My First Stone Chip (and its got rust in it already)

Started by northernalex, April 20, 2006, 20:26

northernalex

Had the car just over 2 weeks and there's a stonechip with some rust in it.  Is it easy to take the light fitting out to clean round the side of the chip (and avoid getting touch up paint on the light).

Also went to Halfords to get a stonechip kit.. said id had a "Toyota MR2 2002 - in Lagoon Blue"  They said they couldnt find the colour on the computer because with itallian cars they often translate the colours wrong.  Didnt have the heart to tell him.

anyone know of the top of their heads what the lagoon blue colour code is?

evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

aaronjb

8M6

Not a stock colour at Halfords, you'll have to get them to order it in if they can get it, other than that it's a trip to Toymota.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

the good news is it ist expensive   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

where are you al, ive got some.

northernalex

Quite a way mate, live in Durham.  But thanks anyway.

(Sorted out some rust killa from halfords already)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Chris_h

FWIW (and you probably already know) Halford gets its name Halfrauds for the cost of its touch up paint. They packaged them with primer and a load of things you don't need and charge a fortune.

I have always found main dealers as cheap or cheaper than Halfords for touch up paint. May only be a few quid, but i hate being ripped off by the boy racer store.

C
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

northernalex

£5.50 for a touch up paint set. Although in the instructions it says to apply primer first before using the paint. Went back to mr T and was told that noone uses the primer!  Oh well, cheers all for your advice. Gonna paint me calipers today, hope it stays sunny.
evileye_xc said:

gun41

Had the 2 for 6 months

I love it, but have to say its the worst car i've had for stone chip
even got a chip on the windscreen Autoglass repairing tomorrow

have to get one of those touch up paints

do other members have the same trouble
2005 55 Plate, Silver, Red Leather Seats, TTE Style Bar, TTE Rear Sports spoiler, Chrome Fuel Surround

Jigwar

Quote from: "gun41"do other members have the same trouble

Yes! Like someone had taken a pot of white paint and liberally flicked it over the bumper.

And its exponential: touch-up one - think how well you've done so will take car for a spin - return to find two - touch-up - out - return - 4    s:!: :!: s:!:   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Anonymous

Well mine's an 06 reg and I have noticed 2 stone chips with rust already I am shocked I thought I was seeing things! I am going to MR T!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

It's worth remembering that the '2 is a low-slung sports car, not a great big SUV: You are going to get stone chips, regardless of how you drive or how thick Toyota put the paint on. For my mind, it's not even worth worrying about since the fun of the car more than makes up for a few tiny little white marks. Best way to solve it is to wait until you've got a few hundred, then get the entire front resprayed: May cost a bit more, but it'll look better than a thousand touch-up repairs.

FWIW, the VX is even worse: It already had a couple of chips when I picked it up. Didn't bother me though, as I know I'll be putting plenty more on it myself!  s:D :D s:D

Beowulf

Now I work a bit father from home,I have to travel on the motorway everyday,and I am getting a lot more now (bummer  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ).However,I have a Y reg 2001 roadster (26k on the clock,but now rising rapidly),and although I bought it second hand from the main dealers,it came with a tiny pot of touch up paint  s:) :) s:)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:D :D s:D  !! It has been invaluable recently.
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

kanujunkie

thing i would like to point out here is that in all my mileage, 50K of them, 90% of the stonechips have been on track and yes i do do a lot of motorway mileage, my daily trip is 30miles each way round the M25. The 2 is bad for stonechips but i do beleive that it aint as bad as some make out, that is of course IMHO
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

I saw the stone the other day go towards me, hit the screen and deflect.

i was scared, it was like slow motion. It was thrown up by a 4x4 on the m3

/?>.

Chris_h

Quote from: "philster_d"I saw the stone the other day go towards me, hit the screen and deflect.

i was scared, it was like slow motion. It was thrown up by a 4x4 on the m3

/?>.

They make a hell of a noise don't they?

I had one in the screen a few weeks ago - made me jump!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

So far, I haven't found this car to be much worse than any other I have owned for stone chips.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

mrsmr2

I have plenty of chips.  Some in really nasty to get to places as well.  I've got quite a few on the sides as well where stones have bounced off.

I quite liked the Halfords kit, the brush they supply (more like a stick) was very effective for clearing out the surface rust (unlike the tough metal brush supplied with the MR T touch up paint), and the primer was easy to apply.

Don't worry too much about chips - they are inevitable.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

roger

Unlike Dan, every time I wash I checkout chips and touch up if necessary. I think get them quickly, and its not too bad.

I've only had 1 each on bonnet & screen surround (and I gave a little care to these), but on the "plastic" of the bumper the one-touch touch up makes it look like new. perhaps its the flaky effect of the sable helps a lot here.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

anyone know if there is any of them plastic cover sheet thingies for the '2 I know they do them for Lotus Elise would be a good idea?
evileye_xc said:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "northernalex"anyone know if there is any of them plastic cover sheet thingies for the '2 I know they do them for Lotus Elise would be a good idea?
Grant (GSB) was looking at a GB on some decent ones a while ago but there was not much interest; pm him for details on them  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

Quote from: "northernalex"anyone know if there is any of them plastic cover sheet thingies for the '2 I know they do them for Lotus Elise would be a good idea?

what a car bra?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

northernalex

yeah thats the thing.. a car bra.. ( I thought you were jokign when i first saw that but I think its actually the correct term!!)
evileye_xc said:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "northernalex"yeah thats the thing.. a car bra.. ( I thought you were jokign when i first saw that but I think its actually the correct term!!)

Car Bra's are actually an American product but heres a company that'll do it in the UK

m http://www.tintsaway.co.uk/clearshield.htm m

i found it on google
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

funny we saw one on the way to JAE last year, on a pimped out beetle, looked all leathery.

Phil

Tags: