Roof seal wear?

Started by Two's Company, April 18, 2006, 22:14

Two's Company

While washing the car at the weekend I noticed some wear in the top right hand corner of the roof seal.  When the door is opened/closed the glass is pushed under the seal in the corner.

I not sure if this is wear and tear, the car is 3 years old in September or if it has been caused by seal freezing to the glass in the cold weather?

Has anyone else experienced this?  

Cheers

Anonymous

This has happened on my 2000 model and is leaking a bit.

Two's Company

Some water leaked in on the passenger side this weekend and a few weeks back on the drivers side.  On both occasions it was after washing although I've only been using the hosepipe rather than the pressure washer recently as the Karcher is hiding in the garage somewhere and I can't be bothered to dig it out!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'm worried about letting Mr T loose on the roof, how easy is it to replace the main window seal? Or should I say how likely are they they to cock it up?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

I'd expect a new roof would be necessary, and it'll either be fine (my experience) or a total shambles (Stu's experience).

I'd get it sorted under warranty sooner rather than later.

Two's Company

Bugger, I was hoping the seal could be replaced separately!

Tem

Quote from: "Two's Company"I was hoping the seal could be replaced separately!

You can do that, no need to change the whole roof.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Two's Company

Cheers Tem, I will add to the things to get done before the warranty runs out!

Anonymous

Is this the seal between the window and the roof? or the one between the windscreen and sidewindow?

please can you let us all know how much the seal would cost to replace when you get yours done. I know your getting it done under warranty but could you ask MR T how much as mine leaks on passenger side too.

Has anyone else ever replaced such a seal.

Two's Company

It's the one between the side windows and the roof.  I'm not going to have time to get to Mr T for a couple but I'll find out the cost when I do.

It also needs another set of wheels   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I'm not sure whether to wait until the end of warranty to replace or get a set now and they will have bubbled by August.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I would say wait till the end of your warranty. I had mine swapped at the end of my warranty and now a year and a month on the new set are showing sighns of bubbling again.

Do you think that the corrosion warranty will cover wheels after the 3 years manufacturers waranty?

Two's Company

I don't think they replace them after the warranty has expired.  I know that member with the extended warranty haven't been able to get them replaced.

Anonymous

Hi

I'm having the same problem on my 2000, the seal seems to leak when the rair is heavy or when washing it.

I'd done nothing to it but i did re-connect the strap in the hood and thats when its all started. Should i dis-connect the strap?

Thanks   s:? :? s:?

GSB

Quote from: "predator_etal"Hi

I'm having the same problem on my 2000, the seal seems to leak when the rair is heavy or when washing it.

I'd done nothing to it but i did re-connect the strap in the hood and thats when its all started. Should i dis-connect the strap?

Thanks   s:? :? s:?

The strap is slack when the hood is up, so that wont be it. (assuming of course, that you have connected the strap correctly...)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

One possibility not mentioned is a small plastic-coated metal tab, attached to the windscreen, that may be improperly bent.  See this post on Spyderchat for a reference.

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=29311 m

Anonymous

Quotepredator_etal wrote:
Hi

Thanks  

update

The problem seems to be coming from the seals or roof at the top of the drivers door (the part were the two rubbers meet) in heavy rain or washing the car water drips at a very fast rate onto the drivers seat.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  however it drips from the inside of the car?   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Any suggestions on how to fix etc very welcome  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Thanks

kanujunkie

only thing i can suggest is to make sure the seals haven't got caught up in the wrong way. Theres a small flappy bit that should be on the outside and extends further back over the other seal. If thats missing then you will need to replace the seal but they aint cheap.

If anyone has a leak in the seal away from the joint then you can always have the amount of pressure that the glass puts on the seal adjusted, but dont ask me how they do it, Mr.T did mine
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: