clonking on Full Lock

Started by Anonymous, April 20, 2006, 10:50

Anonymous

Just reading about peoples problems with clonking on full lock. I too suffered from such a prblem.

Now I have new tyres this has gone away.

Must be the tight turning radius of the front tyres. Maybe on new tyres the movement is taken up by the movement in the tread block. My previous inner edges of my tyres were bald and hence no tread movement would have taken place.

What do people think of this theory??

spit

I'd support the notion that its Tyre-related, but there are other strands of theory kicking about.

I noticed it was very bad on worn tyres and also in the cold when the rubber is harder, so that would support your thinking.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I have changed my tyres to no avail; the problem(?) persists.  I have a feeling it might have something to do with the pump (or a part of it) being inadequate in handling full lock presure.  It's just another theory though.

heathstimpson

As I previously mentioned I believe its a combo of the 2's geometry as explained by Grant (GSB) several times, front tyre wear along with cold temperatures which make the tyre harder and cause the slip  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Chris_h

Voila!

At 2.15 pm my car clonked on full lock - at 2.30pm all clonking gone.

Changed from worn RE040 with inner tread block almost bald to A539 17"

Is the clonking unique to the RE040? maybe it occurs more as the inner tread block goes bald as seems to occur with this tyre up front.

Anyways, if you have 'the clonks'   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I shouldn't worry
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Tags: