it two weeks ago I would take it back to the dealership ASAP and point out the problem.
Definately worth a shout.

Anonymous

PS - With regards to maintaining the soft top remember it is a man made vinyl like material not fabric so it doesn't need to be fed or anything.

To keep the material supple and shining I use Autoglym vinyl and rubber cleaner (orange labeled spray gun), others use Autoglym bumper care.

There are kits on the market for repairing scuffs and tears in vinyl roofs but I have no experience of their quality - I'd imagine it would be a professional job if you wanted a good finish.

northernalex

yeah I bought it as part of an approved user scheme. Good idea - I will point it out when i pop in this week, they promiced to fix a few stone chips for me for free so I'll ask then. It could be "wear and tear" but its worth a shout. Cheers.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

northernalex

Spoke to my local dealer (Minories Durham) and they say that should the crack start getting any bigger they will put a new soft top on for me.  Hows that for service (plus they made me a double expresso and gave me a mint).  The greeter lady had imensly spikey hair and was very very hyper.  

Cheers
evileye_xc said:

loadswine

Cool, its good to see dealers looking after their punters.
Perhaps you should take the hyper spiky lady out in the 2 to see if her hair stays spiky!!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: